Honda HR-V Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title explains it all. I have an autotragic 2022 EX. I had no choice but to acquire a new car, wanted the HR-V, but none in manual available at the end of 2021 at the peak of covid scarcity when I got mine. I literally had bought this one before it even was off the truck.

I want a stick. What are the implications of locating a gently used 6-Speed manual transmission out of an earlier year? Conversion/machining requirements for the engine adaptation, etc?

Is it a suicidal endevour?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Title explains it all. I have an autotragic 2022 EX. I had no choice but to acquire a new car, wanted the HR-V, but none in manual available at the end of 2021 at the peak of covid scarcity when I got mine. I literally had bought this one before it even was off the truck.

I want a stick. What are the implications of locating a gently used 6-Speed manual transmission out of an earlier year? Conversion/machining requirements for the engine adaptation, etc?

Is it a suicidal endevour?

Thanks for the feedback.
2018 was last year for a manual. Maybe you can find a good used one, but the prices are sky high. The CVTs were inconsistent quality until '21.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its very doable if you have the time and knowledge or the money to have a shop do it for you.
as far as parts go you would need the list below, I may be missing some items, however if you find a crashed parts car you may be able to get everything from that and sell the rest to recoup some costs. To be honest though, it would be much better for you to find the right car with the 6 speed already to avoid the trouble.
  1. Transmission
  2. Clutch kit with pressure plate and throw-out bearing
  3. flywheel
  4. new main crank seal (while you're in there)
  5. Transmission axel seals (while you're in there)
  6. Transmission shift cables
  7. shifter mechanism
  8. Axels (possible to reuse the ones form the auto trans but i doubt it)
  9. possible different transmission mount which may require modification or special mount
  10. 6 speed ECU
  11. ECU programing may be required
  12. Clutch pedal assembly
  13. Clutch slave and master cylinder
  14. Gauge cluster
  15. Transmission, and hydraulic fluid

·
Registered
725 Posts
The question is not how to convert a 2022 CVT HRV to a 6 speed manual trans.

The question is how are you going to convert the 2022 CVT HRV ECU to support a 6 speed manual trans.

Assuming front wheel drive HRV's, since a manual trans HRV was never available with AWD.

There is no such thing as a 2022 HRV manual trans ECU.
No one has cracked a 2022 HRV ECU to reprogram it for a manual trans.
Is a 2016-2018 manual trans ECU even remotely able to be swapped in to a 2022 HRV?
What about harness modifications to support a manual trans in a CVT trans HRV.

The mechanical swap can definitely be done. Cut, fab, weld, etc, etc.
Could even swap the front cradle from a 2016-2018 manual trans HRV into a 2022 CVT HRV if needed.
Could even cut/fab/weld the firewall to add a clutch master cylinder and manual trans pedal assembly.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
346 Posts
To be honest though, it would be much better for you to find the right car with the 6 speed already to avoid the trouble.
And the possibility of ongoing headaches down the track. (pun unintended)

If you have to cut and weld parts to get it to a usable state, do you have to then get the car certified by an Approved Person to inspect and certify your vehicle modifications, like we do in Australia before it can be registered and insured?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I have waited for someone else to post my feelings here, but nobody has.

I quite enjoy the CVT in my 2022 EX. It reminds me of my moped - I get on the onramp and gas it, and it just sits at 5k rpm, pulling and pulling until I reach 75 and set the cruise control. You have paddle shifters that work just right when you shift the stick into Sport mode. You don't need a manual transmission. Why even bother? As stated above, there is no ECU for a 2022 manual tranny. How about you drive the thing for a couple of months?

I chose the 2022 2WD because of the extra cargo space and gas mileage. I get 35 on the hwy and 29.6 overall, just as advertised.The thing has a 1.4 straight 4, how much more fun would you have with an actual stick shift? You knew it would never blow doors on a 2.0 Civic. It drives like a little go kart, and the ground clearance and suspension let me take speed bumps with ease. I just had my 6-month maintenance and everything is in perfect spec. I have fun driving it, and my 52-mile daily round trip is as economical as it can be for a gas engine.

The CVT for 2022 is as good as it gets, not sure where you get any negative reports about it. Regardless, the drivetrain warranty should allay your fears of it being "autotragic". Enjoy the kickass vehicle you have, or go for an older manual if you think that will improve your driving enjoyment that much. My educated guess is that it will not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.