Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Jeep Renegade aims to assault global markets by year end. Battling it out in similar markets it will be interesting to watch which one is favored. The Renegade is by far the most capable option in segment, but the question is how important is that capability to buyers of this segment. Will the HR-Vs offer of Hondas legendary reliabilty and economy be too much for the Jeep to topple?

probably...

·
Registered
48 Posts
the base models probably might compete

i know the renegade can be optioned with a neat awd option though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yea the HRV isn't meant for off-roading really. They will compete for the same consumers but the two look very different. I think that because of that, people will automatically be drawn to one or the other. Its more of a matter of what more people want: a small off-road styled car, or a more sleek and modern designed CUV that has less capabilities.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the HRV isn't meant for off-roading really. They will compete for the same consumers but the two look very different. I think that because of that, people will automatically be drawn to one or the other. Its more of a matter of what more people want: a small off-road styled car, or a more sleek and modern designed CUV that has less capabilities.
valid points, but the renegade really doesnt show ANY kind of capability until you get to the range topping Trailhawk. Now of course even Jeeps base AWD system outstrips Honda by miles, however I don't think there will be as much dichotomy between the two as might be thought....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Truth is for any of these to be even the least bit off road worthy you need to get one of the higher packages. When it comes to the HRV, I wouldn't even consider off-roading it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't think that the HRV is even trying to be an off-roader though. Even at the highest trim level I don't think that the HRV is trying to be an off-roader. Nowadays people want something that looks like it can off-road but they don't actually need it to be a genuine off-roader. The Jeep Renegade will actually be an off-roader for people. it is something that sets the Renegade apart, though many people probably just won't care about the Renegade's off-road abilities.

·
Registered
48 Posts
in terms of design i'd say the renegade isn't as modern as the hrv

renegade is a touch old school with all the boxyness

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think thats due in part to the renegade being inspired from the current compact Jeep, meanwhile the HRV is really one of the first of it`s kind for Honda in a while.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It will, it's a Jeep after all and last I remember they wanted to keep it as a real jeep and not just something watered down to throw in the segment

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Renegade is not watered down at all. Its more capable than both the Compass and Patriot that its replacing...

approach angle on the Renegade is right around 30 degrees. The prior approach angle on Patriot was around 29 degrees.

On departure Renegade is around 34 degrees and Patriot/Compass was 34 or 33 depending on fascia.

Breakover is 25 degrees [Renegade] and was 24 degrees [Patriot/Compass].

Renegade has 20:1 crawl vs Patriots 19:1

Renegade has 16% more low down torque

·
Registered
741 Posts
The Renegade is not watered down at all. Its more capable than both the Compass and Patriot that its replacing...

approach angle on the Renegade is right around 30 degrees. The prior approach angle on Patriot was around 29 degrees.

On departure Renegade is around 34 degrees and Patriot/Compass was 34 or 33 depending on fascia.

Breakover is 25 degrees [Renegade] and was 24 degrees [Patriot/Compass].

Renegade has 20:1 crawl vs Patriots 19:1

Renegade has 16% more low down torque
Thanks for outlining it all, good to see it like this. In the end it's a real Jeep, just as much as any other of their vehicles, but of course to an extent because of the segment, price, etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts