Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leasing a 2018 HR-V and trying to decide whether to keep it when the lease is up. I like most things about it. It's got lots of cargo area. It's peppy and nimble enough for the kind of driving I do. The one thing I don't like about it is this: small bumps in the road, like a man-hole cover that sits 1" above street level or a shallow pothole 2" deep, make you feel like you're off-roading in Baja. In the HR-V you feel tossed around in your seat when driving over pretty minor road irregularities.

Our former car was a 2005 Ford Escape, which was a smooth ride over small bumps and was much better with potholes, even larger ones. It was a heavier vehicle with bigger wheels, heftier springs, and larger tires with relatively higher sidewall. So I realize it is not a fair comparison.

But what can be done, safely, to the HR-V, that would make it better able to handle small bumps and potholes? Is there a suspension upgrade kit available with that particular goal in mind? What I've found on the internet seems to be for people who want to improve the HR-V's handling at higher speeds and "spirited" driving.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think the ride is pretty great for this little car - its only $25,000.
You want smooth over bumps - go check out an AUDI or soemthing that costs 3x the price.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
The general consensus of opinion on my previous vehicles owners forum was that the manufacturer did not necessarily fit the best tyres tailored for the vehicle, but fitted the tyres they got the best deal on.

I initially had no complaints about the Dunlop SP01's originally fitted to that vehicle until I replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, which were quieter, offered better grip, and were miles ahead when it came to minor bump and road imperfection absorption. They in turn were surpassed by the Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 2 I subsequently fitted, and as a result of their performance on that vehicle, currently have fitted to my HR-V.

I have just returned from a short break in Cumbria in the north of England which included farm tracks and poorly maintained rural roads, and the tyres handled it all with aplomb. They still get caught out with the occasional bigger pot hole, but if your current tyres are due to be replaced, I can thoroughly recommend either of the previously mentioned Goodyear tyres in your quest for better bump absorption.

Regards,

HT

·
Registered
2016 Honda hrv
3 Posts
You want smooth over bumps - go check out an AUDI or soemthing that costs 3x the price.
You want smooth over bumps - go check out an AUDI or soemthing that costs 3x
I agree nice pic !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts