Honda HR-V Forum banner

Honda HR-V suspension / ride over minor bumps and potholes

14K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  jpicaro416 
#1 ·
I am leasing a 2018 HR-V and trying to decide whether to keep it when the lease is up. I like most things about it. It's got lots of cargo area. It's peppy and nimble enough for the kind of driving I do. The one thing I don't like about it is this: small bumps in the road, like a man-hole cover that sits 1" above street level or a shallow pothole 2" deep, make you feel like you're off-roading in Baja. In the HR-V you feel tossed around in your seat when driving over pretty minor road irregularities.

Our former car was a 2005 Ford Escape, which was a smooth ride over small bumps and was much better with potholes, even larger ones. It was a heavier vehicle with bigger wheels, heftier springs, and larger tires with relatively higher sidewall. So I realize it is not a fair comparison.

But what can be done, safely, to the HR-V, that would make it better able to handle small bumps and potholes? Is there a suspension upgrade kit available with that particular goal in mind? What I've found on the internet seems to be for people who want to improve the HR-V's handling at higher speeds and "spirited" driving.

#3 ·
The general consensus of opinion on my previous vehicles owners forum was that the manufacturer did not necessarily fit the best tyres tailored for the vehicle, but fitted the tyres they got the best deal on.

I initially had no complaints about the Dunlop SP01's originally fitted to that vehicle until I replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, which were quieter, offered better grip, and were miles ahead when it came to minor bump and road imperfection absorption. They in turn were surpassed by the Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 2 I subsequently fitted, and as a result of their performance on that vehicle, currently have fitted to my HR-V.

I have just returned from a short break in Cumbria in the north of England which included farm tracks and poorly maintained rural roads, and the tyres handled it all with aplomb. They still get caught out with the occasional bigger pot hole, but if your current tyres are due to be replaced, I can thoroughly recommend either of the previously mentioned Goodyear tyres in your quest for better bump absorption.

Regards,

HT

#15 ·
The general consensus of opinion on my previous vehicles owners forum was that the manufacturer did not necessarily fit the best tyres tailored for the vehicle, but fitted the tyres they got the best deal on.

I initially had no complaints about the Dunlop SP01's originally fitted to that vehicle until I replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, which were quieter, offered better grip, and were miles ahead when it came to minor bump and road imperfection absorption. They in turn were surpassed by the Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 2 I subsequently fitted, and as a result of their performance on that vehicle, currently have fitted to my HR-V.

I have just returned from a short break in Cumbria in the north of England which included farm tracks and poorly maintained rural roads, and the tyres handled it all with aplomb. They still get caught out with the occasional bigger pot hole, but if your current tyres are due to be replaced, I can thoroughly recommend either of the previously mentioned Goodyear tyres in your quest for better bump absorption.

Regards,

HT
I would confirm your experience with the Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyres. Fitted to my 2 wheel drive car they are better in snow than my wife's 4 wheel drive with summer tyres and quieter than the original Dunlops. If there is any fuel consumption penalty it's marginal and after 20k miles they look less than half worn out. Michelin Cross Climat's are said to be very good too.

I had wondered about tyre pressures. The book says, fully laden, 5 passengers plus luggage, 30psi in the rear tyres. The car usually has just me in it so would reducing the rear tyre pressures a little be a sensible way of softening the ride a little? Say 28 or 26psi?

#6 ·
HR-V 2018 AWD / It is true that the suspension of HRVs is rigid, there is not much you can do. On the other hand, the choice of tires is indeed a good point. Switching from all-season tires to winter tires makes a difference ... the ride is a bit smoother with softer winter tires.

#8 ·
What wheels are you using. You get the best ride on 16" 60 profile tyres. From experience on my previous Honda, using a four seasons tyre such as Goodyear Vector 4 Season or Michelin Cross Climate will also help and they are excellent in light snow. My HRV is on 17" wheels and 55 profile tyres and I can understand your comment. I'll be changing to one of the above when the original tyres need changing.

#9 ·
It has the US-market standard issue 215/55R17 Michelins. I've been thinking about buying 16" wheels and using higher sidewall tires when the lease is up, if I keep the car, but the extended warranties all have language that says making any changes in tire size could result in a loss of coverage.

#12 ·
I bought the HRV because the new Mazda's had a ride so harsh they hurt my aging back, my old 2012 Mazda 3 did not have this problem, and I traded it in for the HRV, which has a plushier ride than the older Mazda. I like sport rides that aren't too harsh, and the HRV pleasantly meets that need.

#13 ·
Agreed, I just bought a 2019 HRV and I thought there was something wrong with the suspension because it was so rough going over any type of bump in the road. It drove like my older cars that had suspension problems and were dangerous to drive. I just can’t believe that a brand new car would drive as rough as a 1993 Jeep that needed an whole new undercarriage actually the Jeep was smoother then my HRV. I live in a pothole full city and find myself taking detours and sometimes not even wanting to drive to certain locations because I know the roads are super bad. Not at all what I expected in a brand new car and highly disappointed.

#17 ·
So I wrote earlier that I was ok with my HRV's suspension, after living with it some more, I am not happy with it.

I bought an AirHawk car/office seat cushion (I have used them in the past on motorcycles - they are excellent products) and it is a lot better although not perfect. I had to lower the seat to compensate for the air cushion (which I blew up to maximum (ignore airhawk's instructions, maximum pressure from your mouth is what you want).

So it's a pretty good solution for around $100, but I am not tall at 5'6" and now I have the seat all the way down, so it may not be a viable solution for very tall people.

#22 ·
I am leasing a 2018 HR-V and trying to decide whether to keep it when the lease is up. I like most things about it. It's got lots of cargo area. It's peppy and nimble enough for the kind of driving I do. The one thing I don't like about it is this: small bumps in the road, like a man-hole cover that sits 1" above street level or a shallow pothole 2" deep, make you feel like you're off-roading in Baja. In the HR-V you feel tossed around in your seat when driving over pretty minor road irregularities. Our former car was a 2005 Ford Escape, which was a smooth ride over small bumps and was much better with potholes, even larger ones. It was a heavier vehicle with bigger wheels, heftier springs, and larger tires with relatively higher sidewall. So I realize it is not a fair comparison. But what can be done, safely, to the HR-V, that would make it better able to handle small bumps and potholes? Is there a suspension upgrade kit available with that particular goal in mind? What I've found on the internet seems to be for people who want to improve the HR-V's handling at higher speeds and "spirited" driving.
Hi I hv e same bumpy issue with my 2015 vezel. Tyre pressure is set to 220kpa and had changed to all brand new tyres with brand new kyp gas shocks. Actually I wanted to get hydraulic type, but not available in spore. and had installed stiffeners for all 4tyres. Some call it "buffers"but still disappointingly not significant improvement. Next endeavour will be waiting for 1more year to change the shocks to hydraulic type in Malaysia, as I heard it's available there. If after the last attempt and if I don't feel much improvement, then I have to say Vezel is really has bad engineering for suspension. Previously was Toyota Wish regret selling that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.