Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Surprised also. I have been very pleased. Now if this report was on the Subaru Forester I would understand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the video.

Those women drive too fast and the paint blew off!!

But really the chemist is right, and Honda did lousy paintwork.

And it is typical of Honda to weasel around and not accept responsibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Honda HRV and the paint is seriously peeling off.

Paint guy told me it was a defective paint job by Honda.

I expect a class action lawsuit and will be first to sign up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Does anyone else have issues with the paint peeling on their HRV? This was our first Honda, and we are so disappointed. It is sad that the paint job on our 2008 Yaris is in better condition.

HRV Paint.jpg

·
Registered
415 Posts
There are several threads about peeling paint issues. Use the Search feature and search terms “peeling paint”. You’ll get a list of prior threads to click on and read. (your problem has arisen with other white cars in particular). I have a white 2017 EX and I haven’t seen any paint defects or problems. I hope you can get a solution for your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems like the White Orchid Pearl color was used on previous model years but they have changed the paint's name to the Platinum White Pearl color for Current (2019) model year.

So, did they change just the name, change the paint itself, application process or nothing at all. Anybody have information on this?

This is a serious defect and sure hope those affected get proper restitution.

·
Registered
860 Posts
White Orchid Pearl is not universally bad. I've had my HRV for just shy of 4 years and the paint hasn't shown any signs of the issue. Perhaps something changed in the plant after the flood?

·
Registered
535 Posts
So far my 2017 has shown no signs of the white paint issue either. Hoping it stays that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got my letter from Honda saying any White Orchid peeling paint will be fixed for free. Mine has a small area peeling over the rear passenger door.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've mentioned in the past that my paint was peeling on the roof of my rear door. Now, it's starting to crack/paint on my doors. Has anyone actually taken in their HRV for paint repair under warranty? My guess is that they only repaint the affected parts. What worries me is that the paint will fail in the unpainted parts after the warranty is over.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you can live with it, have it repainted just before you sell it but within the warranty.

I have black, but I'd definitely be sharing your concern!

·
Registered
860 Posts
The challenge with repainting any of our White Orchid Pearl cars, and I know this from personal experience, is matching the paint. My car was rear ended and they replaced the rear hatch. The first time they presented the car to me it was as if they didn't know what color to paint it. It was that off. This is a multi-step ocess. There is the primer, the white base coat, the pearl, and then the clear coat over the top. If they only repaint the chipped areas they are going to have to blend a significant portion of the car, which will never look right. Even now I can tell the difference between what was painted, and what wasn't. The car had <10K miles on it, and was under a year old. But, just sitting in the sun for that long made it extremely challenging to match and blend. I still see a difference between the hatch, spoiler, and rear quarter panels.

Bottom line, get it done when it makes sense, but also be VERY vigilant when inspecting it when you pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a multi-step ocess. There is the primer, the white base coat, the pearl, and then the clear coat over the top. If they only repaint the chipped areas they are going to have to blend a significant portion of the car, which will never look right.
I don't think they'll ever just paint the chipped areas. I'm pretty sure they paint the entire panel, ie door, hood, roof, etc. What I meant was, if they paint the doors in this specific situation, who's to say that the hood or roof or any other part that isn't repainted under warranty won't begin to crack after the warranty expires. I wish Honda would've extended the warranty longer than just 7 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a blue 2016 HR-V and the paint is coming off both rear doors by the window molding. I see they have issues with the white ones. This is my 3rd blue Honda, first 2 were civics. Both had paint problems. Anyone else have issues with blue hr ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
We’ve been waiting for months for Honda to reply about the warranty on the paint. Meanwhile the chipping is just getting worse and worse on my 2017 HRV

1 - 20 of 49 Posts