Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently Honda announced that they would be importing the 5 door Civic hatchback for the 10th Generation, which is odd considering the other models Honda currently retails.

AHM's decision to import the 5 door Civic was supposedly based on the success of the FIT hatch, which I'm sorry doesn't sound too logical to me. Spurred on by the success of the FIT, Honda decided to import a model with the potential to cannibalise the success? Sorry last time I checked Honda wasn't that dumb.

But it goes one further then that, the Civic hatch would end up facing upward and downward pressure. The FIT from below and the HR-V from above. Crossovers produce better margins and are not factored into CAFE ratings, all OEMS are favouring CUV's for that reason exactly.

The Civic Hatch will be imported from Swindon, UK, which means that there are now shipping and regulatory costs baked into the Civic Hatch, If I was a gambling man I'd put money down that the hatchback Civic will only show up in North America as te TYpe R. Its the only way to protect margins, the FIT and HR-V simultaneously...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Apparently these would be some limited quantity of Civic hatches which could determine how determined they'll be to push these, seeing how initial sales go along with sales over time will be something to look out for.

Honda will have to do some things that make the Civic hatch stand out from the Fit and HR-V... just not sure what those things are.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Honda is likely feeling the heat of the competition so its trying to cover all avenues. As for the Civic hatchback and the HRV; two totally different types of vehicles. I would first decide if I wanted a crossover/SUV or a car, also what about AWD?

Recently Honda announced that they would be importing the 5 door Civic hatchback for the 10th Generation, which is odd considering the other models Honda currently retails.

AHM's decision to import the 5 door Civic was supposedly based on the success of the FIT hatch, which I'm sorry doesn't sound too logical to me. Spurred on by the success of the FIT, Honda decided to import a model with the potential to cannibalise the success? Sorry last time I checked Honda wasn't that dumb.

But it goes one further then that, the Civic hatch would end up facing upward and downward pressure. The FIT from below and the HR-V from above. Crossovers produce better margins and are not factored into CAFE ratings, all OEMS are favouring CUV's for that reason exactly.

The Civic Hatch will be imported from Swindon, UK, which means that there are now shipping and regulatory costs baked into the Civic Hatch, If I was a gambling man I'd put money down that the hatchback Civic will only show up in North America as te TYpe R. Its the only way to protect margins, the FIT and HR-V simultaneously...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I currently have a Fit, had a Civic sedan before that. I might have gone for a Civic hatchback instead of a Fit if the gas mileage was better and if it was roomier than the Fit, the latter reason being why I'm so interested in an HR-V.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Civic hatch should be a more robust automobile

The new Civic hatch from Swindon will have a more modern 1.5L direct injected engine with Turbo availability. It should get good mileage. Honda claims improved sound insulation to achieve "near luxury levels of noise". If present Civic specs are carried forward there will be an 8 or 10 way power seat available in the EX-L trim. It should be a step up from the HR-V in terms of quality. Unfortunately they indicated that it will not be imported until mid 2016.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm thinking the biggest difference would be the ride height. Both should be great choices though. Civic will also offer some more exciting engine options. They really seem to be putting a lot into the civic though. Should be exciting to see what they do with it when it hits North American shores.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm thinking the biggest difference would be the ride height. Both should be great choices though. Civic will also offer some more exciting engine options. They really seem to be putting a lot into the civic though. Should be exciting to see what they do with it when it hits North American shores.

For me, the ride height is more important...more specifically the seat height.
I like to step in and out of a car , not drop in and climb out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I haven't looked for specs and sizes to compare, but based on pictures alone I'm guessing the Civic hatch will have 1/2 or less of the HRV's luggage room. People who are looking at Fit or HR-V are likely most intersted in the utility, and choosing between by ride height and style. To me the Civic hatch is a whole other animal, and I can't think there'll be many cross-shoppers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take a look at the current Euro hatch, in FWD 6 speed manual the HRV doesnt seem all that different.

Euro hatch comes with magic seating like FIT and HRV, 1,210 litres of cargo cap with the rear seats flat compared to the 1,665 litres for HRV

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Take a look at the current Euro hatch, in FWD 6 speed manual the HRV doesnt seem all that different.

Euro hatch comes with magic seating like FIT and HRV, 1,210 litres of cargo cap with the rear seats flat compared to the 1,665 litres for HRV
That's 16 cubic feet less space for the Euro hatch. That is a big difference for me.

And as mentioned before.....the higher seat height is also very important to me. If it wasn't, I would have already considered buying the Fit.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Interesting figures, Red. That's much closer than my off-the-cuff guess. Guess I'll do some actual research. Probably moot for me, though; don't want to wait until next year, and not crazy about the new civic styling.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For sure, not trying to change anyones mind, I just found it an interesting bit of Hondas strategy. Of course there is the possibility that the hatch is only coming over in Type R format.

We also have to consider that us here and active are dedicated to HR-V (for the most part) there are countless others who haven't made up their mind or don't need the full capabilities of the HR-V. I just find it interesting that Honda has evaluated their business and deemed 3 models with near overlapping credentials will thrive...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's 16 cubic feet less space for the Euro hatch. That is a big difference for me.

And as mentioned before.....the higher seat height is also very important to me. If it wasn't, I would have already considered buying the Fit.
That's the current (9th gen) Euro hatch which is a fair bit smaller then our Civic, the 10th gen world model will harmonize the differences.

I'm also not sure if the quoted HR-V number above is with the front seat folded flat as well...

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's the current (9th gen) Euro hatch which is a fair bit smaller then our Civic, the 10th gen world model will harmonize the differences.

I'm also not sure if the quoted HR-V number above is with the front seat folded flat as well...
The 10th Gen Civic will grow in size to compensate for Europe losing their version of the Accord. TOV is fairly certain that the 10th gen Civic will be bigger then the current Gen as well which could/should bring those figures even closer together...

but yes AWD would still be the major difference, but I don't think Quebec will mind...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

When ever I see it discussed, they usually say the cu.ft. with the rear seat backs down, with no mention of the front seat back. Does the euro calculations include the front passenger seat folded down ?

Edit: Just looked at the diagram again and it is easy for me to see where the cu. ft. was lost. The civic drops to a trunk-like height near the back. Whereas the HR-V's more wagon-like back (albeit sloping) offer more volume.

At any rate, the Civic would have little appeal for me because I like the ability to haul tall/ wide objects. That is what attracted me to the HR-V in the first place.:)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think that the HRV is appealing because of its utility and SUV styling in a smaller package. CUVs are usually thought of as smaller SUVs, but you could also think of them as bigger hatchbacks. The very things that make the HRV appealing are the things that make it different from the Civic hatchback. The Civic hatchback is a great vehicle, but it really isn't offering the same selling points as the HRV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fit vs Mazda2
Civic hatch vs Mazda3 hatch vs Mitsubishi Lancer hatch vs Subaru Impreza hatch
HR-V vs Mazda CX-3 vs Mitsubishi RVR vs Subaru XV Crosstrek
CR-V vs CX-5 etc etc

There seems to be a market for a compact-car in a hatchback form with room for a taller subcompact crossover in the same dealer showroom.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Perhaps cannibalize there own sales, probably, but also take business from say... the mazda 3 hatchback. The fit has a distinct style that can turn people off. Its better to cannibalize your own sales, after all you can adjust forecasting, and have a model that directly competes with the competition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts