Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of ways to go about buying a new car in today's market however one of the easiest process is going through an auto buying program. There are a number on the market today which can be found through your credit union or wholesale clubs such as Costco. http://www.costcoauto.com/

Each dealership also typically has an Internet sales person or team however the buying programs tend to be priced better and easier to operate. It's a simple process for example with Costco where you look up and find the local dealership that is the sponsor for your location.

Contact the dealership let them know that you want to speak with the Costco representative. Typically then you'll set up an appointment to go in and they say the price which is typically a certain amount over invoice. All of the Hondas that I have purchased locally through Costco have been at invoice or $500 over invoice.

When all is said and done this sure is the easiest way to go about buying a car and makes the experience so much better afterwards instead of sitting there haggling back-and-forth over a couple of hundred dollars. Everybody ends up paying the same price and if you want the car you buy it if you don't there's no haggling involved. Couldn't be easier. :)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
There are a number of ways to go about buying a new car in today's market however one of the easiest process is going through an auto buying program. There are a number on the market today which can be found through your credit union or wholesale clubs such as Costco. http://www.costcoauto.com/

Each dealership also typically has an Internet sales person or team however the buying programs tend to be priced better and easier to operate. It's a simple process for example with Costco where you look up and find the local dealership that is the sponsor for your location.

Contact the dealership let them know that you want to speak with the Costco representative. Typically then you'll set up an appointment to go in and they say the price which is typically a certain amount over invoice. All of the Hondas that I have purchased locally through Costco have been at invoice or $500 over invoice.

When all is said and done this sure is the easiest way to go about buying a car and makes the experience so much better afterwards instead of sitting there haggling back-and-forth over a couple of hundred dollars. Everybody ends up paying the same price and if you want the car you buy it if you don't there's no haggling involved. Couldn't be easier. :)
Sounds like one good way to do it. I would just make sure I got lots of quotes and information BEFORE you get into a discussion with any salesman at a dealer.

Would the Costco price be on one they have on the lot with options you may not want.....or can a "clean" one be ordered and still get the $500 over invoice price?

I think I would have more confidence getting the car and fair price from Costco if they would just tell me the price when I contacted them.

I did initiate a test buy on a CRV to see how it worked. I entered my Costco number and got a generic e-mail about it.

But then I got a Costco e-mail from the internet salesperson who I had communicated with before on the HR-V. She specifically referred to the HR-V in that Costco e-mail instead of the CR-V. She impressed me by remembering me and referring to what I was REALLY interested in. ( She explained she can't do much now because Costco pricing does not have the HR-V in the system yet, understandably. She is the Honda/ Costco rep in my area).

It will be interesting to see how this all goes if and when I am ready to buy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in San Diego I go thru an auto broker. You tell him exactly what you want color options then he searches. He does financing thru a local credit union. Both cars I bought thru him was a huge savings since I had checked pricing first. Usually has car within 3 days depends where it is coming from. One came from Bakersfiekd the other Riverside.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't want to pay anything over MSRP, so I won't be doing it through Costco. I may have to haggle instead, but it won't take long. I will be firm at getting a clean car at MSRP. If they won't take it, I'll simply state I'll wait until price does go back down to MSRP and walk out.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, what a simple process. Far better than haggling back and forth. Your going to own the car for likely several years and last thing you want to do is have bad memories about the purchase day which you will think of everytime you drive the car. :)

Here in San Diego I go thru an auto broker. You tell him exactly what you want color options then he searches. He does financing thru a local credit union. Both cars I bought thru him was a huge savings since I had checked pricing first. Usually has car within 3 days depends where it is coming from. One came from Bakersfiekd the other Riverside.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I don't want to pay anything over MSRP, so I won't be doing it through Costco. I may have to haggle instead, but it won't take long. I will be firm at getting a clean car at MSRP. If they won't take it, I'll simply state I'll wait until price does go back down to MSRP and walk out.
I agree, but I will give Costco a shot to see what they can do. But I will have already done my research and gotten other quotes first. I am not depending on just one avenue to get the best price on a car.

One thing I will not do is just walk on a dealership grounds and begin the process there. Too much nonsense and game playing there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree, but I will give Costco a shot to see what they can do. But I will have already done my research and gotten other quotes first. I am not depending on just one avenue to get the best price on a car.

One thing I will not do is just walk on a dealership grounds and begin the process there. Too much nonsense and game playing there.
I don't negotiate.

I always go in having done my research and exactly in mind what I want and exactly for how much (either MSRP or an advertised lower price). My Fit experience went extremely smoothly as a result, but I've pissed off other dealers in the past.

I simply don't change my mind. In my mind it is just like going into Target or Walmart and buying an item as priced.

Lol if I tried to negotiate I would probably be horrible at it due to lack of experience.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I don't negotiate.

I always go in having done my research and exactly in mind what I want and exactly for how much (either MSRP or what is advertised). My Fit experience went extremely smoothly as a result, but I've pissed off other dealers in the past.

I simply don't change my mind. In my mind it is just like going into Target or Walmart and buying an item as priced.

Lol if I tried to negotiate I would probably be horrible at it due to lack of experience.

I agree. I don't negotiate well either.

I just meant that after I get pricing from all the dealers, I will choose the lowest. Then, before I purchase, I will check with Costco to see what they offer. If their process is too convoluted and based on existing cars on the lot with unwanted extras, I will pass on that.
( I know people will say "I got such a deal getting all those extras by going through Costco". Does not impress me because that only pads the price to more than I want to pay)

I don't intend to pit one against the other in a negotiation process.

I still may choose the slightly higher price for the dealer that treats me with respect and worked hard to get exactly what I want. Time will tell.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't negotiate.

I always go in having done my research and exactly in mind what I want and exactly for how much (either MSRP or what is advertised). My Fit experience went extremely smoothly as a result, but I've pissed off other dealers in the past.

I agree. I don't negotiate well either.

I just meant that after I get pricing from all the dealers, I will choose the lowest. Then, before I purchase, I will check with Costco to see what they offer. If their process is too convoluted and based on existing cars on the lot with unwanted extras, I will pass on that.
( I know people will say "I got such a deal getting all those extras by going through Costco". Does not impress me because that only pads the price to more than I want to pay)

I don't intend to pit one against the other in a negotiation process.

I still may choose the slightly higher price for the dealer that treats me with respect and worked hard to get exactly what I want. Time will tell.
I'll only go for extras if I'm interested in those extras. But even then, it would be something I already am planning on getting with the car before coming the dealer. Otherwise don't waste my time asking me to pay extra for things I don't want.

Usually I like a clean car anyways. But my wife wants all weather mats, so I'll add that to the HR-V lol.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'll only go for extras if I'm interested in those extras. But even then, it would be something I already am planning on getting with the car before coming the dealer. Otherwise don't waste my time asking me to pay extra for things I don't want.

Usually I like a clean car anyways. But my wife wants all weather mats, so I'll add that to the HR-V lol.
Yeppers.....clean car for me. You can also just buy the mats from the dealer parts store and keep that out of your price. :)
You could even get quality mats from somewhere else if you can do without an HR-V or Honda logo. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts

Yeppers.....clean car for me. You can also just buy the mats from the dealer parts store and keep that out of your price.

You could even get quality mats from somewhere else if you can do without an HR-V or Honda logo.
Yes, they may not even have mats readily available at the time HR-Vs come out anyways.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then using a buyers club program makes it that much easier. :)

I don't negotiate.

I always go in having done my research and exactly in mind what I want and exactly for how much (either MSRP or an advertised lower price). My Fit experience went extremely smoothly as a result, but I've pissed off other dealers in the past.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Then using a buyers club program makes it that much easier.

I don't negotiate.

Not if I'm not willing to pay $500 over MSRP.

·
Registered
632 Posts
What's the difference between invoice and MSRP, and which is usually less?
Invoice is what the dealership pays the manufacturer for the car. MSRP (Manufacture Suggested Retail Price) is what Honda USA says the car "should" sell for. A dealership can follow the MSRP, or they can sell it for whatever they want (higher or lower). You can buy below invoice (thus the dealership loses money on the car they sell you), but they usually make up the cost with financing or if they need to meet a target sales number by the end of the month to get incentives from the manufacturer (which can be greater than the profit of the car from you).

In short, a car in high demand usually sells at MSRP or even above. However, very soon you'll see cars selling for just above invoice. Cars not in demand tend to go for below invoice, or cars sold when the dealer really needs to meet a certain number of cars sold to get the benefits from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Invoice is what the dealership pays the manufacturer for the car. MSRP (Manufacture Suggested Retail Price) is what Honda USA says the car "should" sell for. A dealership can follow the MSRP, or they can sell it for whatever they want (higher or lower). You can buy below invoice (thus the dealership loses money on the car they sell you), but they usually make up the cost with financing or if they need to meet a target sales number by the end of the month to get incentives from the manufacturer (which can be greater than the profit of the car from you).

In short, a car in high demand usually sells at MSRP or even above. However, very soon you'll see cars selling for just above invoice. Cars not in demand tend to go for below invoice, or cars sold when the dealer really needs to meet a certain number of cars sold to get the benefits from the manufacturer.
Excellent explanation.....thanks.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most Hondas sell somewhere between dealer invoice (what the dealer pays for the car) and Manufactures Suggested Retail Price (what the manufacturer recommends pricing the car for).

Final pricing all depends on the actual demand of the vehicle. For example the current Crosstour can probably be purchased at or below invoice while you can expect the HRV for some time to be selling at or above retail.

What's the difference between invoice and MSRP, and which is usually less?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts