Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a one day trip to north Georgia mountains with ac on and three people in car and up and down hills some and we got 35.4 miles to the gallon which we are very happy?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Cool!

I live in Jackson Co and drive to Marietta everyday. I'm see about 36 through the week. Loose a little running around on the weekends. 2400 mile average is 34. I'm going to spend a little time driving with my scanner plugged in to it and see if I can find a way to drive it so that the VTEC stays active more and see if mileage improves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently let go of the family car- a 1982 Celica that got 25 MPG- I was excited to get 27/31 with the AWD HRV LX. I am getting an average of 26 MPG over 1500 miles- thats 1/3 city and 2/3 open road under clear blue skys. I was on a road trip and did have camping gear. I am DEEPLY disapointed and thinking of cutting my losses and getting rid of this car. I might as well get the Celica back from the kid I practically gave it to!

·
Registered
94 Posts
First two tanks averaged 28.4 (part of this is because when they pulled it up while we were doing paperwork, the guy left it running so it idled for about an hour). My last two tanks have averaged 32.1. I drive in a mix of open road (wouldn't call it highway) and city with an occasional trip to the big city which is mostly highway. Thrilled with the mileage. I've left the Eco Mode on except for briefly when I needed the AC to cool off a car carrying 4 extra passengers. I use Cruise Control as much as I can. I never believed the whole "break in" theory unti our VW, which is the first car I've had with the automatic fuel mileage tracker, suddenly gained several MPGs after the break in period. Hope this holds true on the Honda as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In lots of traffic I've been getting 29 to 30 but I only have 600 miles on my car. I had a 2002 Tahoe that I had bought brand new and I was getting 14 to 15 in town. So I'm very happy. Don't do long road trips but maybe once every year or two. Mostly city in town driving with ac on and still getting 29 to 31

·
Registered
943 Posts
Keep in mind the following benchmarks. EPA estimates of combined fuel economy are 28mpg for 2WD-MT, 31mpg for 2WD-CVT, and 29mpg for AWD. For those who are boasting about anything above these numbers, that means you are driving more highway than the representative mix of the EPA. My experience is that Honda ends up being fairly conservative in their EPA estimates though. My daughter's Civic is rated at 31 combined and she just got over 45 on a road trip.

My HR-V with just over 7,400 miles on the clock is running around 31mpg combined for an AWD model. For those posting, it would be helpful to other readers if you noted the model that you are driving for comparison.

·
Registered
94 Posts
those posting, it would be helpful to other readers if you noted the model that you are driving for comparison.
Thanks for the reminder. I've updated my signature so that future posts will have that information.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I recently let go of the family car- a 1982 Celica that got 25 MPG- I was excited to get 27/31 with the AWD HRV LX. I am getting an average of 26 MPG over 1500 miles- thats 1/3 city and 2/3 open road under clear blue skys. I was on a road trip and did have camping gear. I am DEEPLY disapointed and thinking of cutting my losses and getting rid of this car. I might as well get the Celica back from the kid I practically gave it to!
First two tanks averaged 28.4 (part of this is because when they pulled it up while we were doing paperwork, the guy left it running so it idled for about an hour). My last two tanks have averaged 32.1. I drive in a mix of open road (wouldn't call it highway) and city with an occasional trip to the big city which is mostly highway. Thrilled with the mileage. I've left the Eco Mode on except for briefly when I needed the AC to cool off a car carrying 4 extra passengers. I use Cruise Control as much as I can. I never believed the whole "break in" theory unti our VW, which is the first car I've had with the automatic fuel mileage tracker, suddenly gained several MPGs after the break in period. Hope this holds true on the Honda as well.
Keep in mind the following benchmarks. EPA estimates of combined fuel economy are 28mpg for 2WD-MT, 31mpg for 2WD-CVT, and 29mpg for AWD. For those who are boasting about anything above these numbers, that means you are driving more highway than the representative mix of the EPA. My experience is that Honda ends up being fairly conservative in their EPA estimates though. My daughter's Civic is rated at 31 combined and she just got over 45 on a road trip.

My HR-V with just over 7,400 miles on the clock is running around 31mpg combined for an AWD model. For those posting, it would be helpful to other readers if you noted the model that you are driving for comparison.

This is directly from Honda's website. If you are getting more than this, you are doing great. Usually these numbers are best case scenarios for every day driving so if you are matching these numbers, you are doing perfectly fine. If you expected higher numbers for your model, you should have bought a different car.
6-Speed Manual Transmission (6MT) (2WD) City: 25 MPG•• Highway: 34 MPG•• Combined: 28 MPG••
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (2WD) City: 28 MPG•••Highway: 35 MPG•••Combined: 31 MPG•••
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (AWD) City: 27 MPG•••Highway: 32 MPG•••Combined: 29 MPG•••
Fuel Tank Capacity: 13.2 gal•••Required Fuel: Regular Unleaded•••

·
Registered
402 Posts

I'm driving a 6 speed LX with just over 3000 miles on it. I'm getting 35 combined. I don't spend much time in stop & go. But I do drive through lots of hilly areas and use the a/c. I run 40psi in the tires and drive 70mph or less. Use the cruise as much as possible.

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
Went on a one day trip to north Georgia mountains with ac on and three people in car and up and down hills some and we got 35.4 miles to the gallon which we are very happy?
My 2021 is getting 31.5 driving around Tuscaloosa. I am very careful though. But yes, I am pleased.

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT
10 Posts
Honda HR-V Forum

PhilofCilcain

Fuel Consumption

Jump to LatestFollow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

P
Phil of Cilcain
·Registered
Joined 1 mo ago
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 3 d ago

My first long journey in my 2019 EX CVT. 1.5 litre Earth Dreams petrol/gas engine. 145 miles, a mix of twisty, hilly, rough roads, some town work in light traffic, 70 miles clear highway. I had 3, 2 hour stops. I avoided harsh acceleration unless necessary, and apart from one or two bursts up to 70mph to overtake, kept the speed down to 60mph. Result: 54.4mpg (43mpg US gallon- 4.3l/100km).
The vehicle has done 5k miles and I would expect the economy to improve further with additional mileage. The tyres are Micheline Primacy 3, 215 x 17" (as supplied new). I don't know what oil the dealer put in during the last service, but I will be using a full synthetic 0W-20 in the future, most likely Honda's own brand. Conclusion:
I would say the vehicle's fuel consumption can only be considered excellent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts