Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just changed my CVT fluid myself today at just over 40,000 miles. The code per maintenance minder had not come up yet. The fluid drained out relatively clear, with minimal black residue (no metal shavings) on the drain plug. Refilled exactly the volume that drained out (4.2 quarts), easy DIY job! I'm definitely a soft driver and don't push the car at all but as has been recommended in previous posts, preventive maintenance is definitely cheaper than getting a new transmission put in later on.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So you suggest I don't follow the maintenance minder, and change more often, like 50,000km or 40,000km?
This is my first CVT, so I am unfamiliar with it.
From the 2019 owners manual
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

I don't drive under those conditions, but change my CVT fluid by this schedule anyhow. And greetings from a Tennessee Resolute retiree!

·
Registered
537 Posts
No MM notification but I had the fluid changed by Honda at ~45k miles. The difference is like night and day in how my car runs. In particular, shifting into reverse felt quite clunky/rough, and I also had the excessive vibration issue when the car was in reverse... all of that is gone now.

Hopefully this was not “too late,” and I don’t encounter any CVT problems later on. I would strongly recommend changing the fluid every 20-30k based on this experience. Who knows when the MM would’ve gone off... 60-75k?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too bad Honda changed to the CVT from the tried and true old automatic with torque converter transmission.
The wife's old 2007 civic transmission fuild never changed and 160,000 km's on it and no problem

21 - 24 of 24 Posts