Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I did the swap using PIAA sports horns a few weeks ago... I bought the same horns I bought previously for a Nissan Patherfinder, but later moved to split between a Honda Fit and Honda Ruckus. Sure, I could've taken the horns off the Fit and Ruckus... but I still intend to use the Fit and Ruckus, plus I cut the splash "shield" from the horn when I installed it on the Ruckus.

It came with ground wires which were quite lengthy, so I just twirled it around the back where the bracket mounts. I also ordered some adapter wires from Amazon... you can find the same thing from College Hills Honda (both adapter plus ground wires)...

The driver side was a bit of narrow reach, but easier than the passenger side. I took out one pin and one screw along the fender, then two more pins holding the fender to the underside. At that point, I pulled the fender away and reached in through there. Now that was a tight squeeze since I didn't jack it up and only turned the front wheels to the other side... and annoying as hell trying to ratchet the old one out and then new one in.

I guess my time blindly doing PC parts repair influenced this... I mean literally, there are times I had to plug in things in the PC where I couldn't see a thing and had to rely on "this thing feels about right." >.<

I'm sure that your PIAA horns are way better than the used Accord horns I used but US$3.75 is my preferred price range!

The drivers side horn is easy to swap. For the passenger side, I accessed it from underneath.
3 push pins, pulled the plastic flap down and it was easy.
As I mentioned, these push pins were unique and all 3 broke which I had to replace.

These minor upgrades are trivial, but once you start addressing all the weak points of a vehicle, it becomes a much better overall vehicle.
Some call it getting the "cheapness" out of a vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2019?

College Hills Honda said their upgrade horns would fit the 2019 although they haven't changed the description to show that.

I ordered horns for both our 2017 CR-V and 2019 HR-V. CR-V was easy, then I read up on the HR-V install which looks more challenging. However, all the posts I found here were done on years prior to 2019.

Thanks...
Horns are pretty universal. Most any 12V horn can be made to work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Horns are pretty universal. Most any 12V horn can be made to work.
I had asked because College Hills didn't list them for the 2019 at the time, and I had upgraded horns on our '17 CR-V for which horn size and fit were important. In comparison the HR-V has much more room where the horns are, once I got into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here a link to the Collegehills wiring adapter kit I used (page 3) and the horn kit (page 1) for anyone interested in a plug and play set up.

2016-2018 Honda HR-V Aftermarket Accessories

And the Stebel air horn, they make a compact truck air hon too :) but it was too big to fit in the HRV's left horn location.

Amazon.com: Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black: Automotive
Hey thanks I been looking myself for something a little more beefy sound you mentioned about getting wire adapter for the new ones were can I get that cause yr right the horn wires are like floss string lol I appreciate were to get them are they from college hill to I never delt with them yet I got 18 hrv exl ,hey I got another question since you know alot more then me i had a completely different question i saw aftermarket lights the round driving lights on lower front the ones iam interested in are the same frame around that light has led n fog bulbs in frame with plug my question is were do you plug new lights in do you know if they have these extra plugs tucked away somewhere they say fit exactly but there no mention were these plug into I really like but didn't want to buy them and there has to plug into factory plug cause how change from white to fog idk I would greatly appreciate any help from you since you are so knowledgeable about Hrv's ,David

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
542 Posts
Zip tie it to the grille?

Or go to Home Depot/Lowes/etc and buy some flat slotted steel/aluminum rods, bend them into shape them so the top mounts to where the radiator mounts and the horn sits behind the grille...?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I took a hard look yesterday. I think there is enough room above the radiator on the cross member at the front of the car. Other than that, I can't see a space to wedge an 18" long, 4" high, horn into the engine bay. The horn comes with some mounting hardware, just not sure if it would provide enough metal to hold it in place.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts