Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Tips on how to use each mode? I am just picking up my vehicle tonight and wanted to know more information on this.. and how it works of course!

Dealer did not show me a good impression on how these features work and gave me an idea of what it is but I have yet to read the owners manual on how it actually works... I am a visual learner XD.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd be interested in tips on the paddle shifters as well. I read in the manual that "The 7-speed manual shift mode is especially useful when reducing the vehicle speed temporarily before making a turn." I know you can be in D and use the shifters temporarily, which is what I am interested in. I have several spots on my drive home where I have to make turns at the bottom of hills and I've heard downshifting is a good way to avoid having to ride the brakes as much. The mode is supposed to automatically cancel if you drive at a constant speed or accelerate or I think you can pull the + shifter for a few seconds.

I currently am driving in ECON mode. The only difference I have really been able to feel is that it allows for greater temp fluctuations before it reacts if you have the climate control set on auto. Like if you had your temp set at 75, it might not react until you reached 79, whereas if you weren't in ECON mode, it might react at 77. (Completely making up numbers - I really have no concept of actual degrees of change - just in that it is more delayed in econ mode.)

What do you mean by brake assistance? The brake hold? I use it some. You have to press it once each trip to turn it on - it goes off when you stop the car or when you unbuckle your seatbelt. To use it, you press the Brake Hold button and you get an icon on your dash that says BRAKE HOLD in green letters with an outline. When you come to a complete stop, another icon illuminates right below that one - it says HOLD, but it's background is green. You can then let your foot off the brake. The brake is released once you hit the accelerator. If you stay stopped for more than 10 minutes with the brake hold, it automatically switches it to the parking brake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great to Know! Thank you aatx, Anyone know what the "S" Below Drive stands for? One dealer said that it's essentially Sport mode and another said that it just drives like other vehicles with "L" or "2" ...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Great to Know! Thank you aatx, Anyone know what the "S" Below Drive stands for? One dealer said that it's essentially Sport mode and another said that it just drives like other vehicles with "L" or "2" ...

Yes, it's sport/shift mode and for you to use the paddle shifters with.

■ When the shift lever is in (S:
The shift mode goes into the 7-speed manual shift mode. The M indicator and the
speed number are displayed in the shift indicator. As the vehicle speed slows down,
the transmission automatically shifts down accordingly. When the vehicle comes to
a stop, it automatically shifts down into 1st.
If the vehicle speed increases and the engine speed reaches near the tachometer’s
red zone, the transmission automatically shifts up.
You can only pull away in 1st speed.
When canceling the 7-speed manual shift mode, move the shift lever from (S to
(D. When the 7-speed manual shift mode is canceled, the M indicator and shift
indicator go off.
■7-Speed Manual Shift Mode 17-Speed Manual Shift Mode
To improve fuel economy, the transmission may shift
up to a higher speed than the seventh under certain
circumstances. In this case, the number in the shift
indicator remains as 7.
In the 7-speed manual shift mode, the transmission
shifts up or down by operating either paddle shifter
under the following conditions:
Shift Up: The engine speed reaches the lowest
threshold of the higher speed position.
Shift Down: The engine speed reaches the highest
threshold of the lower speed position.
When the engine speed reaches near the
tachometer’s red zone, the transmission shifts up
automatically.
When the engine speed reaches the lowest threshold
of the selected speed position, the transmission shifts
down automatically.
Operating the paddle shifters on slippery surfaces
may cause the tires to lock up. In this case, the 7-
speed manual shift mode is canceled and goes back
to the normal D driving mode

·
Registered
235 Posts
7-Speed Manual Shift Mode Operation
Each paddle shift operation makes a single speed
change.
To change continuously, release the paddle shifter
before pulling it again for the next speed.
Recommended Shift Points
Use this table as a guideline for efficient fuel
economy and effective emission control.
The shift indicator blinks when you cannot shift up or
down. It indicates that your vehicle speed is not in its
allowable shifting range.
Slightly accelerate to shift up and decelerate to shift
down while the indicator is blinking.
The shift indicator may also blink when you cannot
shift down while driving in low speed. This prevents
the transmission from being damaged.

Shift Up Normal Acceleration
1 to 2 15 mph (24 km/h)
2 to 3 25 mph (40 km/h)
3 to 4 40 mph (64 km/h)
4 to 5 47 mph (76 km/h)
5 to 6 52 mph (84 km/h)
6 to 7 57 mph (92 km/h)

Sorry about the formatting - copy/paste from the manual.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My old Fit had the same paddle shifter set up. If you're in D, you can use the paddles to downshift on hills like choosing 1 or 2 in an automatic. You need to tap twice, tap first to engage the paddle shifter, tap a second time to actually select the gears. In S mode that's like driving a manual you do all the shifting minus the clutch work. If you go too far into the red zone I think the car will shift for you (been a while since I've done it). In both cases the number gear chosen will show in the center of the tachometer. I was told Econ is best for freeway driving, but that feature is new to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts