Honda HR-V Forum banner

How noisy is the HR-V on the highway?

21K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  Retroman1969 
#1 ·
Hello fello HR-Vers,

I'm really loving the size, look and fit of the HR-V. I'm in NYC (yuck) and am about to PURCHASE MY FIRST CAR. USED. My family is honda drivers, and I really like the HR-V's I see parked around my neighborhood. I need to test drive. But I'm hearing rumors that she is NOISY on the highway??? what do you recommend or think about this?

Thanks!
Chrissy

#4 ·
Wow, great feedback. thanks everyone. I do plan on driving highway for trips to family / friends (4+ hrs) and until I test on highway (local queens NY dealer doesn't allow highway testing.. annoying.) I'm nervous I won't be able to hear music!!! My sisters OLD Rav-4 (like 2009?) I hated because I couldn't hear myself think.

#6 ·
I believe for the 2019 they added "sound proofing/masking" to the line up
- my 2017 does have some road noise that is noticeable-
i was able to sound proof door and the wheel well for the spare and it helps -but Honda must have listened to noise complaints and addressed them- it maybe noise cancellation they added more than sound proofing

#29 ·
I believe for the 2019 they added "sound proofing/masking" to the line up
- my 2017 does have some road noise that is noticeable-
i was able to sound proof door and the wheel well for the spare and it helps -but Honda must have listened to noise complaints and addressed them- it maybe noise cancellation they added more than sound proofing
I heard that about the 2019 as well. I bought a new 2019 in January 2020 coming from an 08 Honda Element. I also on occasion drive my wife's 2016 Honda CRV, and I have to say, my 2019 HRV is quieter in terms of road noise than both of them. I'm super impressed with my 19 HRV so far!!

#9 ·
PURCHASE MY FIRST CAR. USED
Not to scare you, but some facts. I would avoid any high milage HRV or get one with a good warranty. Noise is the least I would worry about. :)

#13 ·
I just bought mine last month (also first car! made it 3 decades of life without needing one) for the express purpose of doing longer, outdoorsy trips with it. I’ve already done 1000 miles (went backpacking far away) in it and don’t notice the noise at all after lots of highway miles. I had been borrowing my sister’s 2007 Forester for a month before getting the HRV, and it was way way noisier. I also haven’t minded the CVT at all, though you can hear some engine noise when cruising uphill, especially if you stay in eco mode and don’t change it to sport.

If this is your first car and you don’t have much to base expectations on, I don’t think you’ll notice the noise at all.

Hope that’s helpful!

#14 ·
I make a 200 mile trip every month in the HRV, and I think the road noise is fine. My problem is the power. This entire class of SUV does not have enough horsepower for me. Just a personal preference, so I’ll probably step up and get an M235 X2.

#18 ·
I have a very early 2016. Is it noisy? Well compared to my bride's 2016 RAV4, yeah. One of my daughters had an older RAV4 that I know you're talking about the noise level, and no, it is. no where near that bad. I've done a cross country trip in my HRV and the noise didn't bother me. You can hear yourself think. You can hear your music. But, you also hear a little of the road noise. It was made better once I changed the original tires (Michelin) to something else.

#21 ·
I had a 2010 Fit and it was definitely noisier than my HR-V, but not much. Listen to music and it doesn't bother me. Not sure I have ever owned a car that was upscale enough to be quiet on highways (like my friend's Mercedes SUV!!) My 95 Subaru Legacy and 92 Toyota Corolla were equally noisy.

#27 ·
Over the weekend I was able to travel through to my parents who live approximately 40 miles away for the first time since I purchased my vehicle in March of this year. The route comprises Motorway and A roads (nearly all Dual Carriageway), and I found the HR-V to be acceptably quiet at around 60-70mph.

Windnoise only became noticeable when driving on exposed open sections of the motorway, just before re-entering the hilly sections around Stirling, for example, however, I was able to make several phonecalls without having to either repeat myself, raise the volume, or shout, something that was occasionally required in my previous vehicle.

I was aware of tyre noise but as it was never more than a slight thrum, it tended to fade into the background. I'm not sure what the OE fit of tyres are in the UK (or US, for that matter!) as I had them replaced with Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen2 prior to collecting the vehicle. I had these tyres fitted to my previous vehicle and to my mind these outperformed the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance that had previously been fitted to the vehicle in grip, quietness and roadholding.

It should be noted that the roads in the UK are appallingly bad, and that is why we have started installing 'eye candy' like 'The Kelpies' at the side of the road, to distract you from that fact!

#28 ·
But I'm hearing rumors that she is NOISY on the highway??? what do you recommend or think about this?
Depends on your perspective of noisy. I think it's noisy, but tolerable. It's an economy car, so I wasn't expecting a quiet, smooth ride either. I'd do your due diligence and know what you're getting into. The HR-V is Honda's entry-level, least-expensive SUV. Compromises have to be made for the price point.

Mine has a couple of squeaks and rattles and a few ill-fitting trim pieces. I also dented the hood while casually leaning on it (and I'm not a big guy). I also find it underpowered. It's fine for city driving and interstate once you're up to speed, but it's not a rocket ship even if I floor it and shift at redline.

What the HR-V is, is a reliable transportation appliance with low operating and maintenance costs, which is why I bought it.

#37 ·
My 2017 has substantial road noise on certain surfaces. It is not engine noise - it's tire/road noise.
I tried my Bose noise cancelling headphones in those situations and they work well, but they're really not legal and they're kinda a pain. Although I can bluetooth my music through them too so I like that.
I test drove the 2019 HRV with similar noise cancelling tech integrated in it but found it isn't that effective. I have heard Acuras have same system in them but haven't experienced that.
Road noise is the ONLY real complaint I have with my 2017 HRV and I am still very happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.