Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start a thread for any of us new to HondaLink. So far I have one tip, one trick, and one question.

Tip:
When I initially paired my iPhone 6 Plus it (as expected) showed under the Bluetooth devices as HandsFreeLink. Now, it's "14AHU". My only guess is that I have a second HandsFreeLink which is my gf's CR-V

Trick:
In order for iPhones to get text messages on the screen, you have to:
1. Open Settings - Bluetooth
2. Tap the "i" next to your HandsFreeLink device
3. "Show Notifications" needs to be enabled.

You may have to disconnect/reconnect the Bluetooth for text messages to work.

Question:
When on the "Trip Computer" screen (which is rather cool) or Wallpaper/Clock and you use the steering wheel controls to change to the audio source or even go to the audio screen, there is no way from the steering wheel to return to the Trip Computer or wallpaper. Only the phone and audio are options. Or am I missing something? It seems you have to use the console touchscreen and tap Home, then Info.

On my gf's 2014 CR-V, she can use the steering wheel button to cycle through the Audio, Trip Computer, and Wallpaper..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that video! One more tip/trick that I just discovered. Siri wasn't working very reliably through the steering wheel control. Half the time the smartphone logo would appear on the screen, but no Siri beep. To fix that, you have to enable Siri on the iPhone lock screen.

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings, then Touch ID and Passcode
2. Under "Allow access when locked", enable Siri

As a security caveat, one should probably research what's capable with Siri in the lockscreen. But after I did this, Siri was working rather well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Hondalink iOS cable kit sells for $99. I already have the lighting cable. Any suggestions on where to buy the other components that will work just as well?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Hondalink iOS cable kit sells for $99. I already have the lighting cable. Any suggestions on where to buy the other components that will work just as well?
I guess it depends on what you want to use HondaLink for, you may be able to get away with just BlueTooth and/or a USB cable. Is it for the navigation app? That doesn't really get stellar reviews, so I'd make sure that's what you want.

Also I don't think you need the official Honda kit, i believe it's just a normal Apple HDMI output adapter..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want to use HondaLink for, you may be able to get away with just BlueTooth and/or a USB cable. Is it for the navigation app? That doesn't really get stellar reviews, so I'd make sure that's what you want.

Also I don't think you need the official Honda kit, i believe it's just a normal Apple HDMI output adapter..
I was watching the video and was curious what else I could do if I had that connection. I figure if it wasn't going to cost a lot of money for an adapter, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was an interesting tweet from Honda, when I did a search for any CarPlay hints. Since the HR-V is a 2016, I'm hoping it's included:

https://twitter.com/Honda/status/601434264371109888

Who knows what "soon" is, but since CarPlay only requires the USB/lightning cable, it might be worth holding off any HondaLink stuff unless there's something really necessary. I use the little space near the USB/HDMI ports to store my sunglasses, and I'd imagine adding the HDMI cable and other stuff would get rather messy..

·
Registered
10 Posts
This was an interesting tweet from Honda, when I did a search for any CarPlay hints. Since the HR-V is a 2016, I'm hoping it's included:

https://twitter.com/Honda/status/601434264371109888

Who knows what "soon" is, but since CarPlay only requires the USB/lightning cable, it might be worth holding off any HondaLink stuff unless there's something really necessary. I use the little space near the USB/HDMI ports to store my sunglasses, and I'd imagine adding the HDMI cable and other stuff would get rather messy..
Good point. My curiosity can wait. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
"Select"....probably means NOT ALREADY RELEASED...as in not the HRV. What the heck else could "select 2016 models" mean???
Interesting find... thanks galvanization for posting!

He also says "will not be backwards compatible on Honda models", which also could mean no retrofit to delivered HRVs. On the other hand, if the original question was about an older car, he could just mean that.

I don't have a twitter account, and don't see the tweet he was responding to... anyone else?

I can always hope that it's available on the HR-V by the time it's released here in July...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it would be ridiculous to not have it on the HR-V, especially since they said (and now apparently abandoned) it on the 2014, and beta tested it on the 2015 CR-V.

"Select" might just mean you need the 7" touchscreen, so not the LX. I hope!

·
Registered
484 Posts
"select 2016 models"

How much more clear can this be?
If it is not ALREADY on a 2016 model, it will not be...already released 2016 models will not have it. Pretty simple. It will not be on ANY 2016 HRV (that's a Honda model) because it is not already on it. A new HRV manufactured in Mexico next month will not have it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm just trying to be optimistic, as it could be a firmware update, akin to how they beta tested on the 2015s. At the same time you could be right, the current gen of HondaLink may not be up to the task, and revamped for the other 2016s.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I remember the 'firmware update' on the Fit that they promised by...Nov 2014 I think...that became vaporware, Honda gave up on that and ended up pulling it from their site. They have a bad recent track record so if they even suggested it as a possibility on this upcoming announcement....BUYER BE (vapor)WARE!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
"select 2016 models"

How much more clear can this be?
If it is not ALREADY on a 2016 model, it will not be...already released 2016 models will not have it. Pretty simple. It will not be on ANY 2016 HRV (that's a Honda model) because it is not already on it. A new HRV manufactured in Mexico next month will not have it.
You are most likely right; I suspect it'll appear on the Pilot and possibly the Civic first. But the term "select 2016 models" is completely ambiguous; to me the only clear implication is that it won't appear on every model across the board.

I don't really expect it to be available on the HR-V, but I don't agree that the wording of this tweet completely eliminates that possibility. And it is only a single tweet, after all.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts