Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Vezel Versus Honda CRV

The Vezel is about 9 inches shorter than the CR-V, currently the smallest crossover in Honda's U.S. lineup, as well as 1 inch narrower and 1 inch lower. The wheelbase is also about 1 inch less. The vehicle is 7 inches longer than the current Fit hatchback.

In Japan, the hybrid version of the Honda Vezel is expected to account for 90 percent of sales. Not so in the United States.

Honda won't even offer the hybrid variant in U.S. showrooms initially. When U.S. sales begin, the Vezel will have a standard gasoline engine.

Down the road, the Vezel will get a turbocharged version to improve fuel economy and boost power, Yoshiharu Itai, the crossover's chief engineer, says.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131220/carnews/131229999#ixzz2zApXNWA5

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mk1 HR-V 5 door was 161" long.

Mk2 HR-V (Vezel) is 169"... so a little larger.

Mk1 CR-V was 178" long.

Amazingly, Mk2, Mk3, and Mk4 CR-V were/are also 178" long.

CR-V hasn't changed in size at all... probably the only car in the last 20 years that didn't grow.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Comparing design, front end on the Vezel looks so much better IMO. Now if they took that design language and applied it to the CRV it would help, a lot.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Also in terms of weight, FWD Vezel (HR-V) weighs about 680 pounds less than the front-wheel drive CR-V. Have not been able to locate AWD HR-V numbers...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also in terms of weight, FWD Vezel (HR-V) weighs about 680 pounds less than the front-wheel drive CR-V. Have not been able to locate AWD HR-V numbers...
AWD adds about 200 lbs. Here are the weights for the base (G) gasoline Vezel:

FWD: 1,180 kg (2,601 lb)
AWD: 1,270 kg (2,800 lb)

Also keep in mind that the base JDM CR-V is a bit lighter than than the base US, 3,219 to 3,305 lbs.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Why do you think that the HRV won't be getting a hybrid in the US at first. It seems like a really good vehicle to put a hybrid engine into. I mean they do it in japan. At the point that people are looking into an HRV, I think that it is safe to assume that they are somewhat conscious of fuel economy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why do you think that the HRV won't be getting a hybrid in the US at first. It seems like a really good vehicle to put a hybrid engine into. I mean they do it in japan. At the point that people are looking into an HRV, I think that it is safe to assume that they are somewhat conscious of fuel economy.
I think Honda will wait and see how well the HR-V sells here first. Subcompacts don't tend to sell as well in the US and they usually go to budget consumers that aren't willing to pay a premium for hybrids. If you look at the Prius C, both the Nissan Versa and Kia Soul outsell it roughly 3 to 1. In Japan subcompacts are among the bestselling cars and there are smaller cars for people on a budget to choose from. So subcompacts there tend to be better appointed inside and the price for hybrids is offset by tax reductions.

Also, I'm not sure if the Celaya plant (which will manufacture Fits and HR-Vs for North America) is set up to produce hybrids. Honda is also having a hard time getting batteries made to keep up with domestic demand, so importing them from Japan probably isn't feasible nor profitable at the current exchange rate.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That does make sense, and plus it's the bigger vehicles in america that need hybrid systems more than smaller vehicles so i don't think they would care to be in much of a rush with this

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are no compact or subcompact hybrid SUV/CUV's avail currently since Ford dropped the Escape hybrid drive train. I currently own an older Mercury Mariner AWD hybrid & love it. And there is nothing new to replace it with? I'd buy the HR-V when available but ONLY if they market it in the US with a hybrid model.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Read an article that was talking about how the Honda CR-V is one of the least stolen cars in America. I'm just hoping that will mean that the HR-V will also not be stolen much. Do you think that is a fair thing to expect?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/eight-cars-even-thieves-want.html
being a vehicle to be sold in many nations... yes.

someone can steal a HRV from the U.S. and have it stripped down and parts shipped off to europe for sale, for example.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think that thieves just target the car models that are the most popular that way it isn't hard for them to find somewhere to sell the parts too. The CR-V is a popular vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Remote control keys of recent cars - an inviation to theft

Once keys are lost in a parking lot, it is easy for a thieve to pick them-up, walk around the parking lot pressing the lock or open button, see or hear which car react and help himself.

Attracting attention is so stupid ! Once I have my car, I will install a good old hidden kill switch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Once keys are lost in a parking lot, it is easy for a thieve to pick them-up, walk around the parking lot pressing the lock or open button, see or hear which car react and help himself.

Attracting attention is so stupid ! Once I have my car, I will install a good old hidden kill switch.
that's the best thing to do
but most of my cars are just to get me from a-to-b and i do my best not to leave anything too valuable in it for too long. so far my luck has been good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are no compact or subcompact hybrid SUV/CUV's avail currently since Ford dropped the Escape hybrid drive train. I currently own an older Mercury Mariner AWD hybrid & love it. And there is nothing new to replace it with? I'd buy the HR-V when available but ONLY if they market it in the US with a hybrid model.
I bought an HRV in June - and LOVE it. Had an older CRV and the mileage was killing me...I now get 31-34 MPG and it's lovely. I'm loving this vehicle more than any car I've bought new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts