Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a set of Universal 4-Channel switches that turn on and off by wireless remote. And I am using each channel about 15 amps. Follow the instructions to connect the 2 poles directly to the battery. But I only want this unit has power after I turn on the key. Can I connect it to Fuse Box? I am worried that connecting to the fuse box will damage the circuit when using high wattage lamps. Or can I use a relay harness connect before this unit? Because the relay harness has a manual toggle switch that uses the trigger low-current from fuse box to toggle the high-current from battery. Does that damage anything?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
You'll need to add a relay.

A common relay is one with 4 connections. One pair (controlled circuit) is a pass through for power to your 4 ch switch. The other pair (controller/switch) will be wired to something like the ignition switch in the fuse panel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can use it, but the relay is controlled by a switch and doesn't connect to an ignition only circuit in the fuse box... so you have to remember to turn it off to avoid draining the battery.

The relay itself can be used the way I suggested, but the way they wired it up won't work if you want to use the ignition only circuit. They have three pairs of wires (6 wires) for a 4 pin relay. And in all honesty, it doesn't make any sense to me, since it doesn't include a lower voltage circuit or a separate circuit. It's no different than running a wire from the pos battery, to the switch, to the device (fog lamps in the images) and finally back to the neg battery/ground. Basically, the relay is useless.

What you could do, separate the relay from the harness and make a different harness for the relay. Add something like these Amazon.com : add a circuit fuse tap and connect that to one of the pins on the relay. Specifically, on the side where it has something like:

__/ __ <--- open switch diagram on the relay

Then, the other pin from that side, into a ground.

Then, for the other two pins, one goes to the battery (pos) and the other goes to the 4ch controller's red wire. The black wire from the controller then goes to ground.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a side note: For a while there was a Del Sol that had a light bar installed in its lower grill... they were annoying AF. No aim, nothing, just blinding light everywhere. I'm guessing an annoyed cop got them to stop using the light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use it, but the relay is controlled by a switch and doesn't connect to an ignition only circuit in the fuse box... so you have to remember to turn it off to avoid draining the battery.

The relay itself can be used the way I suggested, but the way they wired it up won't work if you want to use the ignition only circuit. They have three pairs of wires (6 wires) for a 4 pin relay. And in all honesty, it doesn't make any sense to me, since it doesn't include a lower voltage circuit or a separate circuit. It's no different than running a wire from the pos battery, to the switch, to the device (fog lamps in the images) and finally back to the neg battery/ground. Basically, the relay is useless.

What you could do, separate the relay from the harness and make a different harness for the relay. Add something like these Amazon.com : add a circuit fuse tap and connect that to one of the pins on the relay. Specifically, on the side where it has something like:

__/ __ <--- open switch diagram on the relay

Then, the other pin from that side, into a ground.

Then, for the other two pins, one goes to the battery (pos) and the other goes to the 4ch controller's red wire. The black wire from the controller then goes to ground.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a side note: For a while there was a Del Sol that had a light bar installed in its lower grill... they were annoying AF. No aim, nothing, just blinding light everywhere. I'm guessing an annoyed cop got them to stop using the light.
I don't use the Light Bar on my car but I use the 4 Channel switch to control the RGBW LEDs on my headlights I have customized and show you last week, they really absorb a lot of Amps. I think the 4 channel switch itself has Relay but I do not want to use the low-current source (fuse box) to use, and must get the main power from the battery, so using relay 30/40A before 4 channel switches is the best option. This Relay Harness gets the high-current power from the battery and turns it on/off with the power from the fuse box. That's why I connect to a fuse when I turn on the key. Thanks for the detailed explanation for me to understand.

I have tested, if the power is not supplied to the Possitive (trigger) the output will not draw power at all. Only when turning on the car key and turning on the switch from the relay harness will the output has power.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The problem with that harness, like I said, it's 6 wires for 4 pins. But more importantly, is that some power has to come from somewhere for the switch to work... which is coming from the battery.

If you wire that circuit into the fuse box, now you have power coming from the fuse AND power coming from the relay (meaning both sides are live wires). In the long run, not a good idea. You need to separate the main battery pair of wires from the fuse pair of wires.

About the light bar, I think I confused the thread with one from another forum. Sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with that harness, like I said, it's 6 wires for 4 pins. But more importantly, is that some power has to come from somewhere for the switch to work... which is coming from the battery.

If you wire that circuit into the fuse box, now you have power coming from the fuse AND power coming from the relay (meaning both sides are live wires). In the long run, not a good idea. You need to separate the main battery pair of wires from the fuse pair of wires.

About the light bar, I think I confused the thread with one from another forum. Sorry.
The main source is from Pin, while Possitive (trigger) is taken from the source fuse box. This means that the trigger only supplies power to the switch to perform on/off the relay. But it does not power the relay.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That relay is not the same as the relay in the harness from Amazon, that you linked to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts