Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can some look at the video and help understand what is happening with my car.
It is just 2.5 years old.

Ok, i can't upload the video it seems.

Symptoms i can see at the moment (part of the video):
HR-V will not start
All dashboard lights come on and blink with a clicking sound
Parking brake will not disengage

I uploaded the video, here is the link for it below
Honda HRV won't start
(
)

Thanks
Akki

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
248 Posts
Yes, that's it. At least as far as the symptoms you listed online go. You want a better diagnostic? You'll have to actually take the HR-V to some one to have it looked at.

As for what you should do and or what's cheaper... that's up to you to decide or find out. You need to look around to find out for yourself. Everyone's location is different, everyone's reason to do something is different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's it. At least as far as the symptoms you listed online go. You want a better diagnostic? You'll have to actually take the HR-V to some one to have it looked at.

As for what you should do and or what's cheaper... that's up to you to decide or find out. You need to look around to find out for yourself. Everyone's location is different, everyone's reason to do something is different.
Jump started it. It works. So definitely it was battery issue.
I am taking it to Honda service center & will take it from there.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
248 Posts
Classic case of a poor battery connection
Or a light was left on.

Or a door/hatch wasn’t fully closed.

Or prolonged lack of use.

Or too many short drive that don’t recoup the charge from each start.

Or possibly a bunch of other things I’m sure I know nothing about.

Over the internet diagnosing can only take it so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
When I had the EX. All lights are turned off automatically after about 10 mins. Even with door opened.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I had the EX. All lights are turned off automatically after about 10 mins. Even with door opened.
I just kinda being "in general" about it.

Goober, do you still recommend replacing the battery when it is fine?
But, is it fine?

I've noticed for the batteries I've gone through on my Fit, after about 3 years, if it drains to the point it can't start the car and then I recharge it, I start getting electrical gremlins every so often. And they only go completely away once I replace the battery.

2.5 years isn't a long time, but I think it's long enough that replacing it isn't so bad a compromise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a new battery in my crv after 3 years so your not far off . It never died on me but it tested a little weak at previous service appointment so before winter I bought new one to avoid any issues

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A dealer can load test the battery and settle the matter, I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead though.

I accidentally flattened mine camping once or twice, and it was dead in about 3 years I think (struggled starting in cold weather). As said above, so many unique things can contribute to battery life

Test it, replace if needed. A battery is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep. Honda batteries suck!
I purchased my 2018 Honda HR-V EX AWD around June of 2018, and I've had to have my battery replaced three times under warranty already. I've owned several cars over the past three plus decades of driving, and I've replace batteries, but I've never had a three batteries go bad so quickly before.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Averaging 7 months per battery seems pretty extreme. Maybe your driving habits have change with the HR-V?

The first thing that comes to mind is lots is short drives. Drives where the vehicle isn’t running long enough to fully recoup the charge used to start the engine.

Technically, I do a ton of short drives with my Fit and HR-V because I use them for deliveries. But, to counter the shortness of the drives from simply draining the battery without giving it time to recharge, I got remote starters installed. This allows me to lock the doors while still keeping the car running as I step out to do the deliveries. Sure, I’m getting pretty badly hit in the wallet with all the gas I’m using as it’s idling, but it’s better than having the car not start at a really inopportune moment.

And sure, I could do it without remote starters, but I’m not keen on the idea of leaving my keys in an unlocked car, as in the case with my Fit, or simply leaving the doors unlock in the case with the HR-V w/push button start.

With my Fit, I used to occasionally throw in super long random cruises after work. Pick a direction and go.

While everyone has different circumstances, I’m sure something similar can be squeezed in somewhere.

Like getting out of short drives through heavy traffic to go out of your way through longer, lighter, possibly less stressful scenic route. Heading home to change for going out, while leaving it running the whole time (within reason). Implementing (weekly? Biweekly?) day trips/picnics/etc, to some slightly distant area on the other side of a big city or the next town over. Or even just purposely change shopping locations to somewhere further.

Of course, that all assume short drives is the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Or a light was left on.

Or a door/hatch wasn’t fully closed.

Or prolonged lack of use.

Or too many short drive that don’t recoup the charge from each start.

Or possibly a bunch of other things I’m sure I know nothing about.

Over the internet diagnosing can only take it so far.
I have 2016 hrv and had to replace the batteries every year twice last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jump started it. It works. So definitely it was battery issue.
I am taking it to Honda service center & will take it from there.

Thanks for the help
I have a 2018 HR-V EX. I had to replace battery after 1 1/2 years. Surprised. Was told if is sitting a lot an not driven much battery would go bad. I drive about 5000 miles a year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts