Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many HRV owners have made it to 100k plus with no CVT issues, I plan on changing the CVT fluid every 20k so I hope this will help it last.. I would like to get 250k plus outta the CVT is possible.. I drive a 50/50 mix of city and highway..

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can’t comment on reliability as my hrv only has 2600 miles on it but I do want to add that I’ve noticed that a ton of people on here have issues with leaks on their cvt so I would be careful to watch for that.
As long as you use oem fluid with the intervals you listed you should be fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea mine has just under 2k.. CVT trans has been around for awhile now, they should have most issues worked out by now.. most automakers are using CVT in 4cyl, Volkswagen I believe just introduced CVT with a 6cyl..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very true, I also see a lot of 1996-2000 Honda Civic hx(one of Honda’s first cvt) that are well into the 200k mile range locally for sale in running condition so I don’t imagine that we’ll be too unlucky

·
Registered
10 Posts
My HR-V only has 27k on it, but I know someone who has an HR-V with 80,000 and he hasn't had any issues so far and is still loving it. I know that's not quite 100k but it's not too far off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had over 150K on my 02 Insight CVT with no problems what so ever. I don't expect any problems with my current HRV CVT with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think my wife's 2018 HRV has 20 000 km on it and the CVT has been fine.

Nothing wrong with fluid changes but there are no "miracle oils" that can make up for bad design or cheesy metallurgy.

All we can do is hope that the development engineers had the mandate to make a good product rather than an "affordable" product.

In my own 30 y development career, I spent the first 20 y putting quality in and the last 10 y taking quality out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just changed CVT oil last October at 49000 km. Presently on my 7th trip to Florida from Montreal, with 10+ hours of driving daily. Not one hiccup, and the smoothest transmission I have ever driven in nearly 50 years of car ownership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2016 HRV with 150k miles, CVT transmission. Transmission #1 experienced total failure at 108k miles (with all routine maintenance and transmission fluid changes done on time and/or early - before FearTurtle asks - bec that is his favorite question when someone reports a transmission failure).

Transmission #2 failed 11k miles later at roughly 119k miles. Obviously no fluid changes done on tranny #2 bec - well, 11k miles.

Never towed anything or done any crazy driving that would stress the transmission. Just normal, mostly highway miles.

Currently on transmission #3. It has 31k miles and is about to go in for a fluid change (even though the MM does not ask for it bec I change my fluids before they are due based on mileage, not the MM).

Maybe I got a crappy transmission (twice) or maybe there are engineering issues on the 2016 HRV CVT. Either way, three transmissions in a 4 yr old car is a bit much. Hope your results are better.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
2016 HRV with 150k miles, CVT transmission. Transmission #1 experienced total failure at 108k miles (with all routine maintenance and transmission fluid changes done on time and/or early - before FearTurtle asks - bec that is his favorite question when someone reports a transmission failure).

I ask because I would like to know the mileage of the CVT fluid changes and if the MM ever showed up. I will ask again. On your engine failure #1, at what mileage did you have your CVT fluid change(s) and did your MM ever show up? Some folks are never getting the MM and waiting until 60k or after for CVT change. So “on time and/or early” is relative. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Transmission service was performed twice on transmission #1 prior to failure at 108k miles. First around 45,000 miles and again at 87,000 miles. (Before the MM recommended it and also within the current guidelines now published by Honda.) Transmission #2 only made it about 11k miles before it failed. Transmission #3 has about 34k miles on it.

Fun fact: The 2016 HRV doesn't have actual mileage listed for recommended maintance in the Owner's Manual. It tells Owners to follow the MM, unless they drive in the mountains regularly or tow a trailer, then it recommends changing the transmission fluid at @ 25,000 miles. Other than that, there is no actual mileage recommendation for transmission fluid changes. Now, Honda is recommending transmission fluid change every 30k-50k on the newer models. Hmmm, I wonder why? 🤷‍♀️

The only reason I had mine done independent of the MM recommendation is because I was raised in a family of mechanics, machinists, and engineers. Most owners are going to follow the guidance on the manual and wait for the MM, which seems to kick on around 60k for transmission fluid replacement. It also doesn't kick on for an oil change until @ 9,000 miles, which is way too long IMO.

Regardless, metal shavings in transmissions with 60-80k, as is being reported, is ridiculous. I had over 300,000 miles on my 2004 dodge stratus when I sold it, on the original transmission, which NEVER had the fluid changed because it was a closed system. 3000,000 miles - no fluid change - no metal shavings. Because dodge didn't use sub par metal in their stratus transmissions. Honda has been cutting corners on quality and it is going to bite them in the butt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quite troubling to have 2 CVT transmissions go for you. The second one in very short order. I hope whoever did the install warrantied it for you. Was it the Honda dealer? Changing the fluid every 30,000 miles is not a bad idea at all. All transmissions will have some metal in the fluid from wear, that's normal.

Wow you are lucky to have a Chrysler product go 300,000 miles. The fact you never had the transmission fluid changed makes you even luckier. You can bet there was metal in that fluid. Someone sold you a bill of goods when they told you it was a sealed system. They just didn't want to do the job.

Honda uses CVT transmissions in most of its cars. If the CVT was trouble in all of them they'd sure change to a conventional torque converter automatic. I'm sorry that happened to your HRV, but I think your experience wasn't a normal one.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quite troubling to have 2 CVT transmissions go for you. The second one in very short order. I hope whoever did the install warrantied it for you. Was it the Honda dealer? Changing the fluid every 30,000 miles is not a bad idea at all. All transmissions will have some metal in the fluid from wear, that's normal.

Wow you are lucky to have a Chrysler product go 300,000 miles. The fact you never had the transmission fluid changed makes you even luckier. You can bet there was metal in that fluid. Someone sold you a bill of goods when they told you it was a sealed system. They just didn't want to do the job.

Honda uses CVT transmissions in most of its cars. If the CVT was trouble in all of them they'd sure change to a conventional torque converter automatic. I'm sorry that happened to your HRV, but I think your experience wasn't a normal one.
The CVT does use a torque converter- just uses the belt/pullies instead of stepped gears.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2016 HR-V. I’m at 103k. I have never had an issue, but with that being said I’m weird about my cars maintenance or lack of.
I do absolutely nothing to mine. Oil change every 12k or so, 2 sets of wipers, 1 set of tires at 75k (never rotate them), new battery at 80k, cleaned the push button start connector 90k, replaced original brakes and rotors at 101k, and maybe 3 sets of headlight bulbs.
I feel confident I can get another 100k with ease. The only real issue I had was getting hit in the passenger rear tire. It cracked the wheel speed sensor and messed up the ball bearing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts