Honda HR-V Forum banner

How many HRV competitors did you test drive?

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 1 7.1%

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3+

Votes: 7 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a marketer, just curious. I'm wondering how many folks on this forum are so HRV-crazy that they aren't even entertaining the idea of test driving some of the alternatives. For disclosure, I've test driven every competitor.

So, how many competitors to the HRV have you test driven (Soul, Renegade, Encore, Trax, Subaru, Juke, etc)? Not how many you've considered - how many have you PHYSICALLY gone and test driven?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, the only alternative I'm considering at this point is the Mazda CX-3; hoping it makes an appearance later this summer...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Monday

I am at zero but I'm going to fix that on Monday by doing 2 or 3 test drives. I'm going to try a Forester, a CX-5, and a CR-V. I really would like something a little smaller but the clock is ticking on my current car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm like one of those Apple users lol. A dedicated consumer, won't even consider the competition, even if it is better, cheaper. I've been driving Hondas since 1989, from the Accord to the Fit, and I'm so used to their features, quality, whatnot, and since I have been very happy with them, I see no reason to jump ship. So the answer for me is zero lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you've owned only Hondas, and you're happy, who's to give you grief? I'm planning on buying my third Miata this fall. Don't need a test drive or to look at anything else. I've had two and I know I'm going to love it to death. I guess if a car maker keeps you happy over the long term, you've found the right car maker for you. Kind of like spouses :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't driven the direct competitors but I have tried out the RAV4, CRV, CX-5, Crosstrek, and Forester. For the first couple of months, these might be the price peers so I went with that assumption. If I don't like the HR-V, then I'll go with one of these. I've owned a Civic Hybrid but I'm not committed to buying another Honda. They all had pros and cons but my favorite was the RAV4--especially if they release the Hybrid soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does doing my research count??

I've been researching for months. Mostly on Consumer Reports to look at trends and reliability. I originally had quite the long list: Mini Pacerman, Rav4, Crosstrek, X1, ILX, RDX. One by one cars came off the list for a variety of reasons - I decided I wasn't going to test drive a bunch of cars but would drive when I was ready to really decide. I hate car shopping so much, I didn't want to even step on the car lot.

Drove the CRV last weekend & it might be a second option if the HRV doesn't work for me. My problem is I want a car I'm not willing to pay the price for!!

Been waiting so long for this release and now I'm hearing about the CDX? Not sure when it's due but I don't think I can wait. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
At the Seattle Auto Show last fall I looked at:
Mini Countryman
Nissan Juke
ruled these out on sight, they're clearly not for cargo or outdoor enthusiasts

Subaru Impreza
drove the 4-door Impreza around the block at the show, felt fine but meh on the interior features, my nextdoor neighbor regularly hauls kayaks with his 5-door though

Subaru Crosstrek
SO already has the Crosstrek in manual so I'm already familiar and don't really want the exact same car, and now I'm concerned with the reported oil issues. Great turning radius compared to my current Fit, that did surprise me.

Kia Soul
Rode with a friend test driving the Kia Soul, I was surprised at the improvements they have made in interiors, but no AWD or roof rack and I'm just generally still skeptical of the reliability/resale value of a Kia

Scion xB
Same friend also test drove the xB, but the Scion guy told us there was a whole group of new models coming. My mom had an xA for 150k miles with no issues, I'd consider Scion if they had something in this segment with AWD this year but I don't want to go another ski season in my current car.

Toyota Rav4
I liked the look of the new Rav-4 (they had it all racked up with kayaks too) but it was surrounded by 50-60 something women, my mom's demographic. Empty nester women who have to haul around their elderly parents to doctors appointments. My mom has one, I just couldn't get that out of my head. Plus it's a tight fit in my garage when my mom comes to visit.

Chevy Trax & Buick Encore
Not interested in the Chevy Trax after I saw it in person (doors locked) it somehow looks like a toy RC car to me. Buick isn't on my radar after being hosed by the transmission of my previous GM car. Nothing scars your impression of a company after having to deal with cost of repair exceeds value of car decisions while in college.

2015 Honda Fit
I like the look of the new one compared to the 09-13 style. I have an 08, the 15 has more power and creature comforts. No roof rack options from Yakima or Thule, so I would have to go hitch mount or have a permanent installation drilled into the roof (I've seen it done in the Fit forum). No AWD for trips to the ski area, so I would again rely on Subaru owning friends when the roads get dicey or would have to buy winter tires/wheels which brings the cost up to small CUV/SUV.

So I guess it's between Honda and Subaru. His and her's Crosstreks in the driveway? :laugh:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been researching for months. Mostly on Consumer Reports to look at trends and reliability. I originally had quite the long list: Mini Pacerman, Rav4, Crosstrek, X1, ILX, RDX. One by one cars came off the list for a variety of reasons - I decided I wasn't going to test drive a bunch of cars but would drive when I was ready to really decide. I hate car shopping so much, I didn't want to even step on the car lot.
If there's any auto show where you live they're a great place to get hands on with the cars and sit in them without sales pressure. There's usually dealer and manufacturer reps to answer questions but they aren't actively selling at most they just hand you a card and say come see me at So and So dealership when you're ready. You can pick up all the paper books and take a tape measure to all the trunk spaces. At the show in my city they even have test drives, it's around the block but sometimes that's all you need to know whether you want to go to the dealer and drive more, or no this car sucks I can't see out the back window this is a deal breaker. There's always swag for testing the cars, I have a few Subaru flashlights and a Kia bluetooth speaker!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Looked at all the direct competitors (Renegade, CX-3, Encore, Trax, Subaru, Juke) and found none could come close let alone match or exceed the overall versatility for which the HRV is intended. Thought about the Kia Soul, but couldn't consider it nor found it to be in the same class due to lack of AWD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts