Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When I start my car in the morning there is noice coming from engine. After the first start the noise is not coming.
The car master changed the spark plugs but the same noise is coming agian. Anyone can tell me what could be the issue? Car model is 2016 HRV and 50,000 KM drived.

· Banned
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,428 Posts
Has the noise just recently started, or have you always heard it?

If it is a rattly or tappety noise, I complained about this to the selling dealership when I first purchased my vehicle. I was informed that it is just typical of the engine.

In fairness, the noise does die down quite quickly and I am not really that concerned about it; a) I took out a 3 year Honda extended warranty, and b) the fact that I have it on record with both the dealer and Honda UK means that I may have a little leverage if there was to be any future issues with the engine.

I would recommend following the Honda Service regime for your vehicle, and for your country. If you use a non Honda garage for this, ensure to keep all receipts, and that the products the mechanic uses are to the same standard as Honda.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello you guys!

I have been dealing with the same problem for several months, and so far I have not been able to find a solution.
The main problem is that this only happens when the vehicle is driven for the first time (usually in the morning and when it is cold), so everything is fine when you get to the garage.

I'm trying to shoot a video where the problem can be seen and heard maybe it will help to understand the source of the problem.

I would be happy to help if anyone knows or has faced the same problem.
I have an HRV model 2017 (70,000 km)

· Registered
767 Posts
Hi,

When I start my car in the morning there is noice coming from engine. After the first start the noise is not coming.
The car master changed the spark plugs but the same noise is coming agian. Anyone can tell me what could be the issue? Car model is 2016 HRV and 50,000 KM drived.

Post up a video...

With the Honda K20/K24 DOHC engines, as they age and with extended oil change intervals, the timing chains, guides and VTEC assembly can get noisy on 1st start ups in the morning.

Haven't heard of this happening with the R18 SOHC HRV engines but possible and don't let your oil change intervals go too long.

Reactions: Pgh Biker

· Banned
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,428 Posts
That's what my 1.5 petrol HR-V can sound like, especially on a cold morning. It continues to sound like that for a while when driving at around town speed, but disappears after a while or when driving on a Dual Carriageway or Motorway.

I was told by the dealer this is normal for this engine, and several other Honda engines are like this.

That doesn't mean the OP doesn't have an issue, and it is worth checking out just in case.

· Registered
24 Posts
Post a video so we can help with the possible diagnosis.

I recently bought a 4k mileage 2020 HRV and noticed a few noises, which after a lot of investigation and not having any performance issues or CEL's I can say:

- Sound kind of like and airplane whistle that only happens during first start in the mornings. This sound is normal and it's due to the pcv valve:

- Sound of rattle for about 1-2 seconds right when you first crank it in the morning (This doesn't happen to my HRV but it did happen to my Honda FIT a few years ago) and it was due to the vtc actuator which could be replaced. Also had a problem with the starter that was slipping.

(Video I found with the same noise I had)

- Also it could be other things like piston slap which should get quieter when the engine gets warm, noisy valves, purge valve...

It's better if you tell us more about the characteristics of the sound and in which conditions it happens so we can really help you out.

Have a good one! and hope it's nothing serious.

· Registered
24 Posts
Thanks @ChristianVSaleh !
This video shows exactly what I am having in my car:

As I said it is not happening all the time, in fact in the last few days I am trying to take a video of it and it not happening at all.
Anytime! Yeah, the sound doesn't occur all the time. It appears to be fairly common with some Hondas and usually when the car has been sitting for some hours or the whole night and only lasts for 1-2 seconds.

You can check for the vtc actuator which is the most probable cause and also take a look at the starter just in case (sometimes the starter can get dirty and they get stucked and stop working correctly).

Some more info you could use:

Try googling "honda vtc actuator bulletin" and download the pdf. File. There you can se the step by step to replacing it.

· Registered
2 Posts
This is the actuator VTC (variable timing control)
it’s a common problem
They change it at 24000 Kim’s and now I have to change at 60000kms they wants I pay for it !!
They are crazy ….

Hello you guys!

I have been dealing with the same problem for several months, and so far I have not been able to find a solution.
The main problem is that this only happens when the vehicle is driven for the first time (usually in the morning and when it is cold), so everything is fine when you get to the garage.

I'm trying to shoot a video where the problem can be seen and heard maybe it will help to understand the source of the problem.

I would be happy to help if anyone knows or has faced the same problem.
I have an HRV model 2017 (70,000 km)

· Registered
2 Posts
I can, the problem is that it does not happen all the time, sometimes just once every few days and sometimes every day. So leaving the vehicle in the garage is not a good option for me.
Hello it’s the VTC actuator ! It is defective … in USA THERE IS A “bulletin service “
I have the same problem in France
Look this doc

and

It’s a default of conception …

1 - 16 of 16 Posts