Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Two show-stoppers for the CX-3, for me... and both put me firmly and proudly in the minority: no manual transmission, and an aesthetic that, try as I might, I not only can't love, but actively hate.

Call me old-school (I'll be flattered), but a "driver's car" with an automatic is oxymoronic. And the slab-side / clerestory window look just makes me cringe.

If the HRV disappoints, I may look at a Mazda, but it'll be the 3, not the CX, and not even the CX-5, which is more visually appealing to me and offers a stick-shift, but is bigger than I want.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the main comment on Autoblog says it well:

"
They are both compelling designs filling the same uber tight market. They each bring strengths from their parent companies and yet, I am certain one will outsell the other by a long shot.

Honda HR-V is the best fit for most people looking in this class. It's the roomiest, has good mileage, decent looking, and appears to have no glaring faults with aggressive pricing. I wanted the Mazda to win but the little guy is just too cramped in the rear,a little too chopped off style wise in the rear, and I like that Honda gives you mag wheels even in the base model.The manual is a nice bonus for the 1-3% of people who will buy in the first year.

Both have very nice dash designs but I think Mazda missed the compelling reason to not simply get a Model 3 car if most will wind up with FWD versions of these units.

"

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've never seen a bad review for any of the manual 2.5 liter 2015 Mazda3s. I've driven the automatic 2015 2.5 liter Mazda3 Grand Touring hatchback. Great features and styling, but it doesn't have half the pep of the manual when starting from dead stop. How this impacts the CX3 remains to be seen as Mazda has not released all the trim options, if any. The backseat of the Mazda3 hatch is adequate, whereas the CX-3's back is said to be cramped at best. So on an overall comfort level the HR-V appears to have the edge. The HR-V magic seat also blows away whatever Mazda can offer in the CX-3.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> I think the main comment on Autoblog says it well

I've come to believe the CUV automakers had no intention of competing with each other, weird as that might sound. I think Mazda and Honda both want to close that sale that's about to walk out the door. Somebody's looking at a CRV and says "it's too big and expensive". Salesman walks them over to the HRV and has a sale. Somebody's looking a Fit or a Civic and says "I need just a bit more room". Saleswoman walks them over the HRV and has a sale. Same scenario at Mazda.

So while many of us in this forum are cross-shopping and comparing all these cars - I don't think Honda cares. The HRV is Honda's Goldilocks car - not too big and not too small?

·
Registered
389 Posts
scooterct, I think your right. To me, the HR-V will appeal to an older crowd, who would have purchased the Fit for the savings and MPG, but don't like dropping into and climbing out of a car anymore.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Honda demographics, the HRV is directed towards a young crowd.

scooterct, I think your right. To me, the HR-V will appeal to an older crowd, who would have purchased the Fit for the savings and MPG, but don't like dropping into and climbing out of a car anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curvilinear relationship to age. 66 here with kranky knees. But also attractive to a young ecologically fun minded bunch. The middle with kids and lots of stuff to haul, maybe too small.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a fairly fit 62 year old who wants the HR-V mainly for an economical yet kind of fancy dog car. (Competitive Dog Obedience Shows) Two Labrador sized crates could fit with room to spare. None of the other comparable vehicles have the magic seats (except for the Fit of course) to keep the crates level and comfortable. We have had our 2008 Fit from brand new and it's been wonderful. We are going to keep it but are looking forward to a little more room.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Honda thougt the Fit would be a first car for college kids too, but it didn't work out that way. Here in the Fit capitol of Canada the median age of Fit drivers seems to be 50+, but with a good number of 20s too, mostly female. Mary's curvilinear distribution... kind of an inverted bell curve. Everyone in the middle's driving CRVs.

Disclaimer: Data from totally unscientific and random personal observations. Accurate to within +/- 30% 7 times out of 13.

...but I predict an equal, or potentially broader appeal for the HRV.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think the HRV is intended for any kids. Seems most practical for singles or couples and maybe a cat or dog. ;)

Curvilinear relationship to age. 66 here with kranky knees. But also attractive to a young ecologically fun minded bunch. The middle with kids and lots of stuff to haul, maybe too small.

·
Registered
16 Posts
have been researching and researching both of these cars in awd. ready to actually see and drive both soon. either way, i think the consumer has two good vehicles to choose from here

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't think the HRV is intended for any kids. Seems most practical for singles or couples and maybe a cat or dog. ;)
I have one kid and my Vibe is our long road trip car. The HRV should fill that role just fine as well. Two kids would be more of a challenge for road trips, but I'd expect around town driving to be just fine.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should have no problem.

I have one kid and my Vibe is our long road trip car. The HRV should fill that role just fine as well. Two kids would be more of a challenge for road trips, but I'd expect around town driving to be just fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm a fairly fit 62 year old who wants the HR-V mainly for an economical yet kind of fancy dog car. (Competitive Dog Obedience Shows) Two Labrador sized crates could fit with room to spare. None of the other comparable vehicles have the magic seats (except for the Fit of course) to keep the crates level and comfortable. We have had our 2008 Fit from brand new and it's been wonderful. We are going to keep it but are looking forward to a little more room.
We also had the 2008 Fit, that we sold to purchase the 2015 Fit for my Daughter. She is in College and loves the Fit for both getting to class and work. It also helps us since we no longer need to drive from Nashville to Knoxville to pick her up (she can drive home whenever she wants now).

In fact, she is home now, and just this morning I was reminded how much I love the Fit, except the climbing out part. What attracted me to the HR-V from the start, is the added height. It will be much easier to get in and out of. Not to mention how helpful it will be once the hip replacements start (for my Wife of course).

·
Registered
514 Posts
We also had the 2008 Fit, that we sold to purchase the 2015 Fit for my Daughter. She is in College and loves the Fit for both getting to class and work. It also helps us since we no longer need to drive from Nashville to Knoxville to pick her up (she can drive home whenever she wants now).

In fact, she is home now, and just this morning I was reminded how much I love the Fit, except the climbing out part. What attracted me to the HR-V from the start, is the added height. It will be much easier to get in and out of. Not to mention how helpful it will be once the hip replacements start (for my Wife of course).
Smart girl in choosing UT!

·
Registered
48 Posts
One video review / look at the backseat room in that CX3 and that sealed the deal for me ....I wouldn't want to sit back there .....the HRV will be my choice. But on looks the CX3 is cooler looking I think ....but Hondas reliability speaks volumes to me.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
agree, if your buying the vehicle for which it is intended, the utility, there is a clear difference between one over the other.

there is always going to be pros and cons and interview a call but if you look at the vehicle for which it's marketed as you at least wanted to fulfill that purpose don't you? :)

The CX3 seems great as a 2 seater.

One video review / look at the backseat room in that CX3 and that sealed the deal for me ....I wouldn't want to sit back there .....the HRV will be my choice. But on looks the CX3 is cooler looking I think ....but Hondas reliability speaks volumes to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
everyone has different situations and needs for the car they are buying, obviously. i don't care about back seat room. same as with the fit, the back seats will be down for dogs and golf clubs. i think both will accommodate that.
i wouldn't want to sit in the back seat of my fit, or the hrv, or the cx3, or the crosstrek for any length of time. i still think both cars are good for the consumer, both companies making a nice product

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
everyone has different situations and needs for the car they are buying, obviously. i don't care about back seat room. same as with the fit, the back seats will be down for dogs and golf clubs. i think both will accommodate that.
i wouldn't want to sit in the back seat of my fit, or the hrv, or the cx3, or the crosstrek for any length of time. i still think both cars are good for the consumer, both companies making a nice product
The nice part about the HRV for me is that the clubs will fit in the back, with the seats up. And I can go with the seats bottoms up to have the dogs on the floor, and do both at the same time. I don't see that in the CRV. Just sayin'...:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts