Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 LX with manual climate and my wife is complaining that the knob is hard to turn when very cold out. The components to change over to touch screen can be taken out of a salvaged EX/EX-L. Just wondering if anyone has tried this or removed the heater box to know of any complications? From the parts list the rear/top portion of the heater box needs to be swapped out, among the other components

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Funny, many of us who own a touch screen ex would love to have manual buttons...has she actually test driven one?

I think it's going to be more than a panel, all the blend doors internally and other components would likely need to swap. I assume the LX has manual doors, where the higher models have vacuum or electrical operated doors. Not to mention the temp sensors for automatic climate control...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wow, the knob is difficult to turn. I can’t imagine the new and ongoing problems you would have with this conversion IF it could actually be done.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Funny, many of us who own a touch screen ex would love to have manual buttons...has she actually test driven one?

Exactly - you will see many complaints about the sensitivity or lack of sensitivity of the touch screen on this forum. Some opted to avoid touchscreen by getting the LX model. If your car is still under warranty, bring it back to the dealer and see if there is something that need to be fixed on the knob.

·
Registered
43 Posts
don't do it. Touch screen suuuuuuucks. Seriously - it's the only thing I hate about my car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that there is such disdain for the touch screen. Yes, the conversion would probably be a bit of a pain in the butt, but thought it was worth investigating. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment since I did the conversion already from standard radio to EX-L touch screen stereo with navigation and we love it

·
Registered
132 Posts
well...

True - knobs and dials are becoming rare these days. Probably can open the front door at home with one's iPhone... Flush the twirlit, etc. etc

Have we lost control of specific, necessary muscles due to lack of working with knobs, dials and switches? Perhaps a kind of atrophy is setting-in...
or maybe... we can't be troubled by Grandpa's 'old-tech' - that would be defined as: any manually-operated things as opposed to digitally (one-finger), operated.

Is she at all able to stir your breakfast oatmeal, or is a power-tiller of some kind necessary?

I Must -

Suggest she get a bit stronger for what may come in the next ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years.
It's not going to be a piece of cake every step of the way, eh?

Yes... my truth can be brutal at times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main reason for the radio upgrade was better reception with the higher end unit, as well as added features. The climate knob is more of a judgement call, but when her fingers turn red with serrations marks when real cold it becomes a serious consideration

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've had my car for nearly 4 years and have had zero issues with the touchscreen. I like it a lot. I just set it on auto and forget about it. No issue to defrost etc. while driving, just takes quick glance.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The main reason for the radio upgrade was better reception with the higher end unit, as well as added features. The climate knob is more of a judgement call, but when her fingers turn red with serrations marks when real cold it becomes a serious consideration
I don't have an LX, but I test drove one. That doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've had my car for nearly 4 years and have had zero issues with the touchscreen. I like it a lot. I just set it on auto and forget about it. No issue to defrost etc. while driving, just takes quick glance.

I agree. I have had no issues with the touchscreen either. It took me a while to figure out the optimum temperature setting for me. But I keep it at 70 year round and turn the fan to 2- 3 bars since I find it too noisy when it is all the way up. I use the A/C only on the hottest days, like to vent the moonroof when it is nice out. I honestly don't understand why knobs would be any better. Had knobs on my Fit and was constantly tinkering with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts