Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
what about the biggest safety factor-braking? has the worst rating, may look at mazda 3 again
As potential buyers I think we should all be concerned about the safety implications. However just as fuel mileage achieved by this particular Preproduction car may not be representative of cars coming off the line, maybe the braking performance will be improved as well. Something as simple as a tire spec change could effect these numbers. Hopefully Honda is not pursuing fuel economy so hard that they have specified hard compounds detrimental to braking and handling.

I would bet by the time the inevitable comparison test shows up in C&D a lot of these numbers will change. As a long time subscriber,(47yrs) I can tell you there is a history for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not a "timid" driver; I often accelerate faster than may be necessary and too often a few miles over the speed limit.
I recently drove from the Raleigh NC area to Washington DC, about 560 miles round trip. To keep up with traffic, I drove 70-75 mph most of the way The car's computer display said I averaged 35.8 mpg. I filled up twice to the automatic pump shut off point and then calculated that I averaged 35.6 mpg.
With regard to noise, the HRV is,in my opinion, slight less noise than 2006 Civic 2 door on acceleration, and considerably less noisy at cruising speed. Then again, I virtually always drive with the radio on (news, or classic or soft rock) and I'm rather oblivious to the "noise."
Retjac

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I am not a "timid" driver; I often accelerate faster than may be necessary and too often a few miles over the speed limit.
I recently drove from the Raleigh NC area to Washington DC, about 560 miles round trip. To keep up with traffic, I drove 70-75 mph most of the way The car's computer display said I averaged 35.8 mpg. I filled up twice to the automatic pump shut off point and then calculated that I averaged 35.6 mpg.
I saw nothing close to that on a recent trip from Atlanta to Delaware and back (~800 miles each way), averaging ~33 mpg, with ~60 mph moving speed (all calculated by GPS). As much as possible, I avoided interstates, except for I-95/85 from Richmond to South Hill, VA, and I-85 from Greensboro, NC to Atlanta.

HR-V EX FWD CVT, 1 passenger ~50 pounds of luggage, no significant winds or rain, A/C and cruise control on. Tires 33.5 PSI front, 32 PSI rear. Starting mileage ~1050 miles, finish ~2900 miles.

I'm not disappointed by these figures, which are almost exactly what I expected before buying the car. With more mileage, after first oil change I expect to see closer to 34 mpg on the highway, above that only downhill or with a tail wind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I usually get between 34 & 36 mpg with my HR-V EX. I don't use cruise control & my experience is that I get better mpg with out it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My wife doesn't use cruise control, and typically gets 30 mpg on the highway.
I did notice that if I am concentrating on my EFFICIENT driving (feathering the throttle, coasting when possible, keeping the ring green) I do get high 30's mpg if not 40mpg.

For the same drive, if I am not 100% concentrating on trying to be as efficient as possible, I will get more like mid 30's mpg (35).

And if I do use cruise control, especially if the road undulates up and down, my mpg will be around 35mpg.

EXL AWD CVT.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
And if I do use cruise control, especially if the road undulates up and down, my mpg will be around 35mpg.
When using cruise control, I typically keep it in Econ mode, and use the +- buttons on the steering wheel to back off slightly when climbing hills, increase on the downhill stretches, keeping it in the green zone as much as possible. With cruise control + Econ mode, the HR-V will accelerate from 25 to 65 on a flat surface without getting above 2000 rpm, and staying in the green zone the whole time. This is not something I can do reliably with my right foot. "Accelerate" is an absolute term, in that the speed changes over time, although it's not terribly useful in traffic. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gas mileage results can vary due to weather, temp, humidity, wind, and the actual fuel you get . MOST 87 octane ethanol gas can carry up to 10% ethanol . You can get a tank full of 6% ethanol then the next fill up 10 % ethanol etc . Fuel efficiency goes down with the higher percentage of Ethanol , it's not as efficient as good ole regular 87 octane .
For example, my Harley Davidson gets 4-6 more mpg on non ethanol gas than the 10% Ethanol stuff, and the power gain is very noticeable, especially when climbing the hills up through Tenn, Virginia etc. I have had 12 trips from Florida up to South Jersey over the last 7 years to feel confident in these numbers . There are a few gas stations between Florida and South Jersey that have non ethanol available to folks like myself who have not bought into all this green man made global warming nonsense politicians are dishing out , although your opinions may differ, so be it .

What caused the ice age ? Answer : It got colder

What ended the ice age ? Answer : It got warmer

Pretty obvious to me the climate has ALWAYS changed on its own .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gas Mileage

Now that the car has been out for many months, what are people actually getting for gas mileage? Can you please include if you keep the eco button on as well as highway vs city, or mixed?

·
Super Moderator
1,468 Posts
Now that the car has been out for many months, what are people actually getting for gas mileage? Can you please include if you keep the eco button on as well as highway vs city, or mixed?
I get about 24mpg driving about 80% city and 20% on the highway with the eco mode off. I also use drive on Sport mode every now and then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my EX, FWD, CVT last Oct. Took a 350 mile trip to the coast. wife and I, some baggage, no interstate, 55 mph plus a few extra. Spent 3 days driving around Beaufort, SC. Cool weather. 34 in front, 32 rear. Never used nanny mode, never will. Just put it in drive and go (reminds me of my old Buick Dynaflow). 32.2 mpg for the trip--not too bad for a car a few weeks old.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have an LX, 2WD, 6 speed. In the first 1000 miles I am averaging 34, with about a 50-50 split of city & highway driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My EX 2WD got 34.8mpg this last fill-up today with 910 miles on it. I've decided against using ECO mode until I've fully broken the car in, and done the first oil change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
EX, with automatic transmission, with ECO on, I get mid-to-high 30s mpg (usually around 36) on the California freeway, averaging 68-72 mph with cruise control on. Once I got as much as 40 mpg.
Stop & go traffic on city streets, usually 15 minute drive, I average around 20-24 mpg. Not doing too well with city driving mileage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
EX, with automatic transmission, with ECO on, I get mid-to-high 30s mpg (usually around 36) on the California freeway, averaging 68-72 mph with cruise control on. Once I got as much as 40 mpg.
Stop & go traffic on city streets, usually 15 minute drive, I average around 20-24 mpg. Not doing too well with city driving mileage.
I noticed that too, when I drive to my grandmothers farm in the Catskills, I average 35-40 depending on traffic flow.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts