Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 16 Fit(suspension issues) for this 18 HR-V. I have only owned it for 2 weeks(not new, 15k on it) and have already spent $700 on trying to fix a slight drift to the right!!!! I know about the slope of the road and that is not it. I have had it aligned(spot on green - front and back), new tires put on it yesterday, 3 days after the alignment, and it still drifts - steering wheel goes to the right with the drift. I am taking it to a very reputable Honda dealership and they're stumped. They did put 35lbs of air in each of the new tires but that shouldn't make a difference, except for tire wear. I have driven down the left lane on the highway, and it still will drift to the right. Can anyone help with suggestions??!!! NOTE: I did NOT buy this car from a Honda dealership......my bad, I know. The dealership that I bought it from, won't even take my phone calls/emails. I have written to Honda Corp for suggestions, I know, falling on deaf ears!! Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
We have some great expertise on this Forum so you will get some responses. Least it is under warrant. Keep every communication in writing. Have you gone to top dog at your Honda dealer Or just the service folks that aren’t giving you the time of day? Have you done a CarFax to see if it has been in an accident (bent frame, etc.)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be calling top dog tomorrow at Honda when he is in. I have everything, even the alignments that they did on the HR-V with the Fit VIN!!!! CarFax is clear, but working in the auto repair industry, the car could have been in an accident and the customer paid without turning it into the insurance. I have had my guys look at it, and it doesn't look like any accident repair. Service guys are stumped and so is my ex who was a Honda mechanic for 35 years!!! I'm glad I found this forum!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just traded my 16 Fit(suspension issues) for this 18 HR-V. I have only owned it for 2 weeks(not new, 15k on it) and have already spent $700 on trying to fix a slight drift to the right!!!! I know about the slope of the road and that is not it. I have had it aligned(spot on green - front and back), new tires put on it yesterday, 3 days after the alignment, and it still drifts - steering wheel goes to the right with the drift. I am taking it to a very reputable Honda dealership and they're stumped. They did put 35lbs of air in each of the new tires but that shouldn't make a difference, except for tire wear. I have driven down the left lane on the highway, and it still will drift to the right. Can anyone help with suggestions??!!! NOTE: I did NOT buy this car from a Honda dealership......my bad, I know. The dealership that I bought it from, won't even take my phone calls/emails. I have written to Honda Corp for suggestions, I know, falling on deaf ears!! Thank you for your help!!!
this could be your problem
i fixed this problem on my 2018 hrv ex my hrv has only 9000 miles. i had the same problem slight pull to the left i had to always hold some pressure on the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. also it felt like making right turns were harder then making left turns. i am a auto mechanic for over 30 years but not for honda. the problem is in the steering angle sensor built into the steering electric motor. with the steering wheel pointing 100% straight it was off by 5 degrees by me reading the steering angle sensor on a autel 906ts scan tool. if i turn the wheel by just a little to the left then it would read 0 degrees. i was able to reset this with my scan tool. first pointing the wheel 100% straight and resetting the angle to 0 degrees with my scan tool. car drives 100% straight now no more slight pulling to the left. steering stays straight now. also making left or right turns now feel about the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1roy, THANK YOU so much for your response!!!!! I am going to have this completed and praying that you're the answer to my drifting!!! Everybody has been clueless and all I'm doing is driving an hour to the Honda shop and an hour to the dealership that sold me the car, and nobody knows what to do!!!! It's so frustrating and being a female, they don't take me seriously. I'm no stranger to mechanical issues since my ex was a Honda mechanic for 35 years. I have done hours of research to try and figure out what it could be and you have the best answer!!!! Even when I park my car straight, the steering wheel is tilted to the right. I knew it wasn't the brakes because it doesn't pull when you apply them. I was told that they checked the calipers, but due to the short time that I was at the shop, they didn't check them. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! I will let you know as soon as I have this done!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, per Honda using an Autel, my steering wheel was at zero. I'm just so lost in where to go from here. Honda is sick of seeing me(going to go to another dealership) and hopefully someone is willing to let me go for a test drive with them to show them what it's doing!!! Top service manager, told me it was dead man steering(REALLY???). I'm female but not stupid and told him my old Fit was the same vehicle but smaller and it NEVER drifted to the right. He told me that if I drop dead behind the wheel, the car will automatically drift to the right to avoid collisions. I told him I didn't own a Tesla!!!! So, I'm back to square one. HELP, please!!!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do find my 2017 AWD does get effected by crowning in the road more than my other cars did - it's noticeable to me-
BUT in your case can you hit a reputable independant shop to check alignment ? it will be an out of pocket cost- but you may get an answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi John35G. The first alignment was completed by an independent alignment shop and they didn't correct anything. I had it done by Honda and they did the correct alignment. It might be that I am not used to an AWD and that it reacts differently, but it still shouldn't drift?! I am going to just test drive another one at a dealer and see if it does the same thing. Thank you for your time and consideration!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue and the head mechanic from honda corp said no it was the crown of the road; even though the dealers' mechanics and anyone I asked to drive it said it drifted. I took it to an alignment place and they did something with the steering wheel that corrected the problem.
Sorry, I don't know the specifics of what they did, but I believe it had something to do with the specs of the steering wheel.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2016. The dealer said the rear axle was slightly damaged causing the drift. Lo and behold the car had been driven hard over a curb I found out. The axle was replaced. It drifted "less" but wasn't perfect. The final answer was swapping the front tires side to side and even though I had replaced all four of them, one of the four was causing the drift.
When I replaced it ...problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same problem with my 2016. The dealer said the rear axle was slightly damaged causing the drift. Lo and behold the car had been driven hard over a curb I found out. The axle was replaced. It drifted "less" but wasn't perfect. The final answer was swapping the front tires side to side and even though I had replaced all four of them, one of the four was causing the drift.
When I replaced it ...problem solved.
Hi Duker, they had already switched the old tires and it still drifted. I bought new ones with no resolution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE!!!!! My boss at work(auto repair shop) redid the Autel on the steering sensor, and found that it was off by 2. He corrected it and it is perfect!!! Nobody at Honda had let me explain the steering wheel being tilted to the right, so he just tested it and said it was normal. I am VERY thankful to 1Roy for the above suggestion and to my boss who did the Autel correctly!! Now, I am one happy camper in my HR-V!!!! This is an awesome forum and I was so happy for the responses....I now know I wasn't crazy, although I think Honda dealership still thinks I am!!!!! Thank you again everyone and have a great day!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE!!!!! My boss at work(auto repair shop) redid the Autel on the steering sensor, and found that it was off by 2. He corrected it and it is perfect!!! Nobody at Honda had let me explain the steering wheel being tilted to the right, so he just tested it and said it was normal. I am VERY thankful to 1Roy for the above suggestion and to my boss who did the Autel correctly!! Now, I am one happy camper in my HR-V!!!! This is an awesome forum and I was so happy for the responses....I now know I wasn't crazy, although I think Honda dealership still thinks I am!!!!! Thank you again everyone and have a great day!!!!
this is great very happy its fixed and working right for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts