Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could someone please elaborate on the quality of audio system and how it sounds?
Do you feel any good bass, clarity, mids/highs etc with a proper quality music?
Can you adjust any settings?

Also I wonder on the EX/-L vs LX trims; is there perceivable difference based on the +20watts and +2 speakers of the ex/-l trim.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would characterize the EX/EX-L audio as being better than average. Like maybe a B- rating. To me the real inadequacy is the lack of a graphic multi-band equalizer - it only has a simple Treble and Bass adjustments.

While the car seems to have decent stereo imaging and good crispy high-end, the low-mids (like the low end from guitars in rock music) seem a little muddy to me and there's not really any way to adjust that specifically without losing other low frequencies.

I would bet adding a sub-woofer would go a long way in this car, as it would let you turn down the Bass setting to clear-up some of the mud while letting the sub handle the real low end punch like from kick drums and such. And of course a little extra sound dampening would be great too.

I did test drive the LX but failed to turn on the audio. :\ But all in all I'm pretty satisfied with the sound quality in my EX-L, even pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not a sound head but I did play the HD radio in 3 of the EX-Ls I've driven. Decent sound, but nothing to get excited about.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So much better after installing a underseat subwoofer. MB Quart MBPS 8152.
Would agree on this point, There is no bass feel to the vehicle (I have EX) and am looking to add one of these under seats to it as well for the added "umpf".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok many thanks - i will look into the underseat option of a sub then - as long as it does not take any useful space.
i feel spoiled with the sound in my VW GTI - it is quite good for me, so if HRV is below that i will have to mod the HRV somehow...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wouldn't the sub under the seat be slightly uncomfortable? I would assume you would feel it much more than the rest of the passengers in the vehicle ? Don't think that's a good thing.

By the way, so glad someone finally started this audio thread. Not many people in here seem to care about the sound system and lack of quality. Really disappointed they didn't "upp" the sound for the EX-L trim. Most likely will have to replace all the speakers to clean up that mid range gap.

Someone needs to make one for the trunk cutouts at the end by the wheels. I think there is enough space to fill in that gap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Suppose to fix under front passenger seat but switch to driver's side due to space constraint. I'm very happy with this subwoofer. Uncomfortable with bass massaging my butt? Not at all, it's very subtle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The sound in my EX is surprisingly good. I came from a 15 WRX that I spent 1300 to have the dealer install a full kicker upgrade option after I couldn't take the bad factory speakers. Minus the bass that gave me due to a trunk sub, I still think this HRV sounds better.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Suppose to fix under front passenger seat but switch to driver's side due to space constraint. I'm very happy with this subwoofer. Uncomfortable with bass massaging my butt? Not at all, it's very subtle.

How did you adjust crossover points within the stock radio ? or did you just wing it and play with the settings on the sub alone until it sounded decent?

Also this sub is discontinued. Where would I be able to get one or do you have a recommendation for another one?

·
Registered
185 Posts
How did you adjust crossover points within the stock radio ? or did you just wing it and play with the settings on the sub alone until it sounded decent?

Also this sub is discontinued. Where would I be able to get one or do you have a recommendation for another one?
Google.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts