Honda HR-V Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got about 6000 miles on my AWD EX-L. I track fuel economy religiously. I drive about 60% highway and I'm averaging 30 MPG overall. I live in Minnesota and all these miles have been since November. I anticipate I'll see a slight increase when the weather warms up. I do better on the highway than city miles (not surprisingly), but speed is a big factor. I'm NOT an aggressive driver and traditionally see higher mileage than sticker in all the other cars I've had.

Some things I've noticed:
* Mileage drops significantly over 65-70 MPH. I'm lucky to see 30 MPG above 70 MPH.
* If I drive less than 65 MPH, as in 60-65 MPH country highway driving, I can see around 35 MPG.
* I've seen no difference with eco-mode on or off. It's been off for most of my miles. I intend to use it on highway trips when I'm using cruise control a lot... apparently eco-mode makes the car less aggressive while using cruise. I've not used A/C yet, so can't speak to it's real-world impact to mileage when using A/C.

Check out fuelly(.com) for more info and the average economy other HR-V'ers are getting... There's a big span between high-20s and mid-30s. Unfortunately they don't distinguish between FWD and AWD models, so it's hard to know how the drivetrain impacts mileage and who you should be comparing against.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Some things I've noticed:
* Mileage drops significantly over 65-70 MPH. I'm lucky to see 30 MPG above 70 MPH.
* If I drive less than 65 MPH, as in 60-65 MPH country highway driving, I can see around 35 MPG.
* I've seen no difference with eco-mode on or off. It's been off for most of my miles. I intend to use it on highway trips when I'm using cruise control a lot... apparently eco-mode makes the car less aggressive while using cruise. I've not used A/C yet, so can't speak to it's real-world impact to mileage when using A/C.
Those observations are right own the middle; gas mileage on my EX FWD is almost exactly what it says on the EPA sticker, slightly better if I cut back on the speed. The HR-V's aerodynamics, while better than a brick, are basically those of a big box, and drag increases with the square of speed.

Eco mode basically softens the throttle, makes the transmission upshift at lower revs, and more reluctant to downshift at highway speeds — all features that I appreciate, which is why I always have it engaged. In my experience, Eco mode has a fairly small effect on gas mileage; perhaps 0.5 mpg. Even in city traffic with August heat in Georgia, A/C had minimal impact on comfort using Eco mode.

Cold temperatures, especially what you see in Minnesota, definitely affect gas mileage, especially for short trips, where the engine may just be getting up to operating temperature by the time you get to your destination.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love Fuelly! Good place to do research as well.

Personally I've also noticed a huge drop in fuel mileage as speeds increase as well as when temperatures drop. The worst was driving home from Tennessee to Indiana, fighting a strong headwind and temps in the low 20's while driving around 80 mph. Averaged around 25 mpg that tank (I'd been gone 5 weeks so I just wanted to get home!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The HR-V's aerodynamics, while better than a brick, are basically those of a big box, and drag increases with the square of speed.
The worst was driving home from Tennessee to Indiana, fighting a strong headwind and temps in the low 20's while driving around 80 mph. Averaged around 25 mpg that tank (I'd been gone 5 weeks so I just wanted to get home!)
The wind is brutal! Especially after switching from a Corolla :|

·
Registered
73 Posts
My H (2wd EX) has just over 1,000 miles on it now, and in the 4-5 fillups I've had (I always refuel w/ half a tank of gas) I've seen a steady increase in fuel economy. This last tank alone gave me 34.8 MPG, and I do about 60% highway, 40% city. Weather has been mild, usually in the 40s to 60s and since I'm still in break-in period, it definitely gets babied, not that I plan on changing my driving habits once it's thoroughly broken in.

Folks just have to remember that this is NOT a sports car or meant to be driven super hard. If fuel economy isn't what you're after buying the HR-V then you might consider one of the other brands turbo'd options! I think the Hr-v is a perfect commuter with great bang for buck, but I never expected it to do more than what Honda is good at!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just drove back and forth across the NC/TN mountains, about 245 miles each way. Going over, I faced heavy traffic for much of the way and got 34.7 mpg and that was confirmed at the gas tank when I filled up at destination (gas is cheaper in Tennessee). Coming back, with much lighter traffic, I got 39.9 mpg. This is in econ mode, with CVT, FWD, going no more than 5 mph over speed limit. I returned with almost a half a tank of gas, which is impressive range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been monitoring my MPG since I got my HRV (EX AWD) in mid-Feb this year.
With 6400 miles on it, I have a cumulative MPG of 30.3 and since crossing the 5000 mile mark, I have been getting between 32-33 MPG on each tank.

Pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully another long road trip should kick the MPG points up a notch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got less than 1000 miles on the OD and since day one the internal computers have been showing me a running average of about 23mpg. I own an EX-L FWD and until now I've driven about 75% city. I keep Econ Mode engaged; but now that it's summer, I've been running the A/C on max pretty steadily. I'm hoping I just need some more time on the wheel for it to average up. Good news is the avg mpg reading on the dash began it's life at 21mpg and has slowly climbed up since then. Anyone see cause for concern here?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got less than 1000 miles on the OD and since day one the internal computers have been showing me a running average of about 23mpg. I own an EX-L FWD and until now I've driven about 75% city. I keep Econ Mode engaged; but now that it's summer, I've been running the A/C on max pretty steadily. I'm hoping I just need some more time on the wheel for it to average up. Good news is the avg mpg reading on the dash began it's life at 21mpg and has slowly climbed up since then. Anyone see cause for concern here?
Nope. Mine did not start getting up to EPA numbers in the city till after about 6000 miles.

City driving with the A/C blasting will reduce MPG. For short trips around town, I get like 19mpg in the same situation. On the other hand, I can get 39-40mpg on the highway. I average about 30mpg (hand calculated) with about 70% city driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Driving the UK version which has a 1.5L engine has produced some good MPG as you can see in my signature. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nope. Mine did not start getting up to EPA numbers in the city till after about 6000 miles.

City driving with the A/C blasting will reduce MPG. For short trips around town, I get like 19mpg in the same situation. On the other hand, I can get 39-40mpg on the highway. I average about 30mpg (hand calculated) with about 70% city driving.

That's what I figured, thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
EX AWD (milano red)

16300 miles, after exactly one year of ownership

Never reset the trip B mileage, and I have averaged 30.3 mpg

I live in Long Island NY so I get some serious traffic, but I am also not an agressive driver
one day I got 39 mpg on a 30 mile flat highway drive with cruise control and no traffic. Another day with a horrible snow storm I averaged 14 mpg (those I think have been the extremes)
It has been interesting to see the effect that weather and winter gas can make, in the winter I was averaging 29 mpg per tank, while in the summer is more like 30.5-31

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I took a trip up to the Poconos to visit our daughter who works at a camp during the summers (middle school teacher during the school year). Most of the trip was on Interstate highways and driving in Economy mode with cruise control most of the way we averaged just over 39mpg. I was pleasantly surprised. the entire trip was 455 miles including incidental driving to go out to lunch and do some sight seeing in Pennsylvania. I think I could have done the whole trip on a full tank of gas but we needed to stop and stretch our legs and backs on the way home so I bought gas at a turnpike stop where the price was much less than we pay here in Bethesda.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I recently disabled the Eco Mode on my EX-L AWD. Since doing that my mileage has jumped 10-15%. Before I was averaging 31mpg, and since it is nearly 34mpg. This morning on the way to work, with a mostly highway commute and light traffic I got over 41mpg. With the afternoon heat and traffic we'll see how much it drops going home!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Since the nice weather started (65+ F), few months ago, I have been averaging better than 36.5 mpg. This is hand calculation, which is very close to the computer number.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it may be better to quote in km or miles per Liter. Because a US Gallon is 3.8 liters whereas a UK Gallon is 4.54 liters.

For example, for long distance, I am getting 33 mpg if we are talking about US gallon. But 40 mpg if I am talking about UK gallon.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think it may be better to quote in km or miles per Liter. Because a US Gallon is 3.8 liters whereas a UK Gallon is 4.54 liters.

For example, for long distance, I am getting 33 mpg if we are talking about US gallon. But 40 mpg if I am talking about UK gallon.
I have not used liters and Km for years, so I will stick to miles and gallons. :)
I am using mpg in US gallons. The 36.5+ mpg average is for trips from 20 miles daily commutes to short 4 miles hops. By the way I often get 40+mpg on some of the daily commutes.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 50 mile drive to work that is mostly highway and got my best MPG so far at 35.2. This is an EX awd with just under 1000 mi. Even my first tank was an average of 31.6 with the computer and pump calculations within .2 of each other throughout my testing. Very impressed as my V6 rav 4 use to get under 25 always.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts