Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that some of the over seas HR-V's have heated steering wheels, is it possible to have the dealership install on of these babies on a American HR-V?

Reactions: solidstylez

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heated Steering Wheel

I?m looking for a way to hook up a heated steering wheel for my 2016 HR-V. I?m noticing the CR-V has one that can be purchased online, but I?m not sure if the mounting is exactly the same, or if the HR-V even has wiring capable of using it. Has anyone else researched/experimented on this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's a quick update on my research:

There is no such thing as a heated steering wheel for the HR-V or Vezel as far as I have found.

However, it appears the CR-V's steering wheel is the same mount as the HR-V, so I believe the CR-V heated wheel is compatible with the HR-V, pending one assumption: it has to have the same type of fuse box in the same place (behind driver quarter kick plate near the brake pedal). Given the overlap in design in that space, it seems fairly likely, but since the CR-V is based on the Civic platform and the HR-V is based on the Fit platform, I can't be sure yet. I'll update this thread again once I've found HR-V electrical schematics.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's a quick update on my research:

There is no such thing as a heated steering wheel for the HR-V or Vezel as far as I have found.

However, it appears the CR-V's steering wheel is the same mount as the HR-V, so I believe the CR-V heated wheel is compatible with the HR-V, pending one assumption: it has to have the same type of fuse box in the same place (behind driver quarter kick plate near the brake pedal). Given the overlap in design in that space, it seems fairly likely, but since the CR-V is based on the Civic platform and the HR-V is based on the Fit platform, I can't be sure yet. I'll update this thread again once I've found HR-V electrical schematics.
by any chance, did you ever find out more information?

·
Registered
70 Posts
by any chance, did you ever find out more information?
Sort of, and thank you for reminding me. I'm expecting to move from Texas to Massachusetts at some point, so this is also relevant to me again.

There are several issues around trying to put a CR-V (or Civic) heated steering wheel into any currently existing HR-V:
1) Electrical A: I have not found pictures/diagrams of the wire harnesses for each vehicle's steering wheel, so I am not sure if it is even possible to use the steering wheel audio and ACC controls.
2) Electrical B: Additional wiring is required to support the electrical draw of the heating element. It should be possible to connect to the relay near the driver footwell, but I haven't taken the time to confirm the relay's location or capacity.
3) Physical fit: I haven't been able to fully confirm whether they have identical mounts.
4) Software: There is no guarantee that the CR-V/Civic steering wheel would be able to control the HR-V audio and ACC systems, especially considering the 2019 HR-V head unit wiring is known to be different from previous years. Obviously if you're working with an HR-V that doesn't have ACC, the new wheel wouldn't grant it, but where the wire harnesses match we have a higher likelihood of compatibility.

To be completely honest, the HR-V wasn't designed to have any degree of luxury beyond what's basically becoming industry standard options these days. By the time I realized there were this many dice to roll, I chickened out... but if I can get the various diagrams needed and it looks like it's all compatible, I would certainly give it a shot.

That said, we're overdue for a new gen, and Honda is replacing its USDM Fit production with more HR-V production, so they have definitely realized the demand for this segment. I am betting on / hoping for some luxury options in the 2022 model year. Take from that what you will.

I'm leaving this tab open semi-permanently now so I remember to go back and look for more info when I have time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is a "luxury item"? Heated seats? Climate control? Automatic headlights? Outside temp guage?? Some HR-V's have all of them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts