Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fello HR-Vers,

I'm really loving the size, look and fit of the HR-V. I'm in NYC (yuck) and am about to PURCHASE MY FIRST CAR. USED. My family is honda drivers, and I really like the HR-V's I see parked around my neighborhood. I need to test drive. But I'm hearing rumors that she is NOISY on the highway??? what do you recommend or think about this?

Thanks!
Chrissy

·
Registered
994 Posts
Depends on your definition of noisy. i came from a Toyota Yaris so I’m pleased with the noise level of the HRV in all driving condition. But you will have more noise than the higher priced Honda models. But the noise level is compatible with similar priced vehicles IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, great feedback. thanks everyone. I do plan on driving highway for trips to family / friends (4+ hrs) and until I test on highway (local queens NY dealer doesn't allow highway testing.. annoying.) I'm nervous I won't be able to hear music!!! My sisters OLD Rav-4 (like 2009?) I hated because I couldn't hear myself think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An HR-V is noisy (noisier than my '07 Fit). I knew it before I bought mine. Now you know it too. Test drive one, if it's too noisy for you, don't buy it!
OH MAN. I thought the FIT would be worse! I was looking at the FIT also, I liked the higher ride of the HR-V? or am I making that up in my head?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe for the 2019 they added "sound proofing/masking" to the line up
- my 2017 does have some road noise that is noticeable-
i was able to sound proof door and the wheel well for the spare and it helps -but Honda must have listened to noise complaints and addressed them- it maybe noise cancellation they added more than sound proofing

·
Super Moderator
1,611 Posts
PURCHASE MY FIRST CAR. USED
Not to scare you, but some facts. I would avoid any high milage HRV or get one with a good warranty. Noise is the least I would worry about. :)

·
Registered
2017 HRV LX
2 Posts
I just bought mine last month (also first car! made it 3 decades of life without needing one) for the express purpose of doing longer, outdoorsy trips with it. I’ve already done 1000 miles (went backpacking far away) in it and don’t notice the noise at all after lots of highway miles. I had been borrowing my sister’s 2007 Forester for a month before getting the HRV, and it was way way noisier. I also haven’t minded the CVT at all, though you can hear some engine noise when cruising uphill, especially if you stay in eco mode and don’t change it to sport.

If this is your first car and you don’t have much to base expectations on, I don’t think you’ll notice the noise at all.

Hope that’s helpful!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I make a 200 mile trip every month in the HRV, and I think the road noise is fine. My problem is the power. This entire class of SUV does not have enough horsepower for me. Just a personal preference, so I’ll probably step up and get an M235 X2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought mine last month (also first car! made it 3 decades of life without needing one) for the express purpose of doing longer, outdoorsy trips with it. I’ve already done 1000 miles (went backpacking far away) in it and don’t notice the noise at all after lots of highway miles. I had been borrowing my sister’s 2007 Forester for a month before getting the HRV, and it was way way noisier. I also haven’t minded the CVT at all, though you can hear some engine noise when cruising uphill, especially if you stay in eco mode and don’t change it to sport.

If this is your first car and you don’t have much to base expectations on, I don’t think you’ll notice the noise at all.

Hope that’s helpful!
Hey thanks Zach. Cool! Another first timer!!! I can really only afford a 2017 ? what do you have? you're the first "positive" / neutral" on the noise. ha.

·
Registered
2017 HRV LX
2 Posts
Hey thanks Zach. Cool! Another first timer!!! I can really only afford a 2017 ? what do you have? you're the first "positive" / neutral" on the noise. ha.
Yep, I have the 2017. I read a lot about the 2016 beforehand and saw some complaints about the transmission, but whatever the problem was seemed to get resolved in 2017. There was a fair number of used ones in my area and I imagine there would be in New York too!

·
Registered
994 Posts
You will need to do a thorough test drive (as with any car purchase). As I commented earlier, “noisy” is different to each person. Good luck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a very early 2016. Is it noisy? Well compared to my bride's 2016 RAV4, yeah. One of my daughters had an older RAV4 that I know you're talking about the noise level, and no, it is. no where near that bad. I've done a cross country trip in my HRV and the noise didn't bother me. You can hear yourself think. You can hear your music. But, you also hear a little of the road noise. It was made better once I changed the original tires (Michelin) to something else.

·
Registered
259 Posts
YUP Paragon. I made it around the block. zzzz
I did buy from Paragon eventually... the saleswoman caved and let me roll around for a bit- but yes highway was off limits. it seems they dont fear scaring off customers as they have them waiting in line in the showrooms ! My saleswoman was great - she knew when i was buying and was able to get me the color i wanted in the 2017, and this was basically June of 2016 and the 2017 was not available yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
... of the road noise. It was made better once I changed the original tires (Michelin) to something else.
Hi Dammit, what did you put on for tires? I'm getting close to replacing and need a suggestion.

thanks, mpmn04

1 - 20 of 37 Posts