Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
You're not going to like this but the only permanent way to save that vehicle will be to remove ALL the old paint.
Something in the old paint failed: prep, primer, base coat, etc.

That means everything painted is suspect. Unless the body shop removes all the old paint, which means paint remover which means full vehicle disassembly.

Highly unlikely Honda will pay a body shop to do this. They will scuff it down, tape it off and spray.

Unfortunately, selling your HRV after getting it repainted would be recommended.

Good luck either way...

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You're not going to like this but the only permanent way to save that vehicle will be to remove ALL the old paint.
Something in the old paint failed: prep, primer, base coat, etc.

That means everything painted is suspect. Unless the body shop removes all the old paint, which means paint remover which means full vehicle disassembly.

Highly unlikely Honda will pay a body shop to do this. They will scuff it down, tape it off and spray.

Unfortunately, selling your HRV after getting it repainted would be recommended.

Good luck either way...
The TSB instructs the body shop to sand down the to E-coat or bare metal if the E-coat was comprimised. I hope they follow the TSB. I'm gonna ask about warranty on the new paint when I pick it up.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The "all affected areas" part would scare me. If it fails in one spot and they repair that, what happens when the next body panel fails 6 months later?

I'd for sure be selling after the first repair is done, seems like a time bomb to me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
My car was just dropped off today. The spot did “double” from 2 months ago. But it’s still ridiculously small compared to others. It’s just below the rear door window. About 4-5 inch horizontal length. But no longer than 2in vertical length though.

And yes I am well aware of this happening more than once or to another spots. I can’t go trading in a car with a spot of paint missing. This is why I have to fix it before moving on.

Between my paint, the start button, and the transmission. It’s just too much that shouldn’t go wrong. This isn’t my first car with a CVT, and it’s inexcusable that it’s an issue. I didn’t have the transmission problem, but I don’t want to deal with it if it ever did happen. I never had the start button issue either but I don’t doubt it will show up eventually. My ac failing also did not help.
I have a lot of really good memories with the car but also a lot of bad ones(not always the car’s fault). So keeping it was not an option for me really. I really had to move on. I still own 2 Hondas and will absolutely continue to buy them. But I would not recommend a used HRV.

One thing is I washed this car pretty religiously. And this ONLY occurred with a pressure washer at a friend’s house. The “pressure” wash at coin car washes are “strong” but not as strong as this home one my friend has..so my recommendation is DO NOT USE pressure washer. A regular garden hose is fine...

·
Super Moderator
1,672 Posts
Pressure washing is fine as long as the right tip is used. I have been using it to wash my cars. Your car has defective paint. It would peel soon or later. The pressure washer found the defect sooner.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don’t disagree that there is an inherent flaw in the paint. And I do continue to use this exact same pressure washer on my other Honda cars at my friend’s house. But knowing the paint flaws in an HRV. Regardless if it is not white, which appears to be the main warranty color, I just have zero confidence in the paint on this platform. I would absolutely not use a pressure washer again on an HRV of any color. Although the coin car washes (which has been used by me going on 4+ years) has a “pressure” nozzle, is fine. Anything that can be more powerful on a home system, I definitely would stay away from.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Getting a written warranty would be excellent.
Hopefully at least 2 years, with "paint adhesion" written specifically in the warranty.

I don't know of any other paint issues on this HRV forum other than white. I don't see any reason to extrapolate the HRV white paint issue to all other HRV paint colors.

I hate pressure washers and never use them on anything I value.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Was told my car will be done by next week. Don’t really think their word is worth much at this point but it’s all I have to go on. Apparently, even though I only have this issue on 1 door section. They will attempt to “test” and see if the other 3 doors could have this same problem. Again, I don’t really hold their word at a high value. It’s just what I have been told. Considering the point where the actual issue is extremely minimal. Anything longer than a week for this fix would be ridiculous.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts