Honda HR-V Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure that the CX-3 is a wonderful car in its own right, but I haven't noticed anyone speak about driver space in the CX-3.

I was coerced by my daughter (who owns a Mazda 3) to at least take the CX-3 for test drive. While waiting for the Honda dealer to get the HR-V prepped for my test drive, we walked across the street to look at the Mazda.
I am fairly described as large chested and I am 6 ft., 250 lbs. After settling into the driver's seat and feeling the position of the controls I wanted to look at the engine bay and then the fun began. I discovered that the door post was actually in front of my left shoulder. The distance between that and the steering wheel was shorter than I'd ever seen before and had to contort myself to get out of the car. I do have a bad back and knees are shot from years of construction, and quickly found that this would never work for me.

So we walked back to Honda and I sat into a HR-V EX and immediately found that the door post was behind my left shoulder and lots of room to get in and out. At that point I wanted to test drive the EX-L and had to wait for a couple of weeks before one became available. I ended up buying one.

My knees and back have never been happier. My '09 Civic were a challenge some days to fall into and climb out of, as anyone with arthritis can attest to. Now it's a matter of sliding in and out. Just wish there was a little lumbar adjustment, though.

I am sure the CX-3 is a car that if it fits you, you will be happy with it. The controls appear to be laid out sensibly, though as previously mentioned, rather tight.

That is my 2 cents Canadian or 1.4 cents US.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm sure that the CX-3 is a wonderful car in its own right, but I haven't noticed anyone speak about driver space in the CX-3.

--- SNIP ---

So we walked back to Honda and I sat into a HR-V EX and immediately found that the door post was behind my left shoulder and lots of room to get in and out. At that point I wanted to test drive the EX-L and had to wait for a couple of weeks before one became available. I ended up buying one.

--- SNIP ---

"...for the Bluenose is sailing once again"
Thank you for writing up your experience with the CX3 ... the wife didn't like the design and I'm slightly taller than you, so we'll skip the test drive.

Bluenose: Champion, Icon, Ambassador ... I love it! Never a more beautiful underbody!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very kind reply mainemanx, you sir, have a wonderful State and gracious people that I will be once again driving to, this summer with our HR-V. Hopefully Cadillac Mountian will offer a better view than the last time there. Quite foggy as I remember. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts

I was coerced by my daughter (who owns a Mazda 3) to at least take the CX-3 for test drive. While waiting for the Honda dealer to get the HR-V prepped for my test drive, we walked across the street to look at the Mazda.
I am fairly described as large chested and I am 6 ft., 250 lbs. After settling into the driver's seat and feeling the position of the controls I wanted to look at the engine bay and then the fun began. I discovered that the door post was actually in front of my left shoulder. The distance between that and the steering wheel was shorter than I'd ever seen before and had to contort myself to get out of the car. I do have a bad back and knees are shot from years of construction, and quickly found that this would never work for me.

My knees and back have never been happier. My '09 Civic were a challenge some days to fall into and climb out of, as anyone with arthritis can attest to. Now it's a matter of sliding in and out. Just wish there was a little lumbar adjustment, though.

I am sure the CX-3 is a car that if it fits you, you will be happy with it. The controls appear to be laid out sensibly, though as previously mentioned, rather tight.

I don't know if I'm just weirdly built or something, but I actually felt kind of cramped in the HRV compared to the CX-3. In terms of width, the CX-3 definitely felt smaller, but even with the seat in the HRV moved all the way back I felt a bit squished. I'm not tall by any means (5'8 with a 30" inseam), and in my wife's Civic I sit with my seat about 70% of the way back, so I don't know what's the deal with the HRV. I thought maybe there might be some difference between the FWD and AWD versions, but this week at the LA Auto Show I had the opportunity to test drive both versions (and the CX-3 and Crosstrek and 30 other cars), and it was the same case with both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drove both today and found this site while doing searches. What i found is that the CX3 was more fun to drive(I drove a GT) and had cooler features(HUD to name one). The sport mode with the paddle shifters was fun to lay with and then you had the manual mode with the console shift also. Visibility was worse in CX3 for me and I felt more confined. I am 6'3" 210 lbs. the HRV was more spacious but a dog performance wise and ws ho hum as far as extra features. We are replacing a 2013 Rogue SL and wanted to go smaller. I wish the hrv had the performance of the cx3 but tht being said we are leaning toward the hrv exl as under normal driving/useI think the HRV is a better overall vehicle albeit more "boring".

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know if it's me or my HRV or the fact that I am comparing it to a sluggish oil burning Crosstrek, but I find that now that I am over the break in mileage, my HRV can go like a bat out of ****.

I am mystified by all the complaints about lack of oomph. I drive on the freeway every day where we have umpteen trucks of all varieties all going at 20 kmph above the speed limit. I have no problem merging or passing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't know if it's me or my HRV or the fact that I am comparing it to a sluggish oil burning Crosstrek, but I find that now that I am over the break in mileage, my HRV can go like a bat out of ****.

I am mystified by all the complaints about lack of oomph. I drive on the freeway every day where we have umpteen trucks of all varieties all going at 20 kmph above the speed limit. I have no problem merging or passing.
I feel the same.
I think most of the "complaints" are a combination of Eco mode (throttle desensitized), and CVT characteristic.
I have never encountered a situation where I needed more power/oomph. Just a flick of the left paddle shifter always give me all the acceleration I need.

And it is not that I do not appreciate power. My other (non commuter) car is a Porsche Carrera 4S (400bhp+/-).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find my HRV has plenty of "get up and go" as well. No problem passing or merging and it is great on gas. So far I love this car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know if I'm just weirdly built or something, but I actually felt kind of cramped in the HRV compared to the CX-3. In terms of width, the CX-3 definitely felt smaller, but even with the seat in the HRV moved all the way back I felt a bit squished. I'm not tall by any means (5'8 with a 30" inseam), and in my wife's Civic I sit with my seat about 70% of the way back, so I don't know what's the deal with the HRV. I thought maybe there might be some difference between the FWD and AWD versions, but this week at the LA Auto Show I had the opportunity to test drive both versions (and the CX-3 and Crosstrek and 30 other cars), and it was the same case with both.
The seat, to me, seems to have a limited amount of travel. I think it's because of the gas tank or the magic seats (or both?). So the seats don't seem to go as far back as some other cars.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I feel the same.
I think most of the "complaints" are a combination of Eco mode (throttle desensitized), and CVT characteristic.
I almost always use eco mode because it softens throttle input (important for people with poor throttle control), and it reduces "downshifts" at highway speeds.. If I stomp on the accelerator, it downshifts as needed. If I want "fun" I put it in Sport mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Rogue is a cvt and I am used to that. The HRV just doesnt have the "guts" imho is easy to see just look at its performance numbers. Now that being said it is not horrible just what I find as one of its 'faults". I am still most likely buying one just wish it was a might bit quicker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove both and felt more comfortable in the HRV. I wanted to like the Mazda more, it just didn't feel right. HRV definitely felt roomier.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I went to a Mazda dealer because my son was interested in the Mazda 3. So, I took a very close look at CX3 while we were waiting for a car to test drive. I was not interested in test driving the CX3, but here is my opinion:
- The car is UGLY. Uglier in person than in pictures
- Small
- Inside not nearly as nice as the HRV
- Front seat felt crowded and claustrophobic
- Leg room non existing in the back and VERY claustrophobic
- Oh did I mention that is ugly...

I quickly lost interested and stopped looking at the CX3.....
By the way, my son ended up buying the 2016 Civic Touring....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I sat in a CX-3 a few months ago. I thought the interior was comparable, if different, to the HR-V, and found the shape of the front seats fit me better. Completely agree on all the other points; as one reviewer said, there is so little rear seat passenger space that you may as well fold down the rear seats permanently and use it as a 2-door hatch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Having owned a 2003 Mazda Protege5, I had full intentions of getting the CX-3. To me, it is the modern AWD version of the Protege5 and not the Mazda3. The Protege5 was a fun car and I would have kept it if it were not the rusting rear quarter fenders.

Then I sat in a CX-3. It didn't feel right to me. Perhaps, I've gotten tired of the boy racer look, or maybe it was the propped up touch screen that seemed like an afterthought. I test drove it and it drove as expected for a Mazda.

Then I drove to the Honda dealer down the road. I sat in the HRV. Luxurious, well designed, roomy were my immediate first thoughts. I couldn't remember the test drive because all I thought of was that the CX-3 was not the vehicle I thought it would be. Instead of a slam dunk, my mind was rolling around that basketball rim of indecision.

On paper, the CX-3 was the perfect car for me. But my gut feeling said the HRV was the one to buy. I don't regret the decision. In otherwords, vehicle purchases are personal choices.

Anyhow, as I mentioned to my wife, if I want zoom-zoom in the future, there's always the Miata MX-5:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looked at the 2016 HR-V EX-L. Good fit for me and the dog. Mileage and storage are acceptable. Nicely finished inside but had trouble seeing over the hood. When will the 2017 be in showrooms? Read that they will be modifying the design. Will compare to/test drive the Mazda CX-3 before deciding. Thinking about trading my 2014 CR-V EX-L when the warranty expires in 10/16. Battery problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looked at the 2016 HR-V EX-L. Good fit for me and the dog. Mileage and storage are acceptable. Nicely finished inside but had trouble seeing over the hood. When will the 2017 be in showrooms? Read that they will be modifying the design. Will compare to/test drive the Mazda CX-3 before deciding. Thinking about trading my 2014 CR-V EX-L when the warranty expires in 10/16. Battery problem.
http://2017bestcars.net/2017-honda-hrv-review-specs/

·
Registered
485 Posts
I tried 3 different CX-3's...top trim level on two.

Pros:The front seat felt better than the HRV EX-L...and the non-leather.
Inside front looked 'cooler' than the EX-L. THAT said, an HRV with the tan interior accents gives it an understated run for the money. ALL black HRV's inside just did not cut it for me.
A bit easier to get the perfect seating dialed in.
Oodles of safety 'features'.

Cons: It's just a more noisy car. 'Authorities' go on about the CVT Drone of the HRV. Honestly, that 'vroom-vroom' couple with more road/wind noise got on my nerves more than the temporary acceleration 'hoom-hoom' (if I can coin a phrase). So, that nice bose speaker...kinda pointless. Put it in a quieter car an Mazda would have something.
Lack of space for hauling stuff.
(this sounds ironic to have as both a pro and a con, but...the optional (drives the price up) safety features. I do like the cross traffic idea, but the other stuff was a bit much. I liked being able to actually see what was to my right side when merging left...a little red blinky thing kinda gets left in the dust in comparison.

That sums it up for me. I chose practicality and a little less noise over the glitz. The infotainment stuff is a breeze in the HRV EX-L when you get use to it and utilize the pre-sets. The air conditioning...I would prefer nobs, but I'm only fickle about not having them in the REALLY cold weather when you constantly want to dial in the right amount of heat to the right places at the right time.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts