Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I destroyed the side wall of one of my michelin primacy mxv4 tires that came with my 2017 hrv --- the car has 40k but the other tires still had more than 50% left... my mechanic said he heard you should replace 4 tires at the same time on an awd cause you can destroy the computer system- the dealership said you can replace one -- the manual said you should replace 4 but you can get away with two -- I decided to go with replacing 2 and an alignment-- does anyone have experience with this situation?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You should at least replace 2. 2 front or 2 rear. Or rotate. 40k is a decent amount of miles. I don’t foresee the stock ones really lasting more than 50/60k miles. Tires are the only part of your car that touches the road 100% of the time. They are NOT something to cheap out on...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I destroyed the side wall of one of my michelin primacy mxv4 tires that came with my 2017 hrv --- the car has 40k but the other tires still had more than 50% left... my mechanic said he heard you should replace 4 tires at the same time on an awd cause you can destroy the computer system- the dealership said you can replace one -- the manual said you should replace 4 but you can get away with two -- I decided to go with replacing 2 and an alignment-- does anyone have experience with this situation?
At 40K miles I would have just replaced all 4 tires. Keep in mind that the last 50% of a tire's life is not equivalent to the first 50%. Now you are in a situation where at 50-60K miles you again just need to replace 2 tires. Best to periodically rotate to even out the wear so when it comes time for new tires you just buy 4.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you don't want to replace all four, what I would do (and have done) is to pair the new tire with the best of the remaining three and put those on the rear, and start a new rotation pattern from there. Replacing only one tire will not wreck your computer system. As with any tire adjustment be sure to recalibrate the tire pressure monitor system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had sidewall damage and replaced one - then 6 months later another incident and replaced another tire - went 2 more years - so basically 2 original tires, and 2 replacements 6 months apart - over the course of 4 years.
did not have any issues over that time- and if any long term issues with the AWD occur .... then that's that.
I would suggest to put the orignal tires on the same "axle" ( both fronts, or both rear ) if you can, and newer tires on the fronts would be wisest.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had sidewall damage and replaced one - then 6 months later another incident and replaced another tire - went 2 more years - so basically 2 original tires, and 2 replacements 6 months apart - over the course of 4 years.
did not have any issues over that time- and if any long term issues with the AWD occur .... then that's that.
I would suggest to put the orignal tires on the same "axle" ( both fronts, or both rear ) if you can, and newer tires on the fronts would be wisest.

·
Registered
221 Posts
IMO, you should at a minimum replace tires in pairs.

As for replacing all 4 for an AWD or 4x4 car, truck or SUV. IMO, the deciding factor is the type of AWD or 4wd system.
And I think the tire shop technicians want to sell 4 tires and they are erring on the side of caution.

For 4wd trucks, with locking rear and possibly front differentials, plus a locking transfer case, plus possibly a full time 4wd system, then all 4 tires should be close or really close in diameter.

For a complex AWD system that is closely monitoring all 4 wheels, that has electronically controlled front and rear differentials/transaxle plus an electronically controlled AWD system, then all 4 tires should be identical.

For the AWD HRV, it has a pretty basic, simple and reliable AWD system.
If I recall, the rear driveline is controlled by electronically activated wet clutch in the transaxle and I don't think it has any kind of locking device in the rear differential.
Traction control, controls the DBW throttle and can apply various brakes to control the HRV.

I think all 4 tires should be the same manufacturer and model but it's not too critical for all 4 tires to have exactly the same wear on them.

Another reason, I don't like 4wd or AWD vehicles!

Reactions: Pclaythomas

·
Registered
4 Posts
I blew a tire on my way to Galveston to meet a cruise ship. I had to replace that tire on the fly and never missed a beat. It's been fine and that was two years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happen to me the summer of 2019. I had my certified pre-owed 2016 HRV for less then a half a year and had less then 30K miles on it when I somehow got a nail through the side wall. The tire place guy said I should replace all four but I still had half the tread life on the tires so I decided to replace just two. This was over a year ago and I haven’t had any problems with at least 15k miles on them. I had the car serviced a couple months ago and the original tires were still fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replacing tires for the first time on my 16 HRV AWD. I have to do all 4 because of the dry rot. They have plenty of tread despite the 62K mileage. The more cracks the worst it is. Hoping to last till winter. Keep the dry rot in mind.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Replacing tires for the first time on my 16 HRV AWD. I have to do all 4 because of the dry rot. They have plenty of tread despite the 62K mileage. The more cracks the worst it is. Hoping to last till winter. Keep the dry rot in mind.
I think 3- 4 years is the normal before tires "dry out" - so when i see those 60,000 mile Vs 40,000 mile warranties I know I am changing tires way before that anyway. Safety first !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts