Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you subscribe to Car & Driver, take a look at their Road Test of the HRV in the June issue. Seems the observed C/D gas mileage was 35mpg. Quite impressive to say the least as typically the observed ends up being lower than the manufacturers EPA City/Highway.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That's amazing. But i'll still be on the look out for what mpg's are like for a wide range of hrv's and get an average out of that which i hope will be close enough to this.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sorry, I don't subscribe, can you copy over some info.

What were the results/test scenario ?
Manual or CVT
2WD or AWD
City, Highway or combined ?
Fuel efficient driving, aggressive driving, or moderate ?

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Too bad that they don't list the competitor's fuel economy on the side there. Does anyone know if the 35 mpg would make the HRV the segment leader for fuel economy?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look on their website, they show the following:

Jeep Renegade:

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 23/32* mpg
C/D observed: 21 mpg
Zero to 60 mph: 8.8 sec

Chevrolet Trax:

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 24/31 mpg
C/D observed: 23 mpg
Zero to 60 mph: 9.4 sec

Too bad that they don't list the competitor's fuel economy on the side there. Does anyone know if the 35 mpg would make the HRV the segment leader for fuel economy?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would not get too excited over that . In the HRV4ME thread, "Compact SUV Showdown......." The HRV returned 26MPG to the CX-3's 32.

Do I believe the CX3 will get 6mpg better than the HRV? No.
My point is the results of these independent tests will vary a lot do to the particular car used in the test and driving techniques of the tester.
The 35mpg HRV tested is a preproduction model no doubt carefully prepped by Honda before handing it over. Maybe a little special tuning? Been known to happen.

Better at this point to rely on the EPA numbers. For awd cvt 27/32
IMO the only way to a fair comparison is to use the EPA numbers.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
HRV4ME

On the second car and driver page you uploaded, in the lower right it lists
Interior Sound Level
Idle 43 dBa
Full Throttle 76 dBa
70 MPH cruising 69 dBa

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct but I thought in your previous message you were asking about the competitors?

HRV4ME

On the second car and driver page you uploaded, in the lower right it lists
Interior Sound Level
Idle 43 dBa
Full Throttle 76 dBa
70 MPH cruising 69 dBa

·
Registered
547 Posts
Pollyannaish review readings aside, this is all boils down to a test drive. Problem is most dealerships don't allow test drives on highways to the best of my knowledge so some o things like noise and acceleration must be taken on faith.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Gee, I guess they thought it was a little bit noisy, eh? "As intrusive and annoying as a sitcom mother-in-law".

I wonder how C&D managed to get an HRV for track testing that early? The lead time for print publication is usually something like a month.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The 28/31/35 MPG rating for the 2WD w/CVT also seems a bit low, considering the 2013 FIT, which doesn't have the CVT, also had that rating. What's more, that 2013 FIT, which I also have, actually doesn't even come out that low either, as I consistently get 32 MPG combined with it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would not get too excited over that . In the HRV4ME thread, "Compact SUV Showdown......." The HRV returned 26MPG to the CX-3's 32.

Do I believe the CX3 will get 6mpg better than the HRV? No.
My point is the results of these independent tests will vary a lot do to the particular car used in the test and driving techniques of the tester.
The 35mpg HRV tested is a preproduction model no doubt carefully prepped by Honda before handing it over. Maybe a little special tuning? Been known to happen.

Better at this point to rely on the EPA numbers. For awd cvt 27/32
IMO the only way to a fair comparison is to use the EPA numbers.

Well said. I too would like to see what everyone else gets once they start driving.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.