Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cargo space is most important for me as I need to fit 2 dog crates in the back. It looks like the HR-V will be adequate, but I need to go back and put a crate into the back. I did test drive a HR-V (EX-L) and a CR-V, but only on a short trip on some side streets as it was rush hour. Will be going back again soon for a longer test drive.

I hate that the lower part of the seat on the CR-V flips forward, really prefer the magic seat. My dealer only had received black, modern steel and white. Ruled out the EX as I do not like the cloth on the doors, but the cloth seats were nice.

One major concern I have is the weird fabric covering the floor. It is not carpet, and not really sure what that would even be called. My concern is whether it will be a magnet for dog hair, more so than carpet. Or maybe it would be easier to vacuum? That same weird fabric is used in the back sides in the cargo area. Cargo area in the CR-V is not that same material as in the HR-V. Another concern I have is that there is no vent going to the rear area like there is for the CR-V.

I went to look at a Subaru Crosstrek and there is no way to even fit a 2X3 foot crate in it. They recommended the Forester, but I would not be interested in the 2015 model, would wait for the 2016 if I really wanted to.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dermochelys......I think I had seen that site a while ago, but looking at that does help a good bit. One thing shown on there which is really nice, and our US version does not have it, is a storage compartment in the rear. Former generation RAV4 have the same compartment.

I just looked at the accessories again and they do have a cargo liner that looks like it will cover all the carpet in the rear, so as long as the crates fit, that would work!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got two dogs as well, but only one that needs to travel in a crate. I will definitely be getting the cargo liner and the rear seat cover to make cleaning the hair an easier task.

Reactions: KimK

·
Registered
205 Posts
You could also consider Weathertech mats, they come up the sides about 2" so that they collect water/snow melt. A bunch of my friends all have them that I go skiing with and they're great! I knew I'd be updating my car the last 2 years so I haven't been interested in getting those kinds of accessories, but will consider them on my next car which will probably be the HRV.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks Dermochelys......I think I had seen that site a while ago, but looking at that does help a good bit. One thing shown on there which is really nice, and our US version does not have it, is a storage compartment in the rear. Former generation RAV4 have the same compartment.

I just looked at the accessories again and they do have a cargo liner that looks like it will cover all the carpet in the rear, so as long as the crates fit, that would work!
I think the Japanese get that storage under the floor because most of theirs are hybrids that don't come with a spare tire and have the battery pack down there instead with a little room left over for those cubbies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hoping to revive this thread a bit. I have two 70-80lbs dogs and am debating the HR-V, I'm extremely curious to hear more from any dog + HR-V owners! Mine don't currently ride in kennels, but I would possibly go that route depending how they fit. (Problem is they'd need decent sized ones.)

I am coming from an old Civic sedan, so they're used to that back seat. It's tight, but I have foam extenders that are flush with the back seat to make it a slightly larger area for them. Now that I'm replacing it, I'm wanting something that will work a bit better for them. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm ready for a SUV, even the CR-V seems a big big and I'm probably looking a couple years used to get more within my price range (or new with a really basic model). Whereas HR-V magic seats are very appealing, and the EX would get me great features in an attractive price range with the warranty of a new vehicle.

So please, if you have dogs and have been using the HR-V or have checked it out and have any opinion I'd be very happy to hear. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just a single 80 pound lab here (not overweight, just big!). The magic seats work great for him. I pull the bottoms of the seats up against the backs and then put our outdoor love seat cushion on the floor. He has a ton of room and his hair doesn't end up on the seats, it's a win-win! Plus it's very easy for him to get in and out of the car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
772 Posts
The HRV drives like a car, not like an suv- that's one of my favorite aspects.

It's only 10" longer than the fit, and is in fact, 20" shorter than my old accord.

For 2 big dogs, I'd probably put the back seats down and let them have all the room.
Otherwise, I think they might be cramped

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hoping to revive this thread a bit. I have two 70-80lbs dogs and am debating the HR-V, I'm extremely curious to hear more from any dog + HR-V owners! Mine don't currently ride in kennels, but I would possibly go that route depending how they fit. (Problem is they'd need decent sized ones.)

I am coming from an old Civic sedan, so they're used to that back seat. It's tight, but I have foam extenders that are flush with the back seat to make it a slightly larger area for them. Now that I'm replacing it, I'm wanting something that will work a bit better for them. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm ready for a SUV, even the CR-V seems a big big and I'm probably looking a couple years used to get more within my price range (or new with a really basic model). Whereas HR-V magic seats are very appealing, and the EX would get me great features in an attractive price range with the warranty of a new vehicle.

So please, if you have dogs and have been using the HR-V or have checked it out and have any opinion I'd be very happy to hear. :)
I checked it out a lot, taking all sorts of measurements, putting crates in the back, etc. I can confirm that 2 crates that are 2x3 feet and 28 inches tall will fit in the back, either width wise or perpendicular to one another. Your dogs should fit in those just fine. The cargo floor is very low loading, another large plus. Low bumper height and rear door side entry. Others have said to check out the back floor as it may not be very sturdy, so you may want to do that, and reinforce the floor with something if you are not using crates. The safest way for dogs to travel is in crates, and ideally they should be tied down. I have seen crash test videos and it is horrible what can happen in a collision. There are only several crates that have passed the crash test.

Another huge plus is that for the HR-V, even if you use a crate that you can not see through very well, you still can see over top of it, because of the low cargo floor. With my 28 inch tall crate in the back, I could still see out 2/3 of the top rear window.

I did not purchase an HR-V because of my concern for how well it may handle in our winter weather. Also after test driving the Forester and the Outback, I prefer the very smooth ride that they have for my Golden (and future Golden pup I will be getting). I loved the HR-V and was all set to buy it, was just waiting for a blue EX-L to arrive, but that did not happen, and I started looking at other options. I did not care for the CR-V as the rear seat does not fold flat, and the bottom part flips up and sits behind the front seats. That is just a hair magnet sitting there! And there is a vibration issue for the current CR-V that has not been fixed.

If you have not test driven the HR-V, I suggest you do so. I think you will love it! It rides more like a car, and feels more like a car, IMHO. The cargo area is just amazing for the size of the vehicle. If you decide not to crate your dogs, I would recommend safety harnesses for them to help protect them in the unlikely event of an accident.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have 2 60 lb dogs and use 1- 23x36x24 tall and 1- 23x36x26 tall crates that are technically a little small for our dogs and they just fit side by side in the back of our 2014 Pilot.

I Have measured but not tried to fit them in our HRV yet but the taller crate will easily fit in the back seat area with the seat folded up so it is deepest and the smaller one is going to be tight sideways in the back. It may scratch and damage the glass from rubbing on it.

With the back seat folded down our 26 tall crate will NOT fit in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have 2 60 lb dogs and use 1- 23x36x24 tall and 1- 23x36x26 tall crates that are technically a little small for our dogs and they just fit side by side in the back of our 2014 Pilot.

I Have measured but not tried to fit them in our HRV yet but the taller crate will easily fit in the back seat area with the seat folded up so it is deepest and the smaller one is going to be tight sideways in the back. It may scratch and damage the glass from rubbing on it.

With the back seat folded down our 26 tall crate will NOT fit in.
Were you trying to fit it in through the side door or the back? I put in a 28 inch tall 2 foot wide by 3 foot long in through the back hatch with ease. And like I said, visibility was great. I did not put two in there, but marked where the front one was, then placed the crate in the back and made sure the door would close. The same crate also fit in the back with the seats up, and the door closed. Really amazing considering the outside dimensions of the HR-V.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I just thought of something......my measurements were done with the seats further forward since I am short. If the front seats are further back, this must be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I checked it out a lot, taking all sorts of measurements, putting crates in the back, etc. I can confirm that 2 crates that are 2x3 feet and 28 inches tall will fit in the back, either width wise or perpendicular to one another. Your dogs should fit in those just fine. The cargo floor is very low loading, another large plus. Low bumper height and rear door side entry. Others have said to check out the back floor as it may not be very sturdy, so you may want to do that, and reinforce the floor with something if you are not using crates. The safest way for dogs to travel is in crates, and ideally they should be tied down. I have seen crash test videos and it is horrible what can happen in a collision. There are only several crates that have passed the crash test.

Another huge plus is that for the HR-V, even if you use a crate that you can not see through very well, you still can see over top of it, because of the low cargo floor. With my 28 inch tall crate in the back, I could still see out 2/3 of the top rear window.

I did not purchase an HR-V because of my concern for how well it may handle in our winter weather. Also after test driving the Forester and the Outback, I prefer the very smooth ride that they have for my Golden (and future Golden pup I will be getting). I loved the HR-V and was all set to buy it, was just waiting for a blue EX-L to arrive, but that did not happen, and I started looking at other options. I did not care for the CR-V as the rear seat does not fold flat, and the bottom part flips up and sits behind the front seats. That is just a hair magnet sitting there! And there is a vibration issue for the current CR-V that has not been fixed.

If you have not test driven the HR-V, I suggest you do so. I think you will love it! It rides more like a car, and feels more like a car, IMHO. The cargo area is just amazing for the size of the vehicle. If you decide not to crate your dogs, I would recommend safety harnesses for them to help protect them in the unlikely event of an accident.
What did you ultimately decide on? Why were you concerned about the HR-V in cold weather?

I've got a short list right now, mainly the HR-V and the Forester. I don't want to completely rule out the CR-V, but it's not as appealing as the Forester to me (and they're so similar). CR-V has such a mom-mobile feel or something. I haven't looked at the Outback because I have an aversion to wagons. For my budget, I am not sure if I could do a new Forester but I definitely want to go check them out in person this week. I'm still bummed there are no HR-Vs in stock here.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still stuck between Forester and Outback. Forester is much more nimble than the CR-V. Premium Forester will cost less than CR-V, if my memory is correct.

Lower ground clearance on HR-V has me concerned in my area. Forester or Outback will be better suited for my needs.

Look around for internet price on the Forester.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am still stuck between Forester and Outback. Forester is much more nimble than the CR-V. Premium Forester will cost less than CR-V, if my memory is correct.

Lower ground clearance on HR-V has me concerned in my area. Forester or Outback will be better suited for my needs.

Look around for internet price on the Forester.
Ahh, gotcha. Good luck with your search! I guess if I survived 14 years in a FWD low to the ground compact vehicle I'm not terribly concerned about clearance, anything is better than what I'd gotten used to. ;)

I'm pretty stuck here in Alaska when it comes to competition, but I did notice it seems like Forester is better priced. Safety and reliability is fantastic as well for it. I am going to try and get in one this week, see if I can decide if that size feels right or if it's a bit too big and maybe lean to the HR-V.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahh, gotcha. Good luck with your search! I guess if I survived 14 years in a FWD low to the ground compact vehicle I'm not terribly concerned about clearance, anything is better than what I'd gotten used to. ;)

I'm pretty stuck here in Alaska when it comes to competition, but I did notice it seems like Forester is better priced. Safety and reliability is fantastic as well for it. I am going to try and get in one this week, see if I can decide if that size feels right or if it's a bit too big and maybe lean to the HR-V.
Thank you!

Let me know what you think after driving both of them. The Forester is not much wider than the HR-V, maybe just over an inch, but it is maybe 11 inches longer. You sit fairly high up in it when driving, but it does drive very nice. Make sure you drive both of them on roads with lots of potholes and lots of curves to get a true comparison test drive for both of them. The HR-V has more of a car feel, may be closer to what you are used to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you!

Let me know what you think after driving both of them. The Forester is not much wider than the HR-V, maybe just over an inch, but it is maybe 11 inches longer. You sit fairly high up in it when driving, but it does drive very nice. Make sure you drive both of them on roads with lots of potholes and lots of curves to get a true comparison test drive for both of them. The HR-V has more of a car feel, may be closer to what you are used to.
Unfortunately there are no HR-Vs in stock. I may actually get in a Chevrolet Trax just to have a general idea of size/feel of the HR-V, which I imagine being a better version of the Trax. I guess that's my bias of owning a Honda previously.

Potholes? No problem. There's no other kind of road here. I see a lot of Foresters, which bodes well I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts