Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this is a disappointment. I could never have imagined 2 months ago posting complaints about one of my 2 favorite car companies. You will see past posts from me awaiting the HRV and finally giving up with only dim prospects of ever owning one, concerns about quality issues in the Mexico plants, and gas mileage that seem to make the CRV almost equivalent to the much smaller HRV.

So I purchased my 7th Honda - a 2015 CRV instead of the HRV. It is uncomfortable car, not sure what they did to the seats, but two hours in the front is a misery for driver and passenger alike who are squirming and hoping for a road side break. That's not why I am posting here. There is a lot not to like about the new CRV - many are pet peeves now after only 30 days of ownership. BUT, several are major quality issues.

I have posted two videos below - One on the Earthdreams CVT vibration, shake, and shudder issue - This makes me mad every time I get in the the thing, at idle it can actually make my teeth chatter - seriously! The shudder when accelerating can be like a dying whales last breath. I am extremely frustrating that Honda dealer didn't tell me about this before I purchased it, that the reviewers didn't mention it (SHAME ON YOU MOTOR TREND - SUV of the year - BULL), and that this is happening with a Honda at all - far below my expectations. ( See Hondas video and google or Youtube "2015 CRV vibration" for an endless list of Mad and upset 2015 CRV owners) . For Honda to post this video you know things are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6K6JPh7zak

And then there is the dash/Hondalink infotainment un-system. Who ever designed this mess should be shot out of cannon. Three digital displays in this thing that are essentially unrelated, don't look the same, are programmed differently, work badly, and - with respect to Hondalink are a bug fest. Human factors engineering went out the window with this vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTfoZx3Zqwc

Everyday I get a little more upset with Honda and this @#$%&@^% CRV. I can't imagine what the 2 year delayed HRV is going to be like but I can guess.

The other vehicle in our garage is a Rav4 - I made a mistake buying this, our second, CRV (I still can't believe that is possible or that this is happening) I did not understand the significance of this post regarding the made in Mexico FIT problems, reduction in Honda exec salaries, and the appointment of a new Honda Quality CSAR - I sure do now. :crying:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...recall-appoints-first-quality-czar;-top-execs

Considering an HRV made in Mexico ? RUN AWAY!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Honda quality rating

Oh
Forgot this, My opinion

Initial quality rating - 2015 CRV Earthdreams and CVT

6.5 / 10

Something has gone seriously wrong at Honda

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if new Fit's have that shaking problem with their CVT.
HRV and Fit are cars we'll be buying in next 2 years, we just got to get one car this year and second one next year.
Loos like Fit will be our first one afterall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
FIT quality issues

You may want to read the Article at the end of my first post in this thread before jumping into a FIT.
:(

I am so dissappointed and aggravated with Honda . I have owned 3 excellent civics and a CRV in the past - what went wrong ????

And Honda knows they have problems - no one is denying anything when you get on the help lines - just adding you to the list of unhappy customers.

"Honda President Takanobu Ito, who will take a 20 percent pay cut during the three-month period, appointed Koichi Fukuo as the company’s newly christened executive in charge of quality reform.

The changes come as Honda grapples with spiraling problems that have bruised its once sterling reputation for Honda President Takanobu Ito, who will take a 20 percent pay cut during the three-month period, appointed Koichi Fukuo as the company’s newly christened executive in charge of quality reform.

The changes come as Honda grapples with spiraling problems that have bruised its once sterling reputation for quality."

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been on Fit forums for over a year now, and first few had some quality problems, but most got everything resolved.
Right now seems like no one is complaining about their Fit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experiences with the CR-V. Hopefully Honda will fix the issue after a lawsuit. You could also trade-in the CR-V for the RAV4 Hybrid in a couple of months.

As to the FITs, the consensus on their boards seems to be that the quality issues have been resolved. The initial Fits did have lots of problems, but all should be fixed. Just purchase a Fit that has been recently manufactured and you "should" be good to go--save the noisy interiors and the high engine RPMs at highway cruising.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, our experience with our 2014 CRV has been completely different. Comfortable, quiet and reliable. Just add gas and oil as needed and enjoy the ride. Tons of room in the back so no issue there. Not sure why you've experienced what you have but our vehicle has been awesome!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
2014 vs 2015 CRV

Hey
They changed the engine, transmission and infotainment systems for 2015. It now has the Earthdreams (nightmares) engine and CVT transmission. My understanding to make it more fuel Efficient. Early rumours are new engine mounts to be installed and increasing RPM and changing power bands to fix vibration and shudders. Should be interesting to see how this will affect the milage numbers (very interesting if .gov gets involved) - the reason many are buying this vehicle over competitors.
Cheers

·
Registered
290 Posts
Anyone who's followed my posts on this forum knows I'm not a Honda fanboy, but I'm really shocked at your experience. The CRV is Honda's flagship, and it gets top ratings in every review. And Honda still has a pretty good rating of #5 on the JD Power rankings.

Having said that, reviewers generally get handed cars that were fully prepped and vetted, and they drive the thing for an hour and then write a glowing review. That's something to keep in mind for the HRV too - when all those reviews get released next week, remember that those HRVs were obsessively perfected before a journalist got near them.

I'm still planning to give Honda a fair shot. I'm definitely and optimistically driving the HRV. But I gave Jeep a fair shot too, and the Renegade is already in my potential-purchase trash bin.

I think the thing that's changed with Honda is... They used to have one model worldwide. And they sold every new model a year in Japan before they released it to the US. That's still kind of true with the Vezel and the HRV. But now each model is significantly different for each market. And they're made all over the place to control costs. So the fact that they ironed the bugs out of the Japanese Vezel may not mean much for the HRVs made in Celaya.

Still hoping for the best. Backup plan is a not-very-exciting 2016 Soul+.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mom just bought a 2015 CRV a few months ago. She says it vibrates a little at a stop, but it's not noticeable while driving.

I've also heard that vibration is just the nature of CVT's, and that it's not just Honda's that have this issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There's one other aspect to any possibly quality problems that bears consideration.

Any new car can have quality problems. I think a key thing is "Will the company stand behind you and try to fix it?". I haven't owned a Honda in two decades, but I get the impression from others that the answer is "yes". All you current owners can maybe shed some light on this for us?

I can tell you there are other manufactures and dealer networks where the answer is most definitely "no".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's one other aspect to any possibly quality problems that bears consideration.

Any new car can have quality problems. I think a key thing is "Will the company stand behind you and try to fix it?". I haven't owned a Honda in two decades, but I get the impression from others that the answer is "yes". All you current owners can maybe shed some light on this for us?

I can tell you there are other manufactures and dealer networks where the answer is most definitely "no".
Maybe
I have owned Honda steadily over the years - this is the first time I wondered if the vehicle was actually made by Honda.

Very sad watching the poor quality posts popping up for my Favorite car company.

I would certainly hold off a year on the HRV knowing what I know now and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to posting here, but not new to the forum... been lurking a while...

I recently, two months ago, bought a 2015 CRV EX-L, it does have a low speed vibration every now and then at particular speeds, but as noted above it's related to the CVT and not Honda specific, but since I've had it for two months, I don't even notice it anymore...

Regarding the infotainment system... give me plain old knobs back!! If you don't have the radio station you want to listen to "preset" it's very distracting to try and use...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honda quality issues

Hi, I'm new to posting here, but not new to the forum... been lurking a while...

I recently, two months ago, bought a 2015 CRV EX-L, it does have a low speed vibration every now and then at particular speeds, but as noted above it's related to the CVT and not Honda specific, but since I've had it for two months, I don't even notice it anymore...

Regarding the infotainment system... give me plain old knobs back!! If you don't have the radio station you want to listen to "preset" it's very distracting to try and use...
Hi Jane
For me it's the reverse - notice it more every time I get into it - like a stone in your shoe - a constant irritation. Any thoughts on the backup camera - my guess is that the they sourced it for the small display - when they went to the big display they should have putt in a higher resolution camera - grainy low res images are the norm - looks like a $4 aliexpress camera was pressed in to service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One dealer let me take home a crv exl for 3 days just to show me that there aren't vibration issues across the board. She said none of her customers have complained of one. With that being said, driving the crv around was pretty smooth. It took well to bumps in the road and felt so different than the 2008 honda fit sport manual I had. It wasn't until the third day I got stuck sitting at a red light multiple times and noticed some vibrations. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't exactly feel like your normal idling. It almost felt like a light massage. Anyhow, i picked up my mom & sat for less than a minute at the stop sign on her street & she felt the difference between then & the night before.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Test drove a 2015 crv 6 weeks ago, expressly to find out about the vibration issue

The vibration was terrible- and only there when the car was stopped, in Drive, with the air on but NOT THE AC

I wouldn't have noticed it but the dealer kept turning on the AC when we came to a stop. I was cold and kept turning it off.

I have since had someone tell me it is a computer issue and Honda is working on it.
I ended up getting the HRV, EX-AWD. It drives like the fit, only sturdier.
There is NOT a vibration issue. I just drove it 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have owned my HR V since the last of May. Car gets good gas milage that is all that I can say that is good about the car. It now has been in the shop at the Honda dealership since Oct 16th to have the the rear shocks replaced. I have been told by the dealership that Honda knows about the bad shocks but have not, to this date, released the shocks to dealers for repairs. This is my first Honda and it will be my last Honda. This was also verified with a telephone call that I had yesterday with Honda USA. If it stays in the shop till mid November the state AG office told me that I can use the state's lemon law and get my money back, which I will do. Even if they repair it it will be traded the same day I pick it up. I am not going to take a chance of having a major failure in this car and not being able to get it repaired in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Not much I haven't owned over the years. Honda is now my first choice. Even have their snowblower, lawnmower and trimmer. Had a couple of their motorcycles in the '60s. Unless I win the lottery its Honda for us. Even trying to brainwash my son.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts