Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 CVT transmission has seemed sloppy since new with repeatable oscillating rpm on the highway at steady state throttle around 2700-3000 rpm. The oscillation was most annoying when we were on any long trips where the issue would be exposed most frequently. In the event it may help others, today, when in for an oil change at my local dealer, the tech reprogrammed the main computer, which included an software update for the transmission (there was something for the AWD too). This was not available when I had it in for the issue in the past. Upon leaving the dealer, the transmission operation was immediately notably different, with a more stepped, gear shifting type operation. I drove it on the highway for about a half hour and the oscillating issue seems much less pronounced. Marketing information released by Honda on the 2019 HR-V's mentioned a change in transmission performance relative to the 2018's. My dealer parts guy looked things up and said the transmission assy part numbers are the same between 2018 and 2019, so the difference mentioned must have occurred in the computer mapping. Honda engineers probably now provided the 2019 change for the earlier models. Time will tell, but so far I'm surprised at the difference.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I traded a 2018 for a 2019. The transmission behaves as you described. On my '18 at WOT the tranny just ramped for shifting. On the 2019, it simulates actual shifts. I actually prefer the 2108's shift performance, but it's not really an issue for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
19-021 sounds like the one they did relating to the AWD, but the transmission update was totally separate. I think the '19 "shift" mapping update is a big plus, if for no other reason it likely minimizes wear the original early continuous transition slippage mode was operating in more, which will now result in prolonged transmission life

·
Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
19-021 sounds like the one they did relating to the AWD, but the transmission update was totally separate. I think the '19 "shift" mapping update is a big plus, if for no other reason it likely minimizes wear the original early continuous transition slippage mode was operating in more, which will now result in prolonged transmission life
They reprogrammed the shift to be more like traditional automatic for 2019+ models only. It was in one of their bullet points in the press release.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John35g, luckily I have a good relationship with some of the service guys at my local dealership and typically able to just walk in and chat with the techs. Since I didn't know whether the updates would actually address my concerns, I unfortunately didn't get any identifying info, but planning on stopping by there at some point to just let the tech know the outcome. While there I will try to get further details on the update applicable to the transmission

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is probably this. The fix/update has been out for a while. I forgot who pointed to this TSB awhile back?

View attachment 30458
This is exactly what was happening when I wrote my thread about using Amsoil CVT fluid. Mine has cleared up since I changed fluids. I guess it may return? I’m almost 25k on the Amsoil now so hopefully not. About to change it again. Too easy to not work it into a regular routine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do they have an update for the '16 HRVs? The CVT just kills my experience, no acceleration, no oompf, my girlfriend complains when driving it. Im contemplating trading it in for a 2021 model as I dont like the new HRV redesign but may stick with this if they can do something about my transmission

1 - 11 of 11 Posts