Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my HR-V Obsession Bubble was burst today when I sat inside of a few of them here in Denver. I'm 6'4", and the front seats just don't cut it. They don't go back quite as far as they could, and the bottom part of the seat (which is not very deep) doesn't rise up to support your thighs. Meanwhile, the suburban middle-aged women were SWARMING around these HR-Vs! Anyway, I'm bummed and now I need your advice. I went down auto row and popped into Chevy and as I already knew, the Trax is EXTREMELY comfortable, just like it's sister, the Buick Encore. These cars were German designed and built in Korea, but I have trouble wrapping my head around driving a Chevy, let alone a Buick even though I think the reliability will be fairly decent. The depreciation is another story, I imagine. The Renegade was comfortable, but that style is just not for me. I felt like I was driving a tank! And Consumer Reports has nothing good to say about Fiat Chrysler in terms of reliability (despite the fact that Jeeps sell like crazy around here). I predict the Fiat 500X will be much more comfortable than the HRV, but again, it's an FCA product. Do you think the CX-3 will have better legroom? I don't care about the back seat at all since it will rarely, if ever be used. I may go back and look at the CX-5 as well. I drove it once 6 months ago and it seemed fairly comfortable although the ride was stiff.
By the way, I'm in a 2010 VW GOLF TDI (2 door) and fit fine in that little car because Germans design things for bigger people. I would consider a Tiguan but they really suck the fuel and the design is tired in my opinion. I'm open to a used Audi, but I don't want a big vehicle and I want to sit up higher now and get decent fuel economy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Overall, I still love the HR-V, but just wish it fit me better. Thanks! :crying:

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you go over to the CX3 forum, the Australians who are driving it already could answer your questions.

As a happy Kia Soul owner (for almost 100K miles), I have to ask - have you given it a shot during your shopping? You might be surprised when you try it. Yea, it looks weird. But CR rates it with great reliability and highly recommends it. 20 more horsepower than the HRV, and more torque. High seating position. 6" shorter than the HRV but the same cargo space. Very well equipped. And significantly cheaper after a typical $2,500 to $3,500 or more discount. Oh, and if you absolutely need AWD, coming this September (also more HP, and better fuel economy).

Sorry everybody for the Kia Soul sales pitch. I just love the little green freaks to death.

ps: I'm 5'9" and I felt cramped for space with a sunroof. 6'4"? You must have been suffering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Denver as well, like the HRV, but am so afraid will like the CX3 even more, if I can hold out to the anticipated fall CX3 introduction. Drove the CX5 and loved it compared to the CRV, but thinking as a second vehicle like the HRV & CX3 size. I'm only 5'9" so smaller vehicles are a good fit generally.
Like a lot about the HRV, going early tomorrow am to see it. (If any left !)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Darn; sorry to hear that DD. I hope it fits me better... I'm only 5'10, but it's all in my limbs: I have a basketballer's legs and arms, and a jockey's body. Headroom's never my problem, but I have trouble getting my legs out far enough. Guess I won't know until July, when the HRV finally comes to Canada.

Hope you find a great car that fits you to a T!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm taller than you and I fit okay in a 2nd gen Fit...so I'm surprised the HRV doesn't fit you. You should really consider the Golf, Golf Sportwagen, or GTI. Out of all the cars I've tried, those fit the best. If you need AWD, VW plans to come out with an AWD version of the Sportwagen later this year. Whichever car you choose, you should consider the lowest trim to avoid the sunroof (the enemy of the tall person). Good luck finding your car!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you looked at the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek, which has 43.5" of driver legroom? I was in a similar position to your: I'm a "leggy' 6'2" with 2 very bad knees who needed much more legroom than the FIT (41.4") or HR-V (41.2"). I looked at many possibilities and then tried the '15 Crosstrek Limited which was very comfortable and roomy for me. Short story: I bought it, now have 4k miles on it and love it...peppy, handles great and world-class AWD while averaging 28.5-29.5 mpg in semi-urban driving and higher on the h'wy.. I thought it'd be pretty good but, to my delight, it's much better than that! TRY it.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone! These are all great ideas and I'll look into them all. I'm curious, despite the looks of the Trax, what do you think about it's reliability? I mean, VW doesn't rank all that great on reliability as a brand, but I've had pretty good luck with those cars. I would consider Golfs again, but they are getting lower and lower to the ground all the time. Really want to sit up higher with the next vehicle. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
After finding the HRV too small, and wishing all Honda seats moved back further, I'm thinking VW again. I had a Jetta for 12 years and thought it was great, but at this point, I also want to be less close to the ground. I'd get a Tiguan if they would finally put a TDI in it. But I found the 2015 Subaru Outback to be comfortable, too. I should check out the Trax.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You'll be blown away by the leg room in the Trax. I actually need to move the seat forward a bit. The only issue is that the seat is way behind the "B Pillar", so when you get in and out it takes a bit more effort. However, it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to sit up higher. It's much easier piling yourself in and out behind the B Pillar in a vehicle that sits up higher than it is in a Golf or similar car which sits much lower. When you exit the Trax you just sling your legs out and sort of fall out of the vehicle. LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately, my HR-V Obsession Bubble was burst today when I sat inside of a few of them here in Denver. .... but I have trouble wrapping my head around driving a Chevy, let alone a Buick even though I think the reliability will be fairly decent. The depreciation is another story, I imagine. The Renegade was comfortable, .... I'm open to a used Audi, but I don't want a big vehicle and I want to sit up higher now and get decent fuel economy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Overall, I still love the HR-V, but just wish it fit me better. Thanks! :crying:
I have had so many of the thoughts you put here.....not so much about the comfort of the seat - I'm 5'8" so it worked OK for me.

BUT - I stayed away from many other options b/c I just don't trust those brands and I think you are spot on about reliability and retaining value in the cars you mentioned. If I could afford an RDX or Q3 - I'd be seriously considering....I'm trying to downsize and need something reliable that will last for awhile. I used CR extensively and really rely on their opinions and research on cars. Because this car comes from a reliable brand - I am willing to go out on the brand spankin' new car limb before the car has proven itself.

After mulling it over and obsessively searching for cars this past 6 months - the only other car I seriously considered was the CR-V. Did you try that model? If I thought the HR-V wasn't going to work - the CR-V was definitely my plan B.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You'll be blown away by the leg room in the Trax. I actually need to move the seat forward a bit. The only issue is that the seat is way behind the "B Pillar", so when you get in and out it takes a bit more effort. However, it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to sit up higher. It's much easier piling yourself in and out behind the B Pillar in a vehicle that sits up higher than it is in a Golf or similar car which sits much lower. When you exit the Trax you just sling your legs out and sort of fall out of the vehicle. LOL
Just a few "space" items re the Subaru Crosstrek and the Trax. You say that you want to ride 'high' (no illegal substances of course, LOL), well the Subie has ground clearance of 8.7" and the Trax only 6.2", The Subie also has more space in Front Legroom (43.5"/40.8"), hip room (52.2/51.7) and Shoulder Room (55.6/54.1).

Hope this helps you somewhat.:|

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had so many of the thoughts you put here.....not so much about the comfort of the seat - I'm 5'8" so it worked OK for me.

BUT - I stayed away from many other options b/c I just don't trust those brands and I think you are spot on about reliability and retaining value in the cars you mentioned. If I could afford an RDX or Q3 - I'd be seriously considering....I'm trying to downsize and need something reliable that will last for awhile. I used CR extensively and really rely on their opinions and research on cars. Because this car comes from a reliable brand - I am willing to go out on the brand spankin' new car limb before the car has proven itself.

After mulling it over and obsessively searching for cars this past 6 months - the only other car I seriously considered was the CR-V. Did you try that model? If I thought the HR-V wasn't going to work - the CR-V was definitely my plan B.

Best of luck to you!
I do fit better in the CRV seat (although not quite as well as the GM Mini SUVs) and I think its a nice. I just had my heart set on a smaller vehicle, I guess. Also, the CRV is so "common" and it would be fun to have something a bit more unique. Although I think it went through a recent "mid-cycle refresh", I have a hunch it won't be too long before it's entirely made over. I'm heading out today to check out the Subys. Somewhere I read they were having trouble with burning oil, but hope that issue has been corrected. If anyone knows about that, please let me know. Thanks for all your help during this "transition"!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do fit better in the CRV seat (although not quite as well as the GM Mini SUVs) and I think its a nice. I just had my heart set on a smaller vehicle, I guess. Also, the CRV is so "common" and it would be fun to have something a bit more unique. Although I think it went through a recent "mid-cycle refresh", I have a hunch it won't be too long before it's entirely made over. I'm heading out today to check out the Subys. Somewhere I read they were having trouble with burning oil, but hope that issue has been corrected. If anyone knows about that, please let me know. Thanks for all your help during this "transition"!
The 2013 and the very early 2014 cars had about 7-10% of them have very excessive oil usage issues. Since then Subaru made several changes and the issue has all but disappeared in the mid-late 2014's and later. Believe me I checked this issue out with a microscope b-4 I bought mine! Grill the dealer's service folks and see what they say...of course bring a grain of salt.

Consumer Reports rates the Crosstrek in its HIGHEST reliability category and also makes it a "Recommended" model. Also check out the Owner ratings on Edmunds.com and Cars.com. It's a hot seller according to surveys only spending about 15 days in dealer inventory vs. an overall avg of 50+ days for all vehicles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2013 and the very early 2014 cars had about 7-10% of them have very excessive oil usage issues. Since then Subaru made several changes and the issue has all but disappeared in the mid-late 2014's and later. Believe me I checked this issue out with a microscope b-4 I bought mine! Grill the dealer's service folks and see what they say...of course bring a grain of salt.

Consumer Reports rates the Crosstrek in its HIGHEST reliability category and also makes it a "Recommended" model. Also check out the Owner ratings on Edmunds.com and Cars.com. It's a hot seller according to surveys only spending about 15 days in dealer inventory vs. an overall avg of 50+ days for all vehicles.
Thanks for the info! I'll take a look a the Crosstrek and likely the CX-5 today...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

sirdrebin,
Did you find out exactly what Subaru did to fix the problem? I don't mean replace or rebuild engines, but actually make them right coming out of the factory.

I really want to consider the Forester, but I will be really ticked if I find I it is consuming oil during it's first months.

·
Registered
632 Posts
sirdrebin,
Did you find out exactly what Subaru did to fix the problem? I don't mean replace or rebuild engines, but actually make them right coming out of the factory.

I really want to consider the Forester, but I will be really ticked if I find I it is consuming oil during it's first months.
I second what Bice said!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sat in a lot of cars today, and I was actually quite impressed with the Subaru Crosstrek leg room! I think the Outback was even a bit more comfortable, although it's quite a bit more vehicle than I need. I also sat in a Q5 and it was awesome! Anyone have an extra $50 K laying around? LOL Also, I checked out the CX-5 again and it lacks leg room too. If only the front part of the seat could be raised a couple inches it would probably work. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? Maybe even for the HRV? I know it may void a warranty and also affect some safety features. But, I know it could be done. I hate being limited to vehicles just because the seat doesn't go back far enough or have enough adjustability. Hope you're all enjoying your HR-V first drives, etc! It's a sweet vehicle!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I read the details about the Crosstrek fix either on car101.com (a very reliable site) or subaruxvforum.com. and, of course, you can always google "Subaru excessive oil usage" for more sites tho' that shows a lot of 'quacks'/uninformed too.
I was solely focused on the XV so not familiar with the issue, if any, on the Forester 4 cyl. which is a different engine.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t54414_ds603934

Sigh. I really liked the Forester today. But after reading the link above where actual owners (of exactly the 2015 Forester I was liking) are having so many real problems, it's now off my list. In fairness, it appears to be only the 2.5L four cylinder engine. Apparently the 2.0 L turbo engine has no such problems.

Since today is horse racing day, I can observe "HRV takes the lead again". It'll be interesting to see if Consumer Reports changes their recommendation. Really strange to me that the Forester is their most highly-recommended SUV. How can that be with these issues?

·
Registered
632 Posts
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t54414_ds603934

Sigh. I really liked the Forester today. But after reading the link above where actual owners (of exactly the 2015 Forester I was liking) are having so many real problems, it's now off my list. In fairness, it appears to be only the 2.5L four cylinder engine. Apparently the 2.0 L turbo engine has no such problems.

Since today is horse racing day, I can observe "HRV takes the lead again". It'll be interesting to see if Consumer Reports changes their recommendation. Really strange to me that the Forester is their most highly-recommended SUV. How can that be with these issues?
The one flaw in Consumer Reports (well one of some) is that they wait for their subscribers to take the annual survey before coming out with reliability data. Even then, I'm not sure if work "covered under warranty" then makes the list or not (I've never taken the survey). You'll note in their long term reliability that Subarus tend to be brilliant for about 5-7 years, and then they go from solid red to solid black as the engines blow head gaskets (with the older engines).

Apparently they are reworking the survey to ask specifically about burning oil, so we may see them change their recommendations. Another factor is that certainly more people with the issue go online to complain than those who don't have an issue, so online reviews are generally biased toward people with problems.

I say all of this out of love for Subaru, don't get me wrong. I think they have the right philosophy when it comes to building cars and what matters to drivers. I wish more than anyone that this problem would be addressed and fixed. If Subaru just came out and did a proper recall and fixed the issue, like I said, they would be at the top of my list.

If you search the Consumer Reports Forum there is a thread about this issue and some interesting discussions.....http://forums.consumerreports.org/d...arsmaintenance/4074.1?redirCnt=1&nav=messages

1 - 20 of 29 Posts