Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Living in Canada and driving with gloves on for a few months a year, I'm seeing the touch-screen climate controls being a bit of an issue. Am I right to assume that I'll have to have bare fingers to use these controls, as well as the main console touch-screen? I could defenitively see this as an annoyance, could even ba a safety issue. Maybe Honda'll be nice enough to offer standard heated steering wheel in northern clims? ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good point, though I'm lucky enough not to need gloves in my little corner of the country.

Somebody mentioned their Prius accepts voice commands for climate ("Temperature 22"), but I haven't heard of that for Honda. Nor heated steering wheel. Doesn't mean they couldn't happen.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You guys are so unworthy to worship at the Temple of Honda (a close relative of the Temple of Apple).

Repeat after me: Honda can do no harm. If you're unhappy, then it is your fault that you don't appreciate the brilliance of Honda.

Got it straight now?

Getting serious, I'm guessing the touch screen is one of the types that doesn't need skin contact. There are different technologies. However gloves will probably reduce precision. So you'll probably be doing a bit of touch screen fumbling - I think that was a common review complaint about the Fit. Small screen + uneven roads + big fingers = touching the wrong thing.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen it referred to as a capacitive screen, i.e. rquires finger contact (or some other material, like stylus nibs).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Off topic

You guys are so unworthy to worship at the Temple of Honda (a close relative of the Temple of Apple).

Now I'my getting worried....what does it say about me that I am guilty of worshipping at both of these temples regularly.....
???
:nerd::nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I hope you live in the Northwest Territories because I live in Calgary and in Alberta its never so cold you need gloves while driving. All we need to do is warm the car up for 10 min ... even when its -30 C.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I hope you live in the Northwest Territories because I live in Calgary and in Alberta its never so cold you need gloves while driving. All we need to do is warm the car up for 10 min ... even when its -30 C.
Right, so I should just spend an extra 500$ for a remote starter (I live in a 2nd floor condo a far ways from my parking spot, same for work) and let my car idle for 10 minutes, just like every single other resident of the country, according to your comment.

Thanks for your contribution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe the climate control is automatic. Very little need to touch the screen.
I saw this in another thread, someone talking about their Pilot's automatic climate control performing perfectly with hardly any user input. Hopefully this will be the case for the HR-V, as this would nearly eliminate the issue!
I personnaly never dealt with an automatic climate control, any one here had good/bad experience with Honda products, especially in cold climates?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Believe the climate control is automatic. Very little need to touch the screen.
Good to know, these systems are probably an improvement over our 3 year old Odyssey, but I think the dynamic environment, varied climate, user preferences and other factors play into how well an automatic climate control works in an automobile. I wear contact lenses, air blowing into my eyes will dry them out, but if I have sunglasses on, I sometimes prefer it. The radiant heat of the sun also affects whether I want my air temperature 65 or 72, for instance. That can change as quickly as my travel direction.
My point is, unlike a building where a thermostatically-controlled environment works for me, when I'm driving, I like the ease of easily getting it warmer or cooler, breezy or not, without looking at a screen. Those red/blue icons have served well for many years. It is not the technology, it is the interface.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good to know, these systems are probably an improvement over our 3 year old Odyssey, but I think the dynamic environment, varied climate, user preferences and other factors play into how well an automatic climate control works in an automobile. I wear contact lenses, air blowing into my eyes will dry them out, but if I have sunglasses on, I sometimes prefer it. The radiant heat of the sun also affects whether I want my air temperature 65 or 72, for instance. That can change as quickly as my travel direction.
My point is, unlike a building where a thermostatically-controlled environment works for me, when I'm driving, I like the ease of easily getting it warmer or cooler, breezy or not, without looking at a screen. Those red/blue icons have served well for many years. It is not the technology, it is the interface.
Also have to consider how well sealed the cabin is and how quick the system can compensate for temperate loss. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to adjust.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I may be spoiled. The climate control on my 2009 Pilot Touring is pretty slick. The climate control, navigation unit and the automatic light sensor are all linked. The system knows the outside/inside temperatures, the strength on the sun and what side of the car is getting the most direct Rays. It will actually make the compensations. It also knows the humidity so the windows never fog up. It's been a fabulous system and if available I would always make sure I got it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I may be spoiled. The climate control on my 2009 Pilot Touring is pretty slick. The climate control, navigation unit and the automatic light sensor are all linked. The system knows the outside/inside temperatures, the strength on the sun and what side of the car is getting the most direct Rays. It will actually make the compensations. It also knows the humidity so the windows never fog up. It's been a fabulous system and if available I would always make sure I got it.
That sounds like an impressive system and seems to address most of the variables I mentioned. If it works as well as you say, that is great. I suspect the HR-V's system will be more humble in capability and I do like tactile touch switchgear.

Thanks for sharing, I will try to keep an open mind. My experiences have been much more frustrating with the Odyssey.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That sounds like an impressive system and seems to address most of the variables I mentioned. If it works as well as you say, that is great. I suspect the HR-V's system will be more humble in capability and I do like tactile touch switchgear.

Thanks for sharing, I will try to keep an open mind. My experiences have been much more frustrating with the Odyssey.
Agree totally and don't expect the HRV to perform as well. If the HRV had a dual climate control system, auto headlights and navigation it would be possible. You may see something like this on an Acura model if they create their version of the HRV.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I sooooooo need a heated steering wheel here in Calgary, praying its on the EXL!!
That's been on my wish list for the last 5 years. Drove a friends car with a heated steering wheel. I thought it was a useless option put on high end cars for a bit of snob appeal. Boy did I change my mind quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts