Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having great difficulty finding a gun safe for a full size pistol which can be installed in my 2018 HR-V in an inconspicuous but easy quick access location from the driver's seat without interfering with driver/passenger comfort.

I've seen larger vehicles accommodate gun safes nicely, but I haven't seen too many (none) for smaller vehicle's.

I love my HR-V, but this is one project I'm having no success with solving.

TYIA

· Read only
29 Posts
Check the link below as the portable safes for the compact or large pistols are about the only option we have available given the fact the center console is barely big enough to hold one compact 9mm magazine and a Snickers bar. Even then, with the portable safe, you'll most likely have it tethered under the Magic Seat in the second row which fails to meet your requirements. So, as an option, I also have the second link below (Tac Mag) which per my state laws permits me to have my weapon within easy reach of when I'm in the driver's seat. Laws affected what you do may vary from state to state or even counties/cities so be sure to check it out.

Companies such as Console Vault and Lockerdown don't offer anything for the HRV. I'm not endorsing the Tuffy product as I don't use it because I don't have a high degree of confidence in the cable but do use the Tac Mag which securely holds the weapon without damaging it. I don't own stock or derive any benefit but am simply giving my opinion based up my personal experience with it over the past three years.

Tuffy Products Portable Safes

Tac Mag – 2A4LIFE

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've researched the tac-mag as well as other similar concepts and have decided not to pursue that direction due to safety concerns. One being no trigger guard, another being if the vehicle is in an accident the gun can be dislodged allowing it to bounce around inside and/or outside the vehicle which could cause the gun to discharge if something were to strike the trigger while flying around. It's a great concept for quick access when you may need it, but just falls short for safety in certain conditions.
My need isn't so much to store it while I'm in the vehicle, but for storage of my pistol when entering a Federal buildings.

· Read only
29 Posts
I've researched the tac-mag as well as other similar concepts and have decided not to pursue that direction due to safety concerns. One being no trigger guard, another being if the vehicle is in an accident the gun can be dislodged allowing it to bounce around inside and/or outside the vehicle which could cause the gun to discharge if something were to strike the trigger while flying around. It's a great concept for quick access when you may need it, but just falls short for safety in certain conditions.
My need isn't so much to store it while I'm in the vehicle, but for storage of my pistol when entering a Federal buildings.
Yep, you're driving the wrong car if looking to store a weapon. Like storing a 9mm in a tuna can...

As for the Tac Mag, I was hit in my previous truck by an idiot who failed to yield to a stop sign. He hit me square in crew cab, passenger side, and the force proceed to put me in the ditch with the truck on its side. I crawled out the top door and waited for police/wrecker to arrive. The wrecker did its job getting it upright but before towing it away the Trooper accompanied me to my truck so I could retrieve my 9mm. I failed to grab it while exiting the vehicle in haste. We both were amazed to find the 9mm was still stuck to the Tac Mag as it NEVER moved. I respect your opinion but still use them to this day as I'm sold on them.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's sad to hear about your unfortunate experience, but good to hear your pistol stayed put. However, it still wouldn't solve much for me in the part of securing my "life saving tool" (Words altered soas not to offend the ignorant, foolish, and even the utterly insane Woke imbeciles.) from would be thieves when I have to enter a Federal building. I would use their defense weapon lockers, but it's often more time consuming than the time it takes me to do what I'm there for, lol. Anyhow, there are also a few other locations where I'm not permitted to take it in, and I'd feel much better if I knew there wasn't a chance of it being stolen.

As it is now, the only possible location I'm considering as capable would be under the steering column. There's quite a lot of room there, but I'd have to weld up a chassis that can be secured to current bolts all ready present surrounding that location. I was hoping someone may have found an easier solution. I do think it's doable, it's just going to take some custom retrofitting in order to get it done.

· Registered
1,297 Posts
Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of our gen of HRVs. I too would like to have a secure location to put a gun safe in. The console is too small. The glove box is just a piece of flimsy plastic. You can't dill into the floorpan with the gas tank right under your driver's side seats. Even the rear hatch isn't great, although if you wanted to sacrifice the spare tire you might be able to weld up something and install it there.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of our gen of HRVs. I too would like to have a secure location to put a gun safe in.
When the weather warms up I'm going to fabricate a chassis to mount a gun safe tucked up and under behind the steering column.
I'll need to do some research, but it currently looks like there's enough room there without causing any hazards to the driver in the event of a crash.

· Registered
768 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Headrests are easily removable from any vehicle. I don't see any mention of how that Headrest Gunsafe is secured to the seat.
If you research it, you will learn about the securing method. It is definitely secured.

To be honest, I like the concept, but I don't like how anyone can see in the vehicle when you put things in it.
Part of using a vehicle safe has to do with not letting the thieves know it's there. That's a lot harder to do if the thieves are watching and happened to see you put things in the headrest safe.
While the headrest safe isn't removable once installed, I do believe a good heavy duty bold cutter could cut through the headrest support bars, and there goes the headrest safe all because they saw you put things into it.

I'd rather stick with a covert safe out of plain sight. Especially given the headrest safe is an astronomical price at $550 for a matching pair. Despite it being a great concept, they're over valuing it and most people aren't going to want to spend that kind of money for it. I know I'm not willing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts