Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tapped someone’s trailer hitch today (pictures below).
1. Doesn’t seem to be any damage other than the plastic. Still planning to get the front end looked at. Worth taking to the dealer, or do you think a local shop would be the right move?

2. Looking for suggestions on a replacement grille. “Replacement” part via a third party is running just under $100, “OEM” looks like 150. And honestly they look to be the exact same. Or is there a cool aftermarket grille people are digging? Also how hard of a swap is this? Can I do it in my driveway or should I get it done by a shop?
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Hood Grille

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Grille Hood
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Grille Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
There is a lot to be said for living in a country or State that insists on front Vehicle Registration Plates 😈

Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

You mention replacing the grill, what about the bumper as it appears to be cracked?

I don't know what the setup is with Honda but on a FIAT I owned in the late 90's the radiator was attached to either the bumper or the valance. Unfortunately, I ran over something on the road which caused the bumper or valance to bend back, which forced the radiator to bend backwards ripping the plastic seals off the radiator dumping its contents over the road. It may be worth giving the radiator a thorough checking over.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
105 Posts
There is a lot to be said for living in a country or State that insists on front Vehicle Registration Plates 😈

View attachment 32827

You mention replacing the grill, what about the bumper as it appears to be cracked?

I don't know what the setup is with Honda but on a FIAT I owned in the late 90's the radiator was attached to either the bumper or the valance. Unfortunately, I ran over something on the road which caused the bumper or valance to bend back, which forced the radiator to bend backwards ripping the plastic seals off the radiator dumping its contents over the road. It may be worth giving the radiator a thorough checking over.
That crack should be repairable if he can locate somebody who does plastics welding work. Should be no need to buy a whole bumper, it doesn't look that bad.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I doubt there is any structural damage based on what I can see in these pictures. There have been a few folks who have taken off the front bumper and grill to replace the headlights with those from the Vezel. I'd go the replace yourself route if you're hand with a wrench and have a few spare hours (or day) to do the job yourself. An estimate won't hurt though as it would show you if there is something else that a professional can see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Came back at $1700 to fix at dealer, including the paint to fix the scratch on the bumper (not cracked). I can honestly live with a scratch on a 5 year old car. It turns out the RH side Headlamp mounting brackets broke and I need to replace that mainly. Likely seeing if I can purchase parts myself and see if someone else can put it on. Parts all together, OEM not through the dealer are around $450.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
I can honestly live with a scratch on a 5 year old car.
My vehicle got hit by some road debris that broke the 'H' logo in the grill. I know the part rattles when I clean the car with my pressure hose, but cannot hear it whilst driving. Dealership want nearly £450 to replace the plastic between the headlights, the logo is £18.

Car Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive tire

As much as I like my vehicles to be as pristine as possible, I thought I would be bothered driving around with that broken piece, turns out I'm not £450 worth of bother about it.

You may get similar quality parts at a lower price from a junkyard(?), we call them scrapyards, or scrappies. It appears to have gone all high tech from when I used to rummage around them seeking parts in the late 80's, a lot of them now place the vehicles they have available on their website and what components they have from each.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tapped someone’s trailer hitch today (pictures below).
1. Doesn’t seem to be any damage other than the plastic. Still planning to get the front end looked at. Worth taking to the dealer, or do you think a local shop would be the right move?

2. Looking for suggestions on a replacement grille. “Replacement” part via a third party is running just under $100, “OEM” looks like 150. And honestly they look to be the exact same. Or is there a cool aftermarket grille people are digging? Also how hard of a swap is this? Can I do it in my driveway or should I get it done by a shop?
View attachment 32823
View attachment 32825 View attachment 32825
View attachment 32824
As my ex was an excellent body man, I’d never go to a dealer for either mechanical or body work. They tend to overcharge and sometimes not even correct the exact problem. Best thing imo is to ask friends for recommendations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sister cracked my grill, i told her to buy me new one. google searched:
Product Font Rectangle Line Slope

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

work was mainly popping around 20 pins
Photograph White Product Black Font

useful to have body tools, but i've done it with just flathead driver. also need philips driver and socket set
Product Font Material property Electric blue Tool

about an hour to take off, just left the bumper hanging off
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

swap in and glue the logo and chrome
Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

note plate was previously screwed into bumper because needed to drive while grill was being shipped.
bumper holds plate much better than the brittle hollow grill anyway. total time about 2-3 hr.

·
Registered
101 Posts
View attachment 32859
View attachment 32860

View attachment 32861
useful to have body tools, but i've done it with just flathead driver. also need philips driver and socket set
View attachment 32862
about an hour to take off, just left the bumper hanging off View attachment 32864
View attachment 32863

View attachment 32865
note plate was previously screwed into bumper because needed to drive while grill was being shipped.
bumper holds plate much better than the brittle hollow grill anyway. total time about 2-3 hr.
I wanted to move my plate to lower grill but searching matrial to back it inside. In meantime I just move the plate down using existing holes. While only two screws holding it I coated them with GOOP which results in elasticity type stuff. Getting too cold to play now
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

·
Registered
236 Posts
View attachment 32859
View attachment 32860

View attachment 32861
View attachment 32862
about an hour to take off, just left the bumper hanging off View attachment 32864
View attachment 32863

View attachment 32865

·
Registered
236 Posts
View attachment 32859
View attachment 32860

View attachment 32861
View attachment 32862
View attachment 32863

View attachment 32865
Can the upper part of the grille....number 2 in the parts photo be replaced without removing the entire front grill????

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wanted to move my plate to lower grill but searching matrial to back it inside. In meantime I just move the plate down using existing holes. While only two screws holding it I coated them with GOOP which results in elasticity type stuff. Getting too cold to play now
View attachment 32869
Just out of curiosity, what is that red circular pin on the front side? If it was in the middle, it’d look like a tow pin 😆

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 32859
View attachment 32860

View attachment 32861
View attachment 32862
View attachment 32863

View attachment 32865
This is my plan. And your photos help a lot. I’ve got a buddy who’s a former mechanic, figure he’s done something like this a few times. Figured I can pay him for his time, but the parts myself and have it done quicker for half the price

1 - 17 of 17 Posts