Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone have any concerns regarding the headlights on their HRV? I have an Australian VTiS model. When driving on country roads at night I find that the headlights don't project very far forward. This makes it hard to read the road ahead and prepare for corners etc. The headlights give good visibility to the sides of the road but not forward. Also, the passenger side lights seem to project further than the drivers side.

I contacted Honda Australia and was told that the lights meet the relevant standards. They may be OK for city driving, where there is additional street lighting but on country roads I find they are poor and potentially unsafe.

Would appreciate hearing what other owners think.

:nerd:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just drove at night for the first time with my HR-V. On top of that it was raining fairly heavily. I was very happy with the headlights, much better than my previous vehicle. Not sure if the American version is different than the Aussie version?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We are yet to take delivery of our VTiS so cannot comment first hand, although I have read somewhere (?) of issues (?) with the headlights. The ADAS option in the L series has 'self adjusting' headlights, but that should not apply to the S series. Something I am going to consider, is the possible replacement of the fog lights with strong spot driving lights. I don't know if this is even an 'easy' option, but as fogs are rarely encountered in our location, I would like to consider the possibility. Has anyone else entertained this thought?
I wouldn't give up on a solution rosebud. Surely they are adjustable. Go back to your local Honda dealer and discuss the problem with them. Or perhaps you could talk with your local mechanic or auto electrician. Please let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Australian VTi-S and found the headlights a bit off-putting at first too but I'm used to them now and don't mind so much. I'm in a similar situation of driving on country roads but there's generally not too much traffic so I can have the high-beams on.
I was told that the reason they're lower on the drivers side so they aren't dazzling to other cars since they're so bright and would shine right into any cars approaching.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Headlights

Hi I have posted the same concern under Problems.
I have a Canadian HR-V LX model and feel like I am over-driving the headlights at 100 kph. Local Honda dealer checked them and said they were in spec.
I have changed them out to the Phillips Extreme lights , much whiter and further down road range. May still elevate the right one here in Canada for light off to the Rt. side. Best of Luck.

Loving My HR-V with Studded Snow Tires lol

Cameron

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will be doing a HID projector retro fit from Retrofit Source here in Atlanta soon. I will be sure to post up a DIY/Write up! Full HID retro fit is the way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you. If you're in the Atlanta area, I may be interested in a visit....
Sounds good! I wanted to pull the trigger during the retrofit source black Friday sale but other things came up. Keep an eye out for the write up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice to see more people doing HID projector retrofits. I went with the Morimoto Mini D2S on mine.
How did the install go? I am on the fence between the D2S's and the FXR's. I know FXR's will need some headlight modification but are top notch. Did you use Retrofit Source for your kit?

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts
How did the install go? I am on the fence between the D2S's and the FXR's. I know FXR's will need some headlight modification but are top notch. Did you use Retrofit Source for your kit?
It took me about 3 days on and off to complete everything. The D2S's are a bit annoying to put the light bulb in. It's really hard to do it with the headlight installed. Also, I had to cut the rear of my headlight so much that the projector doesn't lock into place. I can turn it slightly with my hand, although it doesn't move by itself. Do to the projector being heavier in the front the reflector vibrates slightly when going over bumps. Other than that, the lights are 100X better than stock and even some OEM HID's on other cars.

If I had to do it again, I would do a little more research and find some better projects. I didn't buy the parts from TRS, although the projectors are only sold by them, I belive. I found them on ebay for a good deal. The HID kit is from DDM tuning.

You can find more info in the link on my signature.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If I had to do it again, I would do a little more research and find some better projects. I didn't buy the parts from TRS, although the projectors are only sold by them, I belive. I found them on ebay for a good deal. The HID kit is from DDM tuning.....
So, if you were shopping for a new install, what would be your ideal dream material list?
Best performance, best quality, best look, reasonable install effort...
I would not say "and price is no object", but within reason.

There are so many choices out there with so many claims. Very hard to differentiate hype vs fact, also unknown facts similar to the vibration you mentioned.

I am toying with the idea of supplementing my Philips H4 LED headlights with a set of Rigid Industries SR-Q2 Driving Lights and a "custom" install which I will perform,
. I love my Philip LED low beam, but want to supplement the high beam in situation when I am driving in the very dark heavily tree lined back roads. Deer crossing is a problem.

But a "perfect" HID kit might be an alternative headlights.

·
Registered
137 Posts
OP, I guess we can't really do much with our LED headlights. The only thing you can do is as the others has suggested, maybe install HID globe for the foglights/driving lights to give you the extra brightness or use the high beam when the road is empty.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As many others have reported, at this time the Philips Ultinon bulbs seem to be the best alternative to the OEM incandescent H4 bulbs: very bright, with good beam pattern.

Review, with extensive photos: A REVIEW OF PHILIPS H4 12953BWX2 LED BULBS IN A 2005 TOYOTA TACOMA

Not cheap, but in the long run, doing the job right the first time usually ends up costing less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was looking at the philips led's, and ended up going with these which are based off the philips design

https://www.jdmastar.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=313

Do your research but for just coming out they are getting great reviews. Some are saying wider light spread and further throw as compared to the philips, all while more than half the price. Personally I can say they were just what I was looking for, match my led fog lights and led fog light day time running lights perfectly, super impressive cutoff with very little glare, slighlty more than oem halogen which is typically never the case with plug and play led/hid kits. Functionally they work the same as the halogens, no delay in high beam function or anything weird like that, though I did remove the drl fuse as to not have them on during the day as I'd like to have then last as long as possible. And install was simple. I go them for $85 shipped when they had a holiday promo code, currently they have an 8% off code with free shipping.

Thank me later.

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts
So, if you were shopping for a new install, what would be your ideal dream material list?
Best performance, best quality, best look, reasonable install effort...
I would not say "and price is no object", but within reason.

There are so many choices out there with so many claims. Very hard to differentiate hype vs fact, also unknown facts similar to the vibration you mentioned.
I haven't been keeping up on the latest HID projectors available. I don't have any specific projectors in mind but if you want to keep it easy to install, I'd stick with a "retrofit projector", Not an OEM projector. The difference is the rear threaded shaft in the back that makes it easy to install and keep in place. I would look for one that has a longer threaded shaft on the back though (Should avoid the need for cutting the back of headlight), and I'd look for a way to hold the front of the projector up to keep it from vibrating. Maybe a small stand between the bottom of the reflector to the bottom of the projector.

HID Planet is a good place for research and asking questions about HID retrofits.

As for the HID kit, I'd probably stick with a DDM Tuning kit. I've been using them for years and haven't had many problems.

·
Administrator
1,821 Posts
I was looking at the philips led's, and ended up going with these which are based off the philips design

https://www.jdmastar.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=313

Do your research but for just coming out they are getting great reviews. Some are saying wider light spread and further throw as compared to the philips, all while more than half the price. Personally I can say they were just what I was looking for, match my led fog lights and led fog light day time running lights perfectly, super impressive cutoff with very little glare, slighlty more than oem halogen which is typically never the case with plug and play led/hid kits. Functionally they work the same as the halogens, no delay in high beam function or anything weird like that, though I did remove the drl fuse as to not have them on during the day as I'd like to have then last as long as possible. And install was simple. I go them for $85 shipped when they had a holiday promo code, currently they have an 8% off code with free shipping.

Thank me later.
The are few copies of the Phillips Led design on eBay too. I saw one with the identical heat sink as yours for $75.

The LEDs have a lifetime of 5K hours. Takes a long time to burn them out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts