Honda HR-V Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 958 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is a great comparison article and the Crosstrek is one of the other vehicles that I am considering. it gets pretty great reviews across the board. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
That is a great comparison article and the Crosstrek is one of the other vehicles that I am considering. it gets pretty great reviews across the board. Thanks for posting this.
Crosstrek is a good car. However I just saw one in the parking lot and is way too short height wise to carry tall items in the back. I would have to go with Forester if I chose Subaru.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The add lists
Crosstek 26/34 HR-V 27/32

The US websites state
Crosstek (up to) 26/34 HR-V 28/35

Note the "up to", and think who the review is done by, Subaru
So do your own independent research.
I like the subaru, but their flat boxer engine has been plauged with oil problems. There is a class action law suite that is on right now with people having problems.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The add lists
Crosstek 26/34 HR-V 27/32

The US websites state
Crosstek (up to) 26/34 HR-V 28/35

Note the "up to", and think who the review is done by, Subaru
So do your own independent research.
I like the subaru, but their flat boxer engine has been plauged with oil problems. There is a class action law suite that is on right now with people having problems.
I am concerned about the oil thing too. That would have to be remedied before I would buy one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not a bad car

My neighbour has a new Crosstrek, it is not a bad car, i car pool with him once a week on a 120 km round trip, here are my thoughts:
First the good:
The finish seems ok, although the touch screen seems to be in a bit of an odd place, almost like an afterthought.
The awd seems good, (my wife has an outback, so it feels decidedly Subaru)
Space is not bad, we fit 3 guys and our hockey equipment in, it is tight but the seating position seems good.
TH cvt is a lot less annoying than some, although it does get the revs up a little too much when passing.

The not great:
The fuel consumption is not very good at all, granted it is winter driving but it is about the same as my wifes outback and marginally better than my ridgeline, we drive the exact same route same speed, he averages 11 litres per 100km we drive around 95-100 km/h. On the same route i get 12 with my ridgeline.
It has developed a slow oil leak - about 8000km on it.........

If I had a dealer locally i would probably look closer but our nearest dealer is 350km away and it is a terrible dealership, my honda dealer on the other hand is stellar.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That issue is not effected by the 2015 Crosstrek.

All wheel drive is always better than what Honda uses and the ground clearance is amazing, plus an additional airbag. Will come down to Hondas pricing has superior ownership costs along with quality and reliability.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That issue is not effected by the 2015 Crosstrek.

All wheel drive is always better than what Honda uses and the ground clearance is amazing, plus an additional airbag. Will come down to Hondas pricing has superior ownership costs along with quality and reliability.
Are you saying the 2015 Crosstrek is not affected by the oil-consumption issue?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
But it does say the 2013 Crosstrek was. Are we sure that is fixed or is it just that the lawsuit involved people who had the 2013?

"The suit seeks to represent buyers of 2011-14 Foresters, the 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback, all with 2.5-liter "Boxer" engines; and the 2012-13 Impreza and 2013 Crosstrek, with 2-liter "Boxer" engines."

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think a more correct answer is the current Crosstrek engine is not part of the current class action law-suit.
As experienced with bikerider's (above) neighbor's oil problem at 8,000, it's still not fixed 100%. Just not class action lawsuit yet.

A friend of mine at work bought a new Subaru, engine went at 40,000. Replaced on warranty. Second engine went at 80,000, sold for scrap rather the fix it again.

I know lots of people that have great experience with Subaru, and swear by them.
Depending on how the HR-V tests for me, and pricing, I'm still contemplating the Outback as an alternative.
But I also think it's only fair to warn people that these boxer engines have had more then their share of problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are Subaru lovers and Honda lovers so difference just simple I like Honda doesn't matter what I will buy one(same as Subaru),so we can compare 10 mln times and still you will go for what you think.My personal opinion Honda more reliable then Subaru and again never had Subaru base on my neighbor experience,always have Honda (4 cars):).

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep in mind this is just one issue and if you go back you can find similar situations with Honda.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The comments at the following page (by owners) leaves me with reservation about Subaru at this point, especially about the overfilling to mask the problem: http://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-subaru-s-excessive-oil-consumption-issue-could-spoil-their-party

Some of those comments are just from the past couple of months. The comments are just too numerous. I cannot buy a Subaru not matter how much I like their product otherwise.

They will regret not acknowledging and working on a fix early on. Their reputation will suffer and it will be reflected in reduced future sales.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Some of those comments are just from the past couple of months. The comments are just too numerous. I cannot buy a Subaru not matter how much I like their product otherwise.

They will regret not acknowledging and working on a fix early on. Their reputation will suffer and it will be reflected in reduced future sales.
Right, me too. Someone on another forum suggested they should revitalize confidence within their customer base by ditching the boxers for inline Toyota engines (Toyota a corporate partner). A Forester with an inline Toyota would be nice, eh?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has a 2014 Crosstrek and absolutely loves it. Said the sale was an amazing process and their service since then has been top notch! Seems like Honda could learn a thing or two from Subaru. :)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually didn't care for the styling of the Crosstrek at first, but now I really like it and will definitely age well over time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I actually didn't care for the styling of the Crosstrek at first, but now I really like it and will definitely age well over time.
It's not bad at all as far as being a cheaper subaru that still has all that you expect in a subaru inside and out.

Seeing them on the street in orange will leave you more impressed :D

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually only seen a couple in orange and they are cool looking.

It's not bad at all as far as being a cheaper subaru that still has all that you expect in a subaru inside and out.

Seeing them on the street in orange will leave you more impressed :D

1 - 20 of 958 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.