Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone having a problem with rear view camera? very hard to see, not a clear view after dark or cloudy days and also headlights either high beams or it's too dark. I took my car to service but nothing they could do about it. I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
As the saying goes, "it is what it is"

There are several threads here complaining about the camera. Biggest improvement you could do is install brighter backup lights

·
Registered
159 Posts
The rearview camera is not that great and it doesn't help the screen is small too. I upgraded my reverse bulbs to LED's and it was a very slight improvement (only at night obviously) but it's still nothing to jump up and down about. The bulbs I got were $90 and whether or not they were worth it is very debatable..... The review is in my signature. They are supposedly among the brightest and best quality reverse LED's you can get.

I'm disappointed that Honda didn't offer a projector headlight with the HR-V. I guess I understand from a price standpoint but at the same time, it's 2017. I feel like I see more projector headlights now than halogen on cars that are being sold these days. You can go the LED bulb route (plethora of information on this site already in other threads), better halogen bulbs (www.powerbulbs.com is where I send people), HID retrofit (www.theretrofitsource.com for all your needs), or if you feel like dropping ~$1000, you can get the Honda Vezel (overseas HR-V) headlights that are LED projectors. Not sure what kind of wiring work is required to be able to plug into those though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The headlights are an easy fix, without spending a ton of money. See other threads on the NightEye LEDs that I and others installed for under $40 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7KJF0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I also upgraded the fog lights ($20) (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY2A8W3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and added LEDs to the backup lights ($10). So for less than $75 I have a car that has incredible lighting, and I can see when I back up at night. The only real issue I have with the quality of the backup camera comes when there is dirt on the lens. It's not a 4K camera, nor does it need to be. It is an augment to your mirrors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Dammit. Is it the installation straight forward? Some of reviews mentioned the plug was wired backwards and It was loose and wobbly in the headlight housing.

The headlights are an easy fix, without spending a ton of money. See other threads on the NightEye LEDs that I and others installed for under $40 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7KJF0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I also upgraded the fog lights ($20) (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY2A8W3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and added LEDs to the backup lights ($10). So for less than $75 I have a car that has incredible lighting, and I can see when I back up at night. The only real issue I have with the quality of the backup camera comes when there is dirt on the lens. It's not a 4K camera, nor does it need to be. It is an augment to your mirrors.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks Dammit. Is it the installation straight forward? Some of reviews mentioned the plug was wired backwards and It was loose and wobbly in the headlight housing.
Those in the link are a straight forward plug and play. The only trick is that you'll want to leave off the rubber dust gasket that goes around the current bulbs. The heat sink on the LEDs touches and you'll end up frying the rubber.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ah I see. if we leave the rubber gasket off wouldnt dust and water go into the headlight?

Those in the link are a straight forward plug and play. The only trick is that you'll want to leave off the rubber dust gasket that goes around the current bulbs. The heat sink on the LEDs touches and you'll end up frying the rubber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since we're talking about headlights. Does anyone know of LED headlight and foglight replacements that are in the color temp range of sub 5000k? We get a lot of rain and mist here and very white lights create glare for me. It seems like the only LED replacements I can find are 6000k and up.

·
Super Moderator
1,468 Posts
Hi SlowFosho, they are on the sides. I am wondering the tiny reflector (See picture below) should be facing up or down.

[/IMG]
That's actually a shield, not a reflector, and it should be on the bottom to keep the light from reflecting off the bottom of the headlight. You want the light reflecting off the top of the headlight since that is what reflects the light to the ground. If you have them the opposite direction, you're blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My experience is that these can only be installed one way. The socket has three slots, and you need to align the tabs on the bulb properly to those tabs or the bulb won't go in at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,468 Posts
My experience is that these can only be installed one way. The socket has three slots, and you need to align the tabs on the bulb properly to those tabs or the bulb won't go in at all.
I've had some that came upside down. You can take the socket off the bulb and turn the bulb 180 degrees.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup this makes perfect sense.:) The shield is on the bottom and it's facing up as shown in the picture below.

That's actually a shield, not a reflector, and it should be on the bottom to keep the light from reflecting off the bottom of the headlight. You want the light reflecting off the top of the headlight since that is what reflects the light to the ground. If you have them the opposite direction, you're blinding oncoming traffic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts