Honda HR-V Forum banner

How often to change the CVT Fluid?

100K views 73 replies 31 participants last post by  WDHewson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was told by my dealer that the CVT fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles. I had over 40K on my old HRV when it got totaled and the new one I got has 26K. Just checking to see if this is really needed at 30K. I don't remember if I had this service done so soon on my other HRV.

What ya think?

#4 ·
I just changed the CVT fluid recently at 27K miles. There are several members on here and other forums that have reported transmission failures at around 65K-75K miles. We had the transmission fail at 100K on a 2004 Honda Accord V6 years ago. It was regularly maintained at the dealer. It turned out to be a common problem and I remember reading that the issue could've been avoided by replacing the transmission fluid at shorter intervals than Honda recommended. I'm hoping it's the same case with the HRV changing the fluid at shorter intervals will reduce the likelihood of premature failure.

#10 ·
I just changed the CVT fluid recently at 27K miles. There are several members on here and other forums that have reported transmission failures at around 65K-75K miles. We had the transmission fail at 100K on a 2004 Honda Accord V6 years ago. It was regularly maintained at the dealer. It turned out to be a common problem and I remember reading that it issue could've been avoided by replacing the transmission fluid at shorter intervals than Honda recommended. I'm hoping that replacing the CVT fluid on the HRV at shorter intervals will reduce the likelihood of a premature failure.

i had a 2002 honda civic and the transmission started giving problems year 4 and got worse from there. thats why i went to toyota. now i'm back to honda. the salesperson told me that honda 2002-2004 had transmission problems. hmph.

#7 ·
Continuously variable transmission models only
*4: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km).

For normal driving conditions I would doubled that distance. But my code still didn't come up when it was 55K+ miles

#9 ·
I would change it at 30,000 mile intervals MAX but if it were me I’d prob go closer to 20,000.

Honda automatic transmissions constantly fail and preventative maintenance is cheaper than replacing your transmission.

That being said Most people on here will tell you to wait for the maintenance minder. Ultimately it’s what makes your feel most comfortable while saving you money.

I am super cheap but even I would rather replace my fluid sooner and not replace a transmission.

You can get your fluid cheaper online aswell, check out eBay and other sites and use the money you saved to make up for more frequent changes if you go that route.

#16 ·
Finally got around to having the dealer change it with the next oil change.
The tech said it was clear, and looked fine, nice to hear especially since I do tow a trailer a dozen times a year.
The dealer said since I obviously don't drive hard, the maintenance minder did not require it.
I asked what Honda recommends, he said every 30,000 to 40,000 km.
So I asked him why the dealer never recommended as I hit 40,000 a couple years ago.
He didn't have an answer, so a little disappointed.

#13 ·
Based on our used HRV we bought a few months ago, the CVT fluid came out very black at 50 000km/30 000miles.
I would say that was too long.

Anyone relying on the dealer or the MM (maintenance minder) for their vehicle is going to regret that.
Just have a look at the CVT failure threads.

#15 ·
On another thread, that I cannot find, there was a discussion on how to check the condition of the HRV CVT fluid without draining it out.
I finally was able to check this out on our HRV during some servicing.

With the CVT rubber fill plug removed, there is no easy way to stick a piece of wire or something down that hole to check the fluid.
There are some internal transmission components in the way.
It's too bad, as that would make it really easy. Checking the trans fluid from the engine compartment just like a traditional dipstick on an older auto transmission.

The CVT front side level check plug is only accessible from below.
With it removed, there are also some transmission components right behind that hole.
You can't easily stick your finger or something in there to dip into the fluid.
I was sort of able to stick my small finger in there, reaching the fluid.
It sort of looked clean and clear.
I had changed the CVT fluid when we bought our used HRV 6 months ago. 15000km/9000 miles ago.
Our HRV now has a total 65000km/40000miles on it.

Hardly scientific.
I guess one could loosen the drain bolt and very carefully drain some fluid, but with my luck I would end up dumping all the CVT fluid.

Not sure what else one could do. Change it every 40000km/25000 miles regardless.

Reactions: Pclaythomas
#18 ·
So the official receipt states "If code had not yet popped up yet, it was not needed to replace but ESIS claims if driving in "mountain and hilly terrain, along with towing regularly will cause to pop up every ~40,000"
So I guess I just wasted my money on an unnecessary CVT oil change, maybe under gentle use it would be more like 80,000km before the MM would pop up.
Has anyone else seen the A3 MM for CVT transmission fluid, and after how many miles or years?

#20 ·
Thanks fellow Canadian (I'm in Thunder Bay), and also enjoy the benefits of the 2WD version.
I may ask to see the fluid next time, I"m not sure the dealers do that often.
They say the breakdown is typically due to how hard you drive, weights in the vehicle, temperatures.
Let me say I drive like "an egg under my pedal" to maximize fuel efficiency, only tow maybe 10 times a year with a few hundred pounds in a lightweight 10 foot aluminium trailer that weights only 300 lbs.

So you suggest I don't follow the maintenance minder, and change more often, like 50,000km or 40,000km?
This is my first CVT, so I am unfamiliar with it.

#22 ·
So you suggest I don't follow the maintenance minder, and change more often, like 50,000km or 40,000km?
This is my first CVT, so I am unfamiliar with it.
From the 2019 owners manual
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

I don't drive under those conditions, but change my CVT fluid by this schedule anyhow. And greetings from a Tennessee Resolute retiree!

#21 ·
I just changed my CVT fluid myself today at just over 40,000 miles. The code per maintenance minder had not come up yet. The fluid drained out relatively clear, with minimal black residue (no metal shavings) on the drain plug. Refilled exactly the volume that drained out (4.2 quarts), easy DIY job! I'm definitely a soft driver and don't push the car at all but as has been recommended in previous posts, preventive maintenance is definitely cheaper than getting a new transmission put in later on.

#23 ·
No MM notification but I had the fluid changed by Honda at ~45k miles. The difference is like night and day in how my car runs. In particular, shifting into reverse felt quite clunky/rough, and I also had the excessive vibration issue when the car was in reverse... all of that is gone now.

Hopefully this was not “too late,” and I don’t encounter any CVT problems later on. I would strongly recommend changing the fluid every 20-30k based on this experience. Who knows when the MM would’ve gone off... 60-75k?

#26 ·
I just bought a used 2017 HRV with 74,000 miles. The original owner hasn't changed the transmission or differential fluid that are recommended at 60,000 I believe. That sounds kind of early to change the fluid to me. The dealership I called recommended changing the trans fluid every 30,000 miles. That really sounds early. Do you all think I should get I changed if they suggest it (at the 74,000 miles) and do you changed it every 30,000 miles?

#30 ·
I was told by my dealer that the CVT fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles. I had over 40K on my old HRV when it got totaled and the new one I got has 26K. Just checking see if this is really needed at 30K. I don't remember if I had this service done so soon on my other HRV.

What ya think?
I change at every 30000 km. Just to be on safe side.Still cheaper like new CVT.

#32 ·
I was told by my dealer that the CVT fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles. I had over 40K on my old HRV when it got totaled and the new one I got has 26K. Just checking see if this is really needed at 30K. I don't remember if I had this service done so soon on my other HRV.

What ya think?
I agree. Use the same interval for your rear differential if you have AWD.
To make your transmission last longer, put it in Neutral or Park if you know you will be sitting for a longer than normal period. It keeps the transmission cooler and the friction plates from wearing out sooner.

#35 ·
My procedure is simple: oil changes at 5K mile intervals.
Coolant changes at 30K intervals.
ATF changes at 30K intervals.
Manual transmission lube at 30K intervals.
Rear diff Dual Pump II lube at 30K intervals.
All of it is DIY and I've been doing this with my Honda's since 1991.
I get them to do the brake fluid and where applicable, master cylinder and power steering COMPLETE FLUSHES at 30K miles.
Maintenance Minder? I don't need no stinkin' Maintenance Minder.

#36 ·
My procedure is simple: oil changes at 5K mile intervals.
Coolant changes at 30K intervals.
ATF changes at 30K intervals.
Manual transmission lube at 30K intervals.
Rear diff Dual Pump II lube at 30K intervals.
All of it is DIY and I've been doing this with my Honda's since 1991.
I get them to do the brake fluid and where applicable, master cylinder and power steering COMPLETE FLUSHES at 30K miles.
Maintenance Minder? I don't need no stinkin' Maintenance Minder.
I am the same way... My last car was a 2007 Honda Accord SE with the 2.4....I follow about what you do....I had 385000 on it when I traded it in for a 2021 Honda HRV Sport a few months ago...The Accord ran great and would drive it from Louisville KY to Navarre FL a few times each year with no problems at all...The only other thing I did was add Motor Kote every other oil change...