Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Australia!!

I need some information regarding the Call answer button and Call hang up buttons on the Honda HRV 2018 on the steering wheel. Formally called the HFL switch.

Today I got my Kenwood DDX9020dabs installed.

I used the Aerpro reverse camera adaptor and the Aerpro antenna adaptor. Everything else was hard wired using the harness which came with the 9020dabs including steering wheel controls harness.

Everything is working but 2 issues detected.

1) on the steering wheel there is an answer button and hang up button for calls (HFL switch) I have no idea how the wiring works for this module. Would anyone happen to have some information why these are no longer working even when using a steering wheel control harness?
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering wheel

2) I've retained the OEM camera but unfortunately the view of the camera seems skewed now. It literally is picking up a different field of view than with the stock unit. Would this be the harness or the head unit?

Apart from this everything is working well I just wish I could retain all steering wheel controls.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I think I have found the answer to my question.

HFL stands for HandsFreeLink and those two buttons are controlled by the factory head unit. I do not believe any aftermarket head unit will have functionality of these buttons.

I did find a bit of further information on where it's plugged into. This also makes me believe that these controls are connected via Bluetooth. These won't ever be retained.

Can anyone confirm if I'm right or wrong?

Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Technical drawing

Schematic Rectangle Parallel Font Technical drawing

·
Registered
767 Posts
I could not re-use the factory SiriusXM module with my new Kewood - its signal went through some other factory controller - so its possible the aftermarket stuff will not work one to one.
Can you contact Kenwood ?
did you use that iDatalink/maestro module ? (They were very helpful to me)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
did you use that iDatalink/maestro module ? (They were very helpful to me)
Here in Australia we don't have these modules. Instead we have something generic which seems similar called
AXSWC. This is just a generic steering wheel control module but this still won't work with the HFL buttons.

Most installers will just use the standard steering wheel control harness which comes with the 9020dabs and based on evidence so far this is all you need. I did have a secondary harness which came wired inside the pack but returned it. Also returned the facia which wasn't needed.

So the only items I purchased and used was:
APA79
APVHO01
Both is these are by Aerpro.

I really don't know if contacting Kenwood will do anything as the guy who installed this unit has 16 years experience with kenwoods and even said the HFL looks to be Bluetooth. From what he was saying is he couldn't locate any wiring from the HFL through any harness located behind the factory head unit. He only spent an hour on it before giving up.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here in Australia we don't have these modules. Instead we have something generic which seems similar called
AXSWC. This is just a generic steering wheel control module but this still won't work with the HFL buttons.

Most installers will just use the standard steering wheel control harness which comes with the 9020dabs and based on evidence so far this is all you need. I did have a secondary harness which came wired inside the pack but returned it. Also returned the facia which wasn't needed.

So the only items I purchased and used was:
APA79
APVHO01
Both is these are by Aerpro.

I really don't know if contacting Kenwood will do anything as the guy who installed this unit has 16 years experience with kenwoods and even said the HFL looks to be Bluetooth. From what he was saying is he couldn't locate any wiring from the HFL through any harness located behind the factory head unit. He only spent an hour on it before giving up.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
It would make sense that the HFL would be connected via Bluetooth since any cellphone connection would also be via Bluetooth, and that’s basically what those connection buttons are for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, according to the website it says 'Supports OEM Phone Button when connected to compatible aftermarket bluetooth headunits'.

At the moment it's like this module isnt even wired in anymore. It's a shame these companies don't do research on cars and make products for them

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
457 Posts
Here is the Dasaita thread, I've been posting my experiences with it in that thread since I've bought it:

Here is my album with the Dasaita head unit in my car:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts