Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HR-V And Pandora: Initial Joy, Subsequent Letdown, An Aha Moment & Final Elation!

INITIAL JOY
When they first announced the HR-V, they said that "Pandora radio" would be standard.

See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9YNq3Opz9I
Start listening @ 1:50 for the standard features. At 2:13 is where he says "Pandora radio"

SUBSEQUENT LETDOWN

Then the specs came out and it turns out that you have to upgrade to the EX to get, according to their wording, "Pandora Compatibility". The LX model doesn't have this according to the specs.

AN AHA MOMENT

After the letdown of not getting "Pandora Compatibility" as standard, it just so happened I was up thinking one night. I had a flashback to the time I sat in and tried out Pandora in the Fit LX. I looked on the Honda website and lo and behold the LX model showed that it was NOT "Pandora Compatible". I know for a fact that the Fit LX will play Pandora over the radio via Bluetooth streaming because I tried it myself. You can't see any song info or thumbs up/down a song, but, you can hear it.

Interesting enough, the CR-V LX is the same as the Fit LX in that it doesn't have a dedicated Pandora app screen, but, it plays the audio via Bluetooth streaming. Yet, for some odd reason, it has "Pandora Compatibility" listed as standard, even for the LX, while the Fit does not.

So, why does the CR-V LX show that it has "Pandora Compatibility" when the Fit LX does not and yet they both play Pandora the same way? Why are they using different terms on different models? If both models can play Pandora via Bluetooth streaming, regardless of whether they have a dedicated app screen, why are they labeled differently?

FINAL ELATION

The Fit and HR-V share the same radio in the LX trim. I can't logically think of a reason why that which worked in the Fit LX won't work in the HR-V LX. Therefore, the conclusion I draw is that I won't be able to see song info or give a thumbs up/down on the radio, but, I won't have to get an EX just to listen to Pandora!

I didn't know if anybody else had noticed this, but, I definitely did and thought I'd share this info.

Listening to Pandora in an HR-V LX = Color me happy!

:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you use an iPhone or android? The Fit LX stereo is more capable than most think. I plugged my iPhone into the car via usb the other day and although I didn't have Display Audio's "pandora" source that gives the option to thumbs up or down a song, I did get song title info, album artwork, and skip track functionality. I was a bit surprised it included the artwork. I'll research even further tomorrow, maybe even make a video. Let me know what questions you have and I'll test it out for you on a fit LX stereo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've Got Android

I have an Android phone running KitKat 4.4.

I used this phone when I tried out the Fit LX stereo. I was connected via Bluetooth and streamed the Pandora that way. I would like to have the ability to do the thumbs up/down. I'm just not willing to pay for the EX to get the Display Audio system. I prefer old school knobs and buttons. Plus, I just don't have any use for a moonroof and I don't like losing headroom due to having it.

Thanks for the input. A video would fit the old saying, "A picture's worth a thousand words." I don't know how many words a video is worth, but, it would probably help out if it could be shown what features work on the LX trim with both Apple and Android phones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Private

It's not working.
It's saying the video is private.

Maybe you need to tweak the privacy settings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the video.

That was very informative. I'm still not sure if my memory is correct about whether my Android phone showed up the song title, artist and album info when I had it connected. My time was very brief and I just quickly verified that the sound would play.

I'll be more than happy with this sound system. I love the blend of old school and modern into the system. The screen is just the perfect size for me. It's not too little or too big. I also like that it's not a touch screen.

I prefer this system over the CR-V's because of it all being integrated into one unit, whereas the CR-V has the buttons in one spot and the screen in another.

I think the screen sizes are actually the same, but it appears bigger in the Fit because of the screen being much closer to you instead of being deep set in the dash and father away.

I can live with not having 100% Pandora functionality. I've listened to it long enough now that it pretty much plays what I like. It's not too often that I have to hit the thumbs down button. I usually only listen to one station anyway so being able to change stations isn't even that much of a big deal either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding Pandora and Bluetooth iPod connection, is there a way to have Pandora (Bluetooth from your phone) connected at the same time as Bluetooth iPod audio connection? It seems when I have the Bluetooth ipod playing, I can't then access Pandora and vice versa. On that same note, I'm able to play Pandora from my phone AND keep it set up on Bluetooth as a phone even though it's being utilized as an audio player while it's playing Pandora app?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Regarding Pandora and Bluetooth iPod connection, is there a way to have Pandora (Bluetooth from your phone) connected at the same time as Bluetooth iPod audio connection? It seems when I have the Bluetooth ipod playing, I can't then access Pandora and vice versa. On that same note, I'm able to play Pandora from my phone AND keep it set up on Bluetooth as a phone even though it's being utilized as an audio player while it's playing Pandora app?
My '13 Civic had the Pandora app and it was a pile of crap. If I used the Pandora app over the Bluetooth or USB then there was no way to switch to music stored on my phone and vice-versa. On top of that it would glitch, stop playing, and the only fix was to unplug the USB and plug it back in.

With no Pandora app on my HR-V, Pandora works perfectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts