Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about the Honda Connect system? It seems that this is what is supposed to be in the new HR-V (possibly just the EX-L Navi trim?)

I know it will be running Android 4.04 (Ice Cream Sandwich, which is pretty old)? I'm wondering if it will be upgradeable to at least KitKat. It provides mirrorlink, so I could show my Android phone's screen on the in-car screen and use steering wheel buttons and other inputs to control my phone, which is pretty cool, but since that uses VNC I suspect it might be slightly sluggish. It would also be nice if Honda Connect allows for full Playstore access and sideloading of apps. Hopefully the USB port will be able to provide android connectivity as well. It would be great to take a portable USB 1TB hard drive and have the in-car nav mount it via an app like paragon, and stream MP3 files off of that!!!

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The HRV will have the next generation which currently only supports iOS http://owners.honda.com/hondalink/nextgeneration

I've seen on a few other forums for Honda vehicles people mentioning that Honda has no intentions of supporting android at all with these same apps. Hopefully that's wrong but based on their lack of updates for the old android apps I wouldn't be surprised. If they'd just put in support for Android Auto and Carplay none of this would be a big deal. Atleast from the get go it should support bluetooth connectivity to android phones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is what I'm going on. My understanding (as mentioned in at least one of these links) is that the same system in the new Civics is what's going in the HRV. I know some of these links are European, but the very first page that I saw talking about this was specific to the US, I just can't find the damned link now. So in light of the above statement, I'm wondering if that initial article that I read got it wrong and *assumed* US, when in reality Honda Connect is for every market OTHER than the US? Seeing as how I have an android phone, and I'm in my car 3-4 hours per day commuting, this could be a potentially big issue for me unless they still keep MHC and/or mirrorlink, which are not specific to Android.:

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/comingsoon/hr-v/

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/honda-reveals-more-details-about-geneva.html

http://www.androidcentral.com/honda-put-android-its-new-civic-it-could-have-done-it-so-much-better

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/03/hondas-in-car-connect-system-does-android-its-own-way-hands-on/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is a link that suggests that the android based infotainment is for Europe only.

http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/201...id-4-04-infotainment-honda-connect-in-europe/

Bummer.

According to a Honda press release 6/25/2014;

'Honda vehicles featuring Android Auto will debut in 2015; models and trims will be announced at a later date.'

On 4/6/15 Honda tweeted;

'It will be available this year on select models. Stay tuned for an announcement.'

I REALLY want Android Auto in my HRV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is a link that suggests that the android based infotainment is for Europe only.
:eek::(

Really a disappointment. One thing I like about the Mazda, is they are using OpenCar, and a number of systems (Android, iOS, even Linux, windows, OSX) can work with the APIs since they are all HTML5.

I really wish that these days ALL infotainment/navi systems/screens supported MHL and/or Mirrorlink. This way there are no real OS compatability issues, so long as your phone supports video(HDMI) over the USB out (IOW, MHL), and/or your phone has a VNC server app available for it (for Mirrorlink).

With MHL I can plug my iOS or Android phone, with a $15 adapter, into an HDMI input in the car. That HDMI goes right to the screen. What I see on my phone, I see on the screen, even if it may be down-rezzed on the car screen. I still have to use my phone to click stuff on the screen as I don't believe that MHL supports touchscreen control from the "TV" to the phone, but I get my phone displayed on the car screen. I could theoretically use speech recognition w/ a keyword to use voice commands to control the phone completely hands free in most cases. If you can essentially plug your pohone into your HD tv to show pics and videos, this is the same thing, and it will work on your car in the exact same manner.

With mirrorlink, it does the same, but instead of video being sent out from the phone to the in-car system, you use your regular USB/data cable. The car's system then launches an optomized version of the VNC client to log into your phone running the VNC server, and it displays your phone's screen on the car's screen. Furthermore if your car's screen is a touch screen, then touch inputs are sent back to the phone, and you can control your phone right from the touch screen in the car.

Mirrorlink will likely have a slightly more sluggish response than MHL when playing a video on the phone, but otherwise they should perform close enough. Mirrorlink is the cheaper and more versatile solution and doesn't require an HDMI input, you just use the USB that's already in the car. And you can control your phone from your car's touchscreen too, which is pretty huge and would make up for a lot of the sluggishness (I don't plan on streaming videos from my phone to the car's screen, but then I don't take kids on long trips either).

Give me one or the other as a base in a car, and I don't have to worry about tight app integration. You have iPhone exclusive apps like BMW and Mercedes? I can still use Mirrorlink/MHL and I'll be happy with my android phone in your system. You have an android system in the car and I have an iPhone? Fine. MHL/Mirrorlink solves any problems for the iPhone guys. AND you can use OpenCar or other Linux-based system, and you have no need to worry about Google and Apple restrictions on the OS so long as you have Mirrorlink/MHL.

It's an easy and cheap solution that ensures you will satisfy a great number of users. I personally know of people that bought a BMW and then had to switch from Android to iPhone when their contract was up to get the integration that they wanted. They were not happy about it.

For me there is the real possibility of me ruling out the HRV if it doesn't support Android, and I can't do the stuff I want to do w/o an iPhone (if I can hook up an external HDD via USB and the system can read the music files, then that will at least go a long way).

If I can install Stitcher and Pandora and Spotify as full apps on the in car system and not rely on having them on my phone, thats great, though I doubt it because most NEED to rely on the phone unless you get a 3G/4G/LTE connection for your car, which I don't know if I want. Maybe I can use my phone as a hotspot and tether the car to the phone via WiFi? That might work. Then it should be somewhat OS agnostic.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Making it available for every market aside from the US would be a horrible move since the US is one of their biggest markets and a great platform for this feature.

If not available now it should be something they'll eventually add.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts