Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering buying a 2020 HRV EX AWD. Dealership is quoting $24,000 + sales tax + 75 for DMV fees + whatever the DMV charges. They that price includes the doc fee and tire fee. We agreed to not do the secure etch.

1) Is that a good price? TrueCar seems messed up cause they are telling me the market price is above the MSRP.

2) Anyone can let me know there experience with Honda Care? I read the PDF on Honda's site and it seems like it's a bad deal.

Not sure if it makes a difference but this will be my third car from this specific dealership. The other two were leases not buys though. Also, my coworker decided that she wants a HRV too and asked me to negotiate a deal for her. Hoping I can get a better deal for that as well.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
946 Posts
1. Try another site(s) other than TruCar. They are good but not the only game in town.

2. Do not buy any extended warrant. Just deposit money (divide HondaCare by 24 months) monthly in a separate account called Warranty. Then if you need, access this account. If you never need (the more likely outcome), then you have free money.

Good luck on getting your HRV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know the '19 EX-AWD had a MSRP of @ 26,400 give or take, and I had 2 dealers knock that back to $23k. With a low profit margin on smaller vehicles, that was the best I expected. Given that you're into a new model year, and they raised the sticker price 2 or 300$, you seem right in the ball park. I vote 'no' on any up-selling they toss your way including HondaCare/extended warranty, undercoating, rustproofing,

Always get at least two quotes (blind). Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are interested in an extended warranty, opt for Honda Care rather than 3rd party plans many dealers promote. Get a price quote for Honda Care from College Hills Honda or Sarducci to name two that offer better prices. We bought a '19 HR-V EX, and didn't get Honda Care. We did opt for it for a '17 CR-V because of all the electronics on it (3 radars, 2 cameras, nav system, etc.). It's the only time we've gone for extended warranty. Time will tell.

The price seems reasonable. I don't try to squeeze every nickel from the dealer, but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either. My line is "I hope there's a price we both can be happy with". If you are happy with the service at that dealer, that would be an important consideration too.

And watch the beginning of the movie "Fargo" before you head back to the dealer to get you prepared for all the 'clear coat' tactics. It's good for a laugh, and good preparation as well.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Just remember dealers aren’t stupid and they’re losing money on other cars, and the HRV is the best selling car they have, according to the sales statistics. This car is the HOTTEST thing Honda sells right now. So they’re not gonna discount them much. Why? Because there’s somebody walking in right behind you that will pay the full sticker without hesitation/negotiating, etc… I think your price is pretty fair. As long as they don’t load it up with their dealer installed crap: ANY protection packages of any sort, extended warranties, doc fees, window etch, etc… There is no end to their nonsense… And I was a dealer… LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you are interested in an extended warranty, opt for Honda Care rather than 3rd party plans many dealers promote. Get a price quote for Honda Care from College Hills Honda or Sarducci to name two that offer better prices. We bought a '19 HR-V EX, and didn't get Honda Care. We did opt for it for a '17 CR-V because of all the electronics on it (3 radars, 2 cameras, nav system, etc.). It's the only time we've gone for extended warranty. Time will tell.

The price seems reasonable. I don't try to squeeze every nickel from the dealer, but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either. My line is "I hope there's a price we both can be happy with". If you are happy with the service at that dealer, that would be an important consideration too.

And watch the beginning of the movie "Fargo" before you head back to the dealer to get you prepared for all the 'clear coat' tactics. It's good for a laugh, and good preparation as well.

Good luck!
Gonna want that TRU-COAT !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the '19 EX-AWD had a MSRP of @ 26,400 give or take, and I had 2 dealers knock that back to $23k. With a low profit margin on smaller vehicles, that was the best I expected. Given that you're into a new model year, and they raised the sticker price 2 or 300$, you seem right in the ball park. I vote 'no' on any up-selling they toss your way including HondaCare/extended warranty, undercoating, rustproofing,

Always get at least two quotes (blind). Let us know how you do.

Thanks. I will keep everyone updated. Several dealerships emailed me prices. All of them are 25.5 - 26 and the one dealership i have a relationship offered 24.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Good luck!
I agree. I think the dealership and sales person has to eat too. Just want to find a price where I dont feel like I was taken advantage of. Never seen Fargo but I will take a look. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just remember dealers aren’t stupid and they’re losing money on other cars, and the HRV is the best selling car they have, according to the sales statistics. This car is the HOTTEST thing Honda sells right now. So they’re not gonna discount them much. Why? Because there’s somebody walking in right behind you that will pay the full sticker without hesitation/negotiating, etc… I think your price is pretty fair. As long as they don’t load it up with their dealer installed crap: ANY protection packages of any sort, extended warranties, doc fees, window etch, etc… There is no end to their nonsense… And I was a dealer… LOL View attachment 29984

This is great data. Thank you very much. Yeah I can see why ppl like the HRV. Although this has me wondering if I should just get the CRV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks. I will keep everyone updated. Several dealerships emailed me prices. All of them are 25.5 - 26 and the one dealership i have a relationship offered 24.

It doesn't sound like you are negotiating and working with the total, bottom line, out the door, all in price.

If you are not, you actually don't know how much the vehicle will cost in total and the dealer could surprise you with "extra's".
Hopefully you are not making that rookie mistake... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It doesn't sound like you are negotiating and working with the total, bottom line, out the door, all in price.

If you are not, you actually don't know how much the vehicle will cost in total and the dealer could surprise you with "extra's".
Hopefully you are not making that rookie mistake... :)
You are right that I an not negotiating with total price for most dealerships. The only one that gave me a total price was the dealership I went to and gave me 24,000 + 75 for DMV service fee + whatever the DMV charges them + tax. That price includes all doc fee, they won't do a window etch, destination fee etc. That is what is so baffling about the quotes I'm getting. If they are telling 25.5k that means it can only go up more after they try to sneak in some hidden fees.

Would appreciate it if you could point out any mistakes I'm making. Like you said, I don't want to make any rookie mistakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let me tell you how I got a great price.
I started shopping about 2 months prior to the date when I planned on purchasing my HR-V. I called approximately 50 dealerships within the distance I was willing to travel ( about 100 miles), and I only dealt/communicated with them over the phone and through email. I informed them of the exact vehicle I wanted, which was an 2018 HR-V EX AWD in silver, and I even told them the exact date I will be purchasing it. Furthermore, I was open and honest with them during the process by informing them I will be contacting other dealerships throughout the time frame and updating you on the sale progress throughout the negotiations, and the dealership with the best price will win my business.

It was very productive and worth my time. I believe the prices they were quoting me originally were around $27,000 if I remember correctly, and little by little dealerships began to drop out of negotiations as time progressed and I received better offers they weren't willing to go down to. Time progressed, and about two weeks prior to my purchase date I was down to about a handful of dealerships still negotiating with me, and the price was down to around $24,000 and I thought that was the best they were going to do. One week later, however, one dealership suddenly gave me an aggressive price and dropped it another $2000 telling me nobody will be that offer for a new 2018 HR-V EX AWD. I contacted the remaining handful of dealerships and he was almost right, and by the time it got to be one week before the purchase date I was down to only two remaining dealerships battling for my business at a total price of $20,000 OTD. Yes, you read that correctly; $20,000 Out The Door; tax, tags, registration, everything. So I had to decide on which one I would go to.

Dealership "A" was about 75 miles away, and told me they will not only beat that price but they'll also make it worth my time to drive all the way to them, however, they became stubborn and unwilling to give me a price as to how much they would beat the price and what they would do to make it worth my time. The other dealership, dealership "B", is the one who gave me the price of $20,000 and was only about 30 miles away, so I decided to go with them. But the games weren't over. When I arrived, suddenly the silver HR-V I was promised had mysteriously been purchased by someone online, and I had to decide between black, white, or some odd almost black purple color, none of which I wanted and I made it abundantly clear by saying no thank you and walking out while getting my phone out. By the time I was about 15 feet outside the dealership on my way to my car and talking on the phone with the other dealership the salesman came running out to me saying "Sir, sir, there was a mistake.", and he claimed the online purchaser made a mistake and thought it was a CR-V and backed out of the sale, however, the vehicle still wasn't the silver color I wanted. I then told him the only other color I would consider is the modern steel, and bingo, I had his attention. It was in the color "modern steel". I went on to tell him the other dealership I was on the phone with has the vehicle in silver, at which time he then told me "We will throw in any added accessory you want at no charge", so I told him I want body side molding and the deal was settled. $20,000 out the door total, and I did all negotiations over the phone and through email.

All in all, I was actually happier with the modern steel color in the mere fact that the interior of the silver only came in light grey cloth, which I previously hadn't known, whereas the interior of the modern steel color is black cloth. I had one vehicle in the past with the interior in light grey cloth and it is a dirt magnet and eventually never looks clean (I didn't want that again).

So to your question, is your price quote good? I would say if you work them right, I believe you can get them down a lot more. You just have to be sure to advertise to them that you're willing to walk away to another dealership for a better price. Do you homework. However, what's at a disadvantage for you is the fact you're looking at a 2020 HR-V. I purchased my 2018 at the end of the month of July (end of months should be one of your targets as they try to get their quotas before the EOM), just before the release of the 2019 models for added leverage on my demands, and it all worked out beautifully for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Randy,

I appreciate your thoughtful and detailed reply. I will definitely incorporate some of your strategies. $20,000 is a great price congrats on that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts