Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.I am interested in both the HRV and the CX3. Last Honda I owned was a 88CRXSI which I traded it for a Nissan Sentra SER. MISTAKE! Almost as soon as I got the Nissan I started looking for the next generation CRX. Alas it never came and was replaced by the bland Del Souless. I have had 8 or 10 new cars since and none have been Hondas' I 've tried a number of brands , but seem to be gravitating to Mazdas: 2000 Protege ES, 2006 3 and , most recent 2014 CX5. Modern Mazdas seem to have a bit of crispness to them that Honda has gotten away from. Thats my 2 cents. Sure some will disagree and their opinion is just as valid as mine.
These are my impressions formed strictly from factory press releases and published first drives.
HRV:I like the size, proportions and versatility. It may prove quieter than the Mazda, as that brand has a traditional problem with road noise. Honda too, but less so.
Mazda: seems to be trying to combine a small sports sedan with a CUV. May/may not be able to pull it off. Based on recent history of the respective makers, the Mazda will be more fun to drive. Looks more inspiring outside and even more so inside.

Can't wait to test drive both to see if any or all of my prejudices can be confirmed. If the Honda runs and handles as well as the Mazda, I'll swallow the looks deficit and buy the more versitile Honda. If not its the Mazda.

And another thing. I would prefer a manual and that would seem to point to the Honda, however wife must have auto and I am not a fan of droning CVTs.

Does anybody know if either of them will be rated for towing? I'm not looking to pull a 20' travel trailer, but being able to pull my 1/2 ton of bike and trailer would be nice.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
.I am interested in both the HRV and the CX3. Last Honda I owned was a 88CRXSI which I traded it for a Nissan Sentra SER. MISTAKE! Almost as soon as I got the Nissan I started looking for the next generation CRX. Alas it never came and was replaced by the bland Del Souless. I have had 8 or 10 new cars since and none have been Hondas' I 've tried a number of brands , but seem to be gravitating to Mazdas: 2000 Protege ES, 2006 3 and , most recent 2014 CX5. Modern Mazdas seem to have a bit of crispness to them that Honda has gotten away from. Thats my 2 cents. Sure some will disagree and their opinion is just as valid as mine.
These are my impressions formed strictly from factory press releases and published first drives.
HRV:I like the size, proportions and versatility. It may prove quieter than the Mazda, as that brand has a traditional problem with road noise. Honda too, but less so.
Mazda: seems to be trying to combine a small sports sedan with a CUV. May/may not be able to pull it off. Based on recent history of the respective makers, the Mazda will be more fun to drive. Looks more inspiring outside and even more so inside.

Can't wait to test drive both to see if any or all of my prejudices can be confirmed. If the Honda runs and handles as well as the Mazda, I'll swallow the looks deficit and buy the more versitile Honda. If not its the Mazda.

And another thing. I would prefer a manual and that would seem to point to the Honda, however wife must have auto and I am not a fan of droning CVTs.

Does anybody know if either of them will be rated for towing? I'm not looking to pull a 20' travel trailer, but being able to pull my 1/2 ton of bike and trailer would be nice.

Welcome Okhick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's a link to a company that make a trailer hitch for a FIT...

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=C11406

They (the hitch company, not Honda) rate it for 200 lbs tongue weight & 2,000 lbs capacity...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. I saw on a Fit forum that Honda does not recommend towing with the Fit.Ditto Mazda for both 2s and 3s. However forum enties from guys towing light loads with Fits were many with no resulting problems . Euro Fits are tow rated so it might be just a matter of the hyper liability problems in the U.S. I have towed light loads with all kinds of light cars, the smallest being a 2000 lb 66hp Fiesta that pulled a 700 lb load.
Anyway I feel that either HRV Or CX3 will handle 1/2 or 3/4 ton with no problems, but would it be good if the makers agree. Just have to wait and see when more specific specs are announced.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The specs of Australia model are here

http://www.honda.com.au/cars/models/hr-v/specification.html

500 kg (1100 lbs) without brakes
800 kg (1760 lbs) with brakes

But again, not recommended in the NA
Mazda Australia lists CX 3 towing capacity (using 2.2 kilos=1lb) as 2642 braked and 1408 unbraked , a substantial advantage for the Mazda. This depite the Mazda curb weigtht coming in 200lbs lighter giving it a performance advantage beyond just the horsepower difference. The hp/wt ratio may make it one the fastest vehicles in the Mazda lineup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts