Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just got my letter from Honda saying any White Orchid peeling paint will be fixed for free. Mine has a small area peeling over the rear passenger door.
I got the letter as well. I have a White Orchid Pearl, build date May 2016. No issues as of yet (knock on wood). The car hasn't had much sun exposure though. Parked in a garage at home and a parking garage at work. Only time it's in the sun is while I'm driving or at a store. I've waxed it once in the last 4 years and it gets pushed through a car wash tunnel once every month or so.

·
Registered
440 Posts
About to go in next week for mine. Sigh...i owned a taffeta white Honda/Acura for over 10 years. It looked new when traded in. I take care of my cars almost religiously. I was simply spraying off the car wash soap when it just chipped. Thought I had gotten some leaf on it or something cause I was it was dark color but when I went to rub it, the paint just came off.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
About to go in next week for mine. Sigh...i owned a taffeta white Honda/Acura for over 10 years. It looked new when traded in. I take care of my cars almost religiously. I was simply spraying off the car wash soap when it just chipped. Thought I had gotten some leaf on it or something cause I was it was dark color but when I went to rub it, the paint just came off.
Mind posting some pics? I have a baseball sized chunk of paint missing from my roof and wrinkled paint on 2 doors that is ready to fall off. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There is no latest. People have the issue and they go in. I think most people with the pearl white color got the warranty extension letter. My car isn’t even paid off in full. We’ll see how the trip to the dealer goes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am not super active on this forum since I got my 1.5t civic. But I remember when I just got it you were pretty active on this forum. Especially I vaguely remember that one thread about the iron on the paint or something. So you take care of your car pretty well. At least exterior wise.

Damn, that looks horrible. =(

super disappointed. Honestly, the moment it happen, I was going to part out and get rid of it and get a new car. But with the way the economy is, and also the way the country is...don’t know about it. I don’t want to go buy a new car only to barely drive it. and because of the virus, the HRV is currently barely driven. I only have 29k miles in nearly 5 years. Maybe in 2021 definitely will get rid of the car. But also it will be paid off in 2021. Don’t want to have no car pymt and then restart again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My cousin’s blue odyssey had this paint chip problem. It looked awful. But it was also like a 8/9 year old car.

They barely washed the car once a year and didn’t take care of the paint. So it wasn’t unexpected that crap like that happened. I wax my cars over 4 times a year.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Went in today. Seems preliminary. They are well aware of the problem and had experience handling it. Probably a case has been created and it was forwarded to Honda corporate for review and approval. It’s been 1 day and I never expected it to be fixed immediately. If this drags on for months, I would not be happy.

on another note, they said my condenser failed for the a/c. This is my 11th Honda and they have ALL been flawless. My oldest one was an RSX that had PERFECT original paint over 13 years old and 130k miles. It performed as well as possible with the bare minimal maint that I basically did all by myself. Never had the ac fixed once and the paint like I said was better than new. The only thing out of the ordinary that I did was repaint the wheel well area myself and added some under-coating. Winters in NJ suck and I wasn’t too beat up about spending the $10/15 for 2 cans of coating.

I am hugely disappointed in the ac failing this early. My HRV has 29k miles but is out of the 3 year window. I would definitely not think twice about getting the extended warranty. I have refused it profusely multiple times to the point where the guy offered it from thousands of dollars to $100 for several years. I wasn’t going to pay a single dollar for warranty. But this along with the problems I have with my 1.5t civic changed my mind. I tend to and want to hold onto my cars for a long time. I still plan to hold onto the HRV, but I highly doubt it will be past another year. Once things are more normal in the world and driving is more normal, I won’t hesitate to get a new car immediately. I just find it stupid to buy a new car now after having to pay for these repairs and then not being able to drive much anyways. I don’t want it to sit new and not driven.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Update? I have been meaning to call for a few weeks and honestly with work being busy, just lost sight of it. I thought it was 1 month, but it’s been nearly 2 months. I gave them a call today for an update and it doesn’t seem like anything was done.
I was promised a response which I also didn’t get today. I think another 1 or 2 weeks, I will finally get this rolling and have the car fixed.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm in the LA area so I called the dealer to ask if I can just walk in or if an appointment was needed. I mentioned the paint peeling and the extended warranty and was instructed to go to a specific paint shop instead of going to the dealer. At the paint shop, they took pictures and wrote down my information and told me to contact the dealer in about 3-4 weeks. 4 weeks later, when I contacted the dealer, i was told that they didn't have a case number for me and that I was supposed to go to the dealer first. I haven't had time to go to the dealer lately but I should have time in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Update. I am scheduled to get this fixed in the next 10 days or so. Paint work should take no more than 3 days. The rest of this week is gone but I should have dropped off the car by next week if nothing else comes up.

once it is fixed, I am likely to move on and trade it in. I have a lot of equity in the car, my loan balance is pretty low and my car is right up under 50 miles until 30k.

Cars I am looking at XC40, UX hybrid, rav4 TRD, passport.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Update. I am scheduled to get this fixed in the next 10 days or so. Paint work should take no more than 3 days. The rest of this week is gone but I should have dropped off the car by next week if nothing else comes up.
I will tell you that matching the white pearl paint is a real chore. Within the first year of ownership my HRV was hit on the highway from behind while moving at 45mph or so. The shop had to replace the rear hatch. Just one year into ownership they had a heck of a time matching that white pearl paint. Make sure when you pick it up you do so in the middle of the day and check the color against other body panels. Mine still isn't quite right. The white pearl is a 3 step process.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just a heads up - I had some body damage repaired by the dealer- and they got a lot of compound and polish into the sunroof drain somehow
- that caused it to clog and i had water in my spare tire well after a while.Glad i caught it early
I had to pour hot water into the track to flush the "compound slush" out - they were very very sloppy.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I just dropped mine off at the dealer this morning. They somehow forgot to call me a few weeks ago to tell me that the work was approved by Honda.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts