Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed today a number of people mentioned that in relation to the HRV they are also considering the Kia Soul. I presume you are looking at a front-wheel-drive HRV then? As much as I like the Soul unfortunately it is not an option as it does not offer all-wheel-drive. I only wish Kia would have given this option years ago but I imagine it would take too many sales from the Sportage.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yay! An excuse to talk about my under-appreciated Soul!

http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/concept-cars/trailster

An AWD Soul will be here in September. They previewed it at Chicago with the Trailster concept, and I saw it person at NYC. The Kia marketing guys winked and nodded and said "coming real soon", like this September.

Also in September, the Soul gets the usual two-year refresh, which always means a few styling tweaks and a wonderful new engine. Economy jumps to HRV class for all Souls, and a big power boost to 180 HP for the base 1.5 turbo (and 220 HP for the AWD hybrid if they go that route). Mind you, we're talking 180 HP in a car that weighs about the same as the HRV.

I know big changes are coming this fall, but I don't know how much it will all cost. I love my Soul because you get so much for so little, as long as you don't mind driving around in a car that half the public considers an eyesore (applies to the Juke too).

I can say that I fell in love not with the Trailster, but with the two-door Soulster. I want that car soooo bad.

OK, thanks for enduring my Kia commercial. Back to the HRV.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I forgot to answer your question about why no AWD before now.

Kia was asked about that at Chicago, and they answered that the original design just couldn't handle the extra power and stress. They had to upgrade all the parts and pieces.

They wanted to release the AWD last fall, but it just wasn't ready for prime time. Also, at 150,000 Souls sold every year, they weren't exactly feeling the need for speed.

No way I'm buying an AWD anything, even though I'm in CT. FWD with snow tires handles anything winter can throw at me just fine. But I'm a granpa who grew up driving through PA snow with a rear-wheel-drive V8.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you would like this thread. :)

The one thing I am surprised with the current Soul is the so-so gas mileage and if they're going to give it a more powerful engine that should be interesting how they handle the gas mileage issue.

An AWD Soul will be here in September. They previewed it at Chicago with the Trailster concept, and I saw it person at NYC. The Kia marketing guys winked and nodded and said "coming real soon", like this September.

Also in September, the Soul gets the usual two-year refresh, which always means a few styling tweaks and a wonderful new engine. Economy jumps to HRV class for all Souls, and a big power boost to 180 HP for the base 1.5 turbo (and 220 HP for the AWD hybrid if they go that route). Mind you, we're talking 180 HP in a car that weighs about the same as the HRV.

I know big changes are coming this fall, but I don't know how much it will all cost. I love my Soul because you get so much for so little, as long as you don't mind driving around in a car that half the public considers an eyesore (applies to the Juke too).

I can say that I fell in love not with the Trailster, but with the two-door Soulster. I want that car soooo bad.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's more powerful, but also more efficient. They're saying 20% to 25% better fuel economy. It's the usual story - downsizing from 2.0 normally aspirated to 1.5 turbocharged.

The reason the HRV is a strong competitor for my money - I don't like two things about the new Soul. First, they made the interior quite claustrophobia-inducing by going to one of those vertical dashboards (The HRV, bless Honda's good design sense, does not). Second, they took away the standard transmission in all but the base model.

So I'm hoping the HRV knocks my socks off during the test drive (soon).

s

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's agreat time to be a consumer. So many Makers are now able to produce excellent products. Each of their product cycles sees advances in performance,safety,reliability,and economy. New categories are being created to cater to every need and want. Surely my dream car will be introduced any day now and it will be really ,really cheap.:D

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should be interesting to say the least. So far it seems the HRV offers the best versatility and balance overall when it comes to cargo space, gas mileage, etc.

It's more powerful, but also more efficient. They're saying 20% to 25% better fuel economy. It's the usual story - downsizing from 2.0 normally aspirated to 1.5 turbocharged.

The reason the HRV is a strong competitor for my money - I don't like two things about the new Soul. First, they made the interior quite claustrophobia-inducing by going to one of those vertical dashboards (The HRV, bless Honda's good design sense, does not). Second, they took away the standard transmission in all but the base model.

So I'm hoping the HRV knocks my socks off during the test drive (soon).

s

·
Registered
231 Posts

I was surprised at the amount of listed cargo space. I'd guess that's a result of the roof not sloping. It sure takes a hit in aerodynamics/fuel efficiency 'though. Still, as you said, it's a lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also, my Soul doesn't have those glorious Honda magic seats - nobody does. They fold down absolutely flat - everyone else, you have a little tilt.

That they haven't been copied tells me Honda must have a multi-year patent on them.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
290 Posts
The thing that really blows me away about the Soul is this...

I'd never buy a base Soul because I like the bigger engine, touch screen, etc. But if you go with a base Soul, manual transmission, and 130 hp smaller engine - that thing lists for $15,100 before an easy $2,000 discount!

I mean, yes it's a stripper model - manual, smaller engine, no fancy touchscreen. But everything else in the car is pretty much the same as the higher trim levels. We're talking $13,000 for a car that's just a few notches below the HRV. I don't know how they can do that.

Imagine if Honda offered an HRV entry model with a 130 HP engine and manual for $15,000 (don't even apply a discount). The lines would stretch for miles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> They do... It is called the Fit

Nice try :) I guess I asked for that one.

If Fit = Soul, then Fit = HRV. And if that's true, why haven't we all gone out and bought a Fit?

What I'm getting at is that the Fit is a subcompact car with a very low eye height. The Soul, like the HRV and ten others, is a subcompact CUV with a medium eye height.

Clever answer, and it gave me a smile, but Fit <> Soul, just like Fit <> HRV.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My aversion to the Soul is styling (too urban/juvenile), Korean quality (real or perceived), the resale value stinks, and the hamsters (almost went Elvis on the TV).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh come on. You guys are all just joshing me. I know everyone here secretly longs for a Soul. Admit it. You secretly want an alien green, half-bug, half-Kermit, mercilessly rectangular hunk of Korean metal gracing your driveway, don't you?

Oh wait, I think I just described a Korean DMZ artillery position.

I have to confess this. At the NYC auto show, I snapped a selfie next to the hot hamster girl cutout. Really.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I Confess...

You secretly want an alien green, half-bug, half-Kermit, mercilessly rectangular hunk of Korean metal gracing your driveway, don't you?
:)
You got me. When I was considering the Soul just a short bit ago, I was kinda drawn to the Latte Brown. It was more tame than the Alien Green II.

Deep down inside though, I knew that I just wanted to put my conservative color choice aside and go wild with that green. My logic is that if you're gonna do it, do it all the way. The Soul looks different and so a signature color like the Alien Green II might as well complete the look.

Seriously.

I ruled the Soul out because it's cargo area is just too small. Another strike against it is that it doesn't have a spare tire as standard. There are just some things I won't be without and a spare tire is one of them. I don't want an air pump kit instead of a tire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My aversion to the Soul is styling (too urban/juvenile), Korean quality (real or perceived), the resale value stinks, and the hamsters (almost went Elvis on the TV).
I would think the Sportage is a bit closer to the HRV then Soul. Altough a bit bigger in size (5,5 inch longer) and a bit more expensive.
Quality could no be that big issue considering their warranty deals, 5 year overall and ten on powertrain ( Belgium 7 year complete warranty on the entire car).
Over here they are a really big hit, you come across one with ever corner you take (figure of speech), together with Hyundai's IX35, soon to be called Tucson again as the new model is about to arrive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, my Soul doesn't have those glorious Honda magic seats - nobody does. They fold down absolutely flat - everyone else, you have a little tilt.

That they haven't been copied tells me Honda must have a multi-year patent on them.
There are plenty of cars with fold-flat back seats (my Vibe being one of them). Magic Seats aren't a requirement to fold flat. However, Magic Seats are pretty awesome and they are exclusively Honda.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are plenty of cars with fold-flat back seats (my Vibe being one of them). Magic Seats aren't a requirement to fold flat. However, Magic Seats are pretty awesome and they are exclusively Honda.
Right. My base-level '06 Escape XLS has fold-flat seats (the seat bottom folds forward to allow the seatback to sit flat).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have looked at the soul mainly because of price, but discarded it because of its low fuel economy
I don't need AWD, and I rather have the larger cargo space of the HR-V, BUT, if they increase their fuel efficency significantly and keep the base model a few thousand bucks lower than the HR-V base (auto/cvt, wife doesn't drive manual) I wouldnt mind loosing the cargo space
But that's me, a tree-huger urban driver on a budget

1 - 20 of 44 Posts