Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew about this training event in my area, but I didn't think I would get to go until just this morning and my schedule freed up. Considering the embargo ends tomorrow morning, I don't have really have much to say here as I only got 5 minutes to see and sit in the car. The training was going on in another room, but I wasn't allowed to attend it, and a salesmen who had gone to the earlier training just showed me the vehicle, but mentioned that he was told that it was still "top secret" and I could just do a quick look.

So anyway, my observations....

1) It's much more a jacked up hatchback rather than a small SUV in my eyes. It reminded me more of a VW Golf that's been raised up a bit or even just a 5 door Civic.

2) The windshield had a rock chip in it that had created a crack about 8" long. The salesmen said it wasn't there that morning, so sitting in the Northern California sun might have cause the crack to grow that day! I don't think this is a big worry specific to the HR-V or anything, it's just unfortunate that it happened to this demo vehicle.

3) The car was black and looked good

4) I was a bit surprised that the cargo area wasn't bigger. It thought it seemed on par with a Fit.

5) Although I only sat in it for a short time, the seats seemed nice and the climate controls and radio were very easy to reach. The cubby was a bit hard to get to however. The center console storage is laughably small.

That's about it, feel free to ask me any questions.

Oh, as I was walking out I walked past a circle of "suits" and one of them asked me what I thought. I think he may have been the owner of the dealership and he was talking with what looked like more corporate people. Anyway, I told him that car looks nice, but mentioned that there are concerns from those of us interested in the car, and it'll be interesting to see how it sells. He did mention that they expect the first delivery to be rolling off of the truck next week and he invited me back for a test drive on one of the first ones they get.

That's all for now, exciting times are just hours away!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I knew about this training event in my area, but I didn't think I would get to go until just this morning and my schedule freed up. Considering the embargo ends tomorrow morning, I don't have really have much to say here as I only got 5 minutes to see and sit in the car. The training was going on in another room, but I wasn't allowed to attend it, and a salesmen who had gone to the earlier training just showed me the vehicle, but mentioned that he was told that it was still "top secret" and I could just do a quick look.

1) It's much more a jacked up hatchback rather than a small SUV in my eyes. It reminded me more of a VW Golf that's been raised up a bit or even just a 5 door Civic.

2) The windshield had a rock chip in it that had created a crack about 8" long. The salesmen said it wasn't there that morning, so sitting in the Northern California sun might have cause the crack to grow that day! I don't think this is a big worry specific to the HR-V or anything, it's just unfortunate that it happened to this demo vehicle.

3) The car was black and looked good

4) I was a bit surprised that the cargo area wasn't bigger. It thought it seemed on par with a Fit.

5) Although I only sat in it for a short time, the seats seemed nice and the climate controls and radio were very easy to reach. The cubby was a bit hard to get to however. The center console storage is laughably small.

That's about it, feel free to ask me any questions.

Oh, as I was walking out I walked past a circle of "suits" and one of them asked me what I thought. I think he may have been the owner of the dealership and he was talking with what looked like more corporate people. Anyway, I told him that car looks nice, but mentioned that there are concerns from those of us interested in the car, and it'll be interesting to see how it sells. He did mention that they expect the first delivery to be rolling off of the truck next week and he invited me back for a test drive on one of the first ones they get.

That's all for now, exciting times are just hours away!

Glad you got to at least look at it. The lack of storage all over the car was something I noticed too. I think I also expected it to be larger inside. Pictures tend to exaggerate the space. What level was it?

Enjoy the test drive!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It was an EX-L, OH....the store owner?? did speculate that CVTs would be produced first and that we would see more manuals entering showrooms a bit later.
That's ok if the CVTs come first . I want a manual and want to wait to see how the quality is before I consider buying. There are manuals headed to dealers I noticed, but that might not be production runs.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's ok if the CVTs come first . I want a manual and want to wait to see how the quality is before I consider buying. There are manuals headed to dealers I noticed, but that might not be production runs.
I think he was just saying that the main focus will be to produce CVTs (and probably EX-Ls) to begin with and that a greater proportion of manuals would come a little bit later, but some would be available at launch.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No excited about the lack of storage, I mean if they want it to be for females, where do I store my purse??
My guess is that's exactly what the "compartment" down by the USB port is for.

Funny purse/car story. About 30 years ago as we were walking away from the car, my mom said "In case I forget, remind me I put my P-U-R-S-E under the seat." I was baffled and asked "What, you don't think criminals can spell or something??" I guess she was in the habit of spelling things out that she didn't want the younger kids to know about. Anyway, 30 years later we still tease her about it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds like Fit style storage (cup holders and a cubby for MP3/phone) vs. CRV/Rav-4 and other family oriented cars with cubbies everywhere for toys, wipeys, purses etc. That's a bit of a bummer, I love the hidden compartments in my mom's Rav and it's a few years old now.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
My guess is that's exactly what the "compartment" down by the USB port is for.

Funny purse/car story. About 30 years ago as we were walking away from the car, my mom said "In case I forget, remind me I put my P-U-R-S-E under the seat." I was baffled and asked "What, you don't think criminals can spell or something??" I guess she was in the habit of spelling things out that she didn't want the younger kids to know about. Anyway, 30 years later we still tease her about it.
Well maybe a couple of men's wallets....

(funny story :) )

·
Registered
255 Posts

Music to my... er, eyes! That's exactly how I hope it'll look / feel. No interest in a junior SUV.
That is a turnoff for me. It seems everything has morphed into a pregnant coupe or a box. I with there was still room for a compact CUV in the traditional sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts