Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just changed my CVT fluid myself today at just over 40,000 miles. The code per maintenance minder had not come up yet. The fluid drained out relatively clear, with minimal black residue (no metal shavings) on the drain plug. Refilled exactly the volume that drained out (4.2 quarts), easy DIY job! I'm definitely a soft driver and don't push the car at all but as has been recommended in previous posts, preventive maintenance is definitely cheaper than getting a new transmission put in later on.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So you suggest I don't follow the maintenance minder, and change more often, like 50,000km or 40,000km?
This is my first CVT, so I am unfamiliar with it.
From the 2019 owners manual
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

I don't drive under those conditions, but change my CVT fluid by this schedule anyhow. And greetings from a Tennessee Resolute retiree!

·
Registered
536 Posts
No MM notification but I had the fluid changed by Honda at ~45k miles. The difference is like night and day in how my car runs. In particular, shifting into reverse felt quite clunky/rough, and I also had the excessive vibration issue when the car was in reverse... all of that is gone now.

Hopefully this was not “too late,” and I don’t encounter any CVT problems later on. I would strongly recommend changing the fluid every 20-30k based on this experience. Who knows when the MM would’ve gone off... 60-75k?

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
26 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the CVT fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles. I had over 40K on my old HRV when it got totaled and the new one I got has 26K. Just checking see if this is really needed at 30K. I don't remember if I had this service done so soon on my other HRV.

What ya think?
For UK cars the manual indicates change every 25,000mls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 HRV with 74,000 miles. The original owner hasn't changed the transmission or differential fluid that are recommended at 60,000 I believe. That sounds kind of early to change the fluid to me. The dealership I called recommended changing the trans fluid every 30,000 miles. That really sounds early. Do you all think I should get I changed if they suggest it (at the 74,000 miles) and do you changed it every 30,000 miles?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 HRV with 74,000 miles. The original owner hasn't changed the transmission or differential fluid that are recommended at 60,000 I believe. That sounds kind of early to change the fluid to me. The dealership I called recommended changing the trans fluid every 30,000 miles. That really sounds early. Do you all think I should get I changed if they suggest it (at the 74,000 miles) and do you changed it every 30,000 miles?
Well- a lot of posts on here have reported overfilled CVTs from the factory- so if you change it now they should fill it to the proper level too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
And have them cheak and clean the trans vent cap - lil rubber cap that can get clogged with fluid/ dust dirt combo. Easy to clean out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the CVT fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles. I had over 40K on my old HRV when it got totaled and the new one I got has 26K. Just checking see if this is really needed at 30K. I don't remember if I had this service done so soon on my other HRV.

What ya think?
I change at every 30000 km. Just to be on safe side.Still cheaper like new CVT.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No amount of fluid change frequency or fluid type will make up for cheesy metallurgy and bad design.

·
Registered
52 Posts

What ya think?
I agree. Use the same interval for your rear differential if you have AWD.
To make your transmission last longer, put it in Neutral or Park if you know you will be sitting for a longer than normal period. It keeps the transmission cooler and the friction plates from wearing out sooner.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I’m using the Maintenance Minder. However, with prior CVT info and prior to Honda having a software update, I did have the CVT fluid/filters changed at 30k. Oil changes at 15%.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My procedure is simple: oil changes at 5K mile intervals.
Coolant changes at 30K intervals.
ATF changes at 30K intervals.
Manual transmission lube at 30K intervals.
Rear diff Dual Pump II lube at 30K intervals.
All of it is DIY and I've been doing this with my Honda's since 1991.
I get them to do the brake fluid and where applicable, master cylinder and power steering COMPLETE FLUSHES at 30K miles.
Maintenance Minder? I don't need no stinkin' Maintenance Minder.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My procedure is simple: oil changes at 5K mile intervals.
Coolant changes at 30K intervals.
ATF changes at 30K intervals.
Manual transmission lube at 30K intervals.
Rear diff Dual Pump II lube at 30K intervals.
All of it is DIY and I've been doing this with my Honda's since 1991.
I get them to do the brake fluid and where applicable, master cylinder and power steering COMPLETE FLUSHES at 30K miles.
Maintenance Minder? I don't need no stinkin' Maintenance Minder.
I am the same way... My last car was a 2007 Honda Accord SE with the 2.4....I follow about what you do....I had 385000 on it when I traded it in for a 2021 Honda HRV Sport a few months ago...The Accord ran great and would drive it from Louisville KY to Navarre FL a few times each year with no problems at all...The only other thing I did was add Motor Kote every other oil change...

·
Registered
52 Posts
The secret to keeping any Honda running longer is to use premium fluids and change them regularly. There was an old TV commercial about skipping oil changes and the mechanic said, "Pay me now or pay me later!" This applies to a lot of things in life.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The secret to keeping any Honda running longer is to use premium fluids and change them regularly. There was an old TV commercial about skipping oil changes and the mechanic said, "Pay me now or pay me later!" This applies to a lot of things in life.
FRAM oil filters was the one...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is the Honda CVT a prem fluid or are there better out there???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is the Honda CVT a prem fluid or are there better out there???
Yes, all Honda fluids are premium fluids. However, they are not full synthetic which performs better. .
I recommend Honda fluids, but I use Amsoil CVT fluid in the HR-V transmission. Honda CVT fluid is good, but Amsoil has performed better for me.

Likewise, I only use Honda Long Life Coolant in the cooling system and I change it at 30K mile intervals.

I use Amsoil ATF in my non-CVT automatic transmissions and Amsoil Manual Synchromesh in my 5-speed manual Element transmission.. Just check the labels on the back on the non-Honda fluids to see if they meet Honda spec requirements. Honda does not include their competitors' specs on their labels..

The only Honda fluid I use in the rear differential fluid of my HR-V, Element and CR-V is Honda Dual Pump II, because no one else makes it. Depending on how much I use the AWD feature in the winter going through heavy snow, I will change it at 15K or 30K mile intervals. It is thin and can break down under heat and extreme use. You can feel and hear the difference when it begins to break down.

For the engine, I use either Mobil1 full synthetic in all of my motors but I stick with the viscosity requirements for each. My HR-V runs best on Mobil1 0W-20 AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy) which is designed especially for this engine. Mobil1 even has the Honda name on the front label for this one.

Hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts