Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 HR-V LX Modern Steel Metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I posted about changing my steering wheel. I ordered a leather wheel from Impex and installed it last week.

The first time I turned the wheel the next morning, I heard a plastic cracking noise that stopped right away. I assumed that a piece of the plastic trim was misaligned and had snapped back into place.

I've driven short distances since then, but today was the first day I was on the freeway, and I noticed that the steering wheel was misaligned, and also that there was a definite pull to the left.

I pulled the wheel again today, and it was in fact one tooth off center, so I fixed that. The wheel is straight now, and the pull to the left seems to have diminished.

But while I was in there, I figured out what I heard crack. Somehow I broke the aligning pin that pokes into a hole in the steering wheel. So now instead of that pin pulling the clock spring around, it's basically pulling on the wire harness assembly at the top.

The car is a lease with only 2700 miles. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because clearly I broke it myself so I'm sure they won't cover it.

Is this something I really need to worry about? Or can I replace just the plastic face plate without replacing the entire clock spring assembly? I would have no idea how to do that myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you messing with a leased vehicle?
I intend to buy it out at the end of the lease. I know that's not the most cost effective option, but when I got it I needed the absolute lowest monthly payment. So basically it will be sort of like an 8 year car loan.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
502 Posts
I intend to buy it out at the end of the lease. I know that's not the most cost effective option, but when I got it I needed the absolute lowest monthly payment. So basically it will be sort of like an 8 year car loan.
I've seen people refrain from modifying cars they have on actual loans, which is something I can understand. So that makes messing with a leased vehicle, even if you say you plan on buying it out... a bad idea to me.

Things can change.

Anyway, I've said my piece on that.

Is it this one: 77900-T5R-A12 - Honda Parts Now

Personally, I'd just buy that part and put it in, hoping not to break anything else in the process.

Seeing as it fits a wide range of models and model years, you could try sourcing one from a junk yard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen people refrain from modifying cars they have on actual loans, which is something I can understand. So that makes messing with a leased vehicle, even if you say you plan on buying it out... a bad idea to me.

Things can change.

Anyway, I've said my piece on that.

Is it this one: 77900-T5R-A12 - Honda Parts Now

Personally, I'd just buy that part and put it in, hoping not to break anything else in the process.

Seeing as it fits a wide range of models and model years, you could try sourcing one from a junk yard.
That’s very helpful, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts