Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've been providing reliability stats for other Hondas nearly since the beginning--Hondas are very popular with our members. I'd like to do the same for the HR-V. Just a matter of how soon enough owners are involved.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the HR-V, for free. I'll share results for the HR-V in this thread once we have them.

http://www.truedelta.com/join

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fourteen HR-Vs signed up so far, a good start. We do need at least 25 responses to provide reasonably precise stats, so I hope more owners will sign up.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Fourteen HR-Vs signed up so far, a good start. We do need at least 25 responses to provide reasonably precise stats, so I hope more owners will sign up.
As Michael says, TrueDelta is a great information resource — if everybody here joins, we would have some great reliability data. It can be especially illuminating if your compare the data for your car against another make or model. Fits had extraordinarily low issue rates, and I suspect that the same will be true for the HR-V. Jeep/FIAT, not so sure... >:D

I think I was one of the first, back in August. 7600 miles to date, and it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything. At this rate (30%) the first oil change will be next month.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been a TrueDelta member for a long time. Just added the HR-V and removed my Jetta. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

We have an initial reliability stat for the HR-V based on owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2016 HR-V: 55, high, small sample size

There's no clear pattern yet with the problems reported. We'll have further updates in May and in August, hopefully with larger sample sizes. Link to the site in the OP.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks!

We have an initial reliability stat for the HR-V based on owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2016 HR-V: 55, high, small sample size

There's no clear pattern yet with the problems reported. We'll have further updates in May and in August, hopefully with larger sample sizes. Link to the site in the OP.
Michale, Thanks for the update; small sample size = 6 repairs.

Forum members: please join and increase the sample size, so that we have some meaningful data to work with.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love TrueDelta, I've been a member (it's no-cost!) for almost a year after I read about it on jalopnik. Our HR-V and CX-9 are both on there, and I've referred quite a few people to use it in their research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, Denny!

We've updated our reliability stats for the HR-V to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago. Our updated stat for the HR-V, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2016 HR-V: 40, high

This is fairly typical for a Honda or Acura in its first model year lately. The problems reported tend to be minor, and the problem rate decreases for more recently produced cars as Honda sorts out initial glitches.

For the repairs behind this stat, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Honda HR-V reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
94 Posts
Done.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice, I just signed up, and will likely add our other car to the list.

Neat site, thanks for sharing.

Hah, looking at the ranking for lemons...who would have thought you'd see that many Chevy cars up there? :D I am a little surprised with the amount of Volvo however.

For as many first model year problems as the HRV has, the grass isn't always greener from the looks of it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Top 2 sites for research (IMHO):

Truedelta.com for reliability stats (and coming on strong for car reviews here lately)

Fuelly.com for real world fuel mileage.

Please, if any of you can afford a few minutes here and there, please add your information regularly to these sites. The data is extremely valuable for those researching the same make/model, and you may be paid back in the future by owners of other makes/models that you may consider purchasing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the HR-V to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2016 HR-V: 28, moderate

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Honda HR-V reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new 2021 HRV Sport AWD owner here! I love the car so far and perfect for what I need it for (commute to work, cargo space, some weekend trips). However, and this might be a dumb question, but considering the engine is a 1.8L 4 cylinder from a Civic and the HRV is heavier than a Civic, would this affect long term reliability in the sense that it is straining the engine more by carrying extra weight? I have an obsession with knowing and feeling like my car will last a long time. No doubt, I trust a Honda over nearly anything else.
2A47D9BB-5A63-49F3-BBF0-27ADA08E689F.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
248 Posts
My personal opinion is, HONDA ENGINES LOVE TO BE THRASHED. A regular bit of 'exercise' in the upper RPM ranges keeps everything working well.

Whenever I drive my daughters' HR-Vs, I try to explore higher RPMs than the CVT trans normally allows.

This philosophy has worked for us on our 77 Accord, 81 Civic, 89 Integra, 90 Accord, 99 Acura TL, and our current cars....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts